FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does anyone here also post on Milepoint?
View Single Post
Old Oct 15, 2013, 2:00 am
itsaboutthejourney
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by freeloader
Interesting thread, thanks for the link...

I'm always amused with chest puffing that goes on when they say how unfriendly FT was in the late '00 - the same FT that had their four co-founders in the power positions of site owner, talk board president, and moderators...
[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
... I don't think moderation works on a macro scale like North Korea any more than it does on a micro scale like here, and just drives the conversation elsewhere. Sure things can get ugly but that's a reflection of human behavior. I prefer to see it warts and all. Everything you guys wanted this EMRP forum to be for example has ended up on TBB because he lets people do no holds barred criticism of bloggers, not the watered down stuff you have to have here
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Randy himself made discussion of moderation the cardinal sin of FlyerTalk from day one of the moderator corps. His volunteer staff were above reproach. Period.

Randy himself made decisions to ban posters 'for life.'

IMHO, our current Community Director is FAR more tolerant and reasonable than Randy was in terms of allowing discussion of the management of FT. She also does not respond to criticism with rambling overly-defensive posts, but instead directly addresses issues. And she stays engaged, contrasted with Randy's infamous 'seagull management' technique. If you have respectful and candid feedback regarding FT's management I strongly encourage you to PM Carol. It's night and day vs. FT's former management.
^^^^^^^

SanDiego1K deserves kudos for an open ear and thoughtfully implementing many quiet improvements, including showing some moderators the door or talking them into taking some "time off". But I feel FT would be even more successful if there was an opportunity for members to see the "warts and all" stuff that ma91pmh refers to.