Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: riced
Let's put this in a wiki post!
Please include: route; original class - new class; original price paid; final price; where the upgrade was obtained [via bid or at check-in]; month of flight.First Letter of your last name.
  • AUH-SYD and MEL-AUH, J-F both at $1250 AUD.
  • NRT-AUH Y-J $950USD or ¥110,000JPY offered at check in.
  • AUH-DEL AU$150
  • IST-AUH AU$400.
  • JFK-AUH Y-J US$1,400 at check-in.
  • JFK-AUH Y-J US$1,180.
  • AUH-JFK Y-J US$1,150 (March 2015).
  • JFK-AUH Y-J US$1,100 (April 2015)
  • AUH-GRU J-F AED2575 (€650; US$700) minimum upgrade bid accepted (April 2015)
  • SYD-AUH J-F A380 US$1,050 $50 above min bid. (October 2015)
Print Wikipost

Offered a paid upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
If you're departing flight from CMB is in business class then yes. Plusgrade upgrades offer the same benefits as regular business tickets, except for the limo transfers and miles bonus.
Ok, thanks for the info! Hope my bid passes...
Old May 2, 2013, 7:33 am

Thumbs down

The flight AUH-BKK was indeed a nice and pleasant experience in J class....however i have some details to share here : AirBerlin staff could not provide my eticket for AUH-BKK since they didnt have access to EY booking system...so i had to sort this out at AUH.where i met a more or less helpful staff...i went straight to EY lounge, but they were no help...next stop at Transit Desk...here, again more or less effective people...the guy at the desk was more occupied to flirt by distance with other EY staff...his attitude was kinda superior and condescendent...but, after more than 30 minutes, he managed to deliver a J BP...BUT, to my surprise, when i went back to the lounge, i was denied access because this type of upgrade (or promotion, how they called it) does not allows you to enter the lounge...i buyed my ticket through a travel agency, at a discount price indeed, but nobody told me about no lounge access at the time of bidding....needless to say i was very disappointed....and the miles for the flights are still not credited into my account...if this is the worlds leading airline, then i am Justin Bieber....
Old May 3, 2013, 12:32 am

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
parabone, read reply #2, doubt anyone get additional miles?
Old May 26, 2013, 6:18 pm
Suspended

I know this thread is a bit old, but has anyone had any recent experience of paying to upgrade from JFK - AUH? If so, how much did you pay?

Cheers ^
Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:57 am

Programs: Etihad, Qantas
Paid upgrades still been offered as much as in the past? Trying to decide whether to risk it or just purchase my FRA-AUH-MEL flight in business....
Old Jul 24, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, UA GLD, Marriott GLD, Hyatt GLD
+1 - any recent experiences for anyone regarding these paid upgrades?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 3:02 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by KP78
Paid upgrades still been offered as much as in the past? Trying to decide whether to risk it or just purchase my FRA-AUH-MEL flight in business....
If you 100% want to be in business, then buy business. Even if you get a Plusgrade offer there's no guarantee of it being accepted. I've seen people bid ridiculous amounts for the upgrades, and it only takes a couple of people like that and the seats will be gone.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 5:55 pm

Dear Wozza, not really a smart remark

I tried to book a biz class ticket BKK-AUH-BRU and no seats available on the dates I need to travel.
Thus I booked Y and within minutes booked an upgrade with miles for the first segment.
Being short of 3k miles for a second upgrade I did perform a try-out anyway.
Only on the last leg did I get an offer for an upgrade costing 8350THB (around 210 euro) and my remaining 26k miles I guess. I had nothing to pay for the first segment upgrade, thus I wonder what the 210 euros represent, especially since quotes here for a Plusgrade AUH-europe/Asia begin around 300 euro.

Checking expertflyer I see all 4 segments have plenty of seats available, but only the 4th segment has all booking classes open and that's 7 weeks away.

Thus I find it reasonable to wait EY to release seats one week before op day to see if I can bid for the second leg, I will then have enough miles to upgrade segment 4 with miles and hope to bid again for segment 3 in the week before I fly the return.

Last option is to pay for upgrade at airport if any seats left before departure (if bidding is no longer offered).

Anyway, I find EY to be too expensive lately and will consider switching to QR (after they opened new Doha airport) or try EVA to AMS (2k euro) or WY (Oman) to FRA and travel lightly packed (1 bag iso my usual 50kgs...)

Last edited by tartempion; Jul 25, 2013 at 6:02 pm
Old Jul 26, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by tartempion
Dear Wozza, not really a smart remark
I answered the OP's question directly and succinctly.

Feel free to post your garbled responses all you like, but don't make snide comments on my posts when I was doing nothing more than replying to another flyer's query.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by KP78
Seems so, received mail yesterday (since I usually buy business class ticket, but bought Y because no J seats available when booking)
Old Sep 29, 2013, 4:34 am

Programs: Free agent AAdvantage LT GLD
Requested J-F upgrade AUH-JFK at the checkin desk and was offered it for $800USD which I took. Ticket is an AA J partner award.

Am in the air now using the Wi-Fi service. $21.95 for 24 hours.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by rayfes
Requested J-F upgrade AUH-JFK at the checkin desk and was offered it for $800USD which I took. Ticket is an AA J partner award.

Am in the air now using the Wi-Fi service. $21.95 for 24 hours.
The wifi should be free in F. Or at least, it always has been for me.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
I got offered the following upgrade today (T-7 days)

Just had the following for J-Y

MCT-AUH £60 - £160
AUH-LHR £470 - £810
LHR-AUH £470 - £810
AUH-LHR £60 - £160

Too shorter flight to consider, and I'm paying this one this time sadly.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 1:11 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
So approx 36 hours prior to travelling I received an SMS from my bank to say my account had been debited by ETIHADUPGRADE for the bid amount I'd selected (the minimum) however at T-24 I haven't received any mail and cannot manage my booking or check in online, so called the call centre to be advised that the upgrade was accepted but was in a 'queue' for being processed and I should get an email in the afternoon or evening to confirm it, but she would book my seats for all sectors regardless.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: EK Silver, , ba exec club gold. Thai Air Silver, SPG - Gold.Etihad gold
Wifi in F

Flew LHR to SYD mid September 2013 and wifi was not free. I was told the free service only applied during the wifi trial. I declined to pay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.