Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: riced
Let's put this in a wiki post!
Please include: route; original class - new class; original price paid; final price; where the upgrade was obtained [via bid or at check-in]; month of flight.First Letter of your last name.
  • AUH-SYD and MEL-AUH, J-F both at $1250 AUD.
  • NRT-AUH Y-J $950USD or ¥110,000JPY offered at check in.
  • AUH-DEL AU$150
  • IST-AUH AU$400.
  • JFK-AUH Y-J US$1,400 at check-in.
  • JFK-AUH Y-J US$1,180.
  • AUH-JFK Y-J US$1,150 (March 2015).
  • JFK-AUH Y-J US$1,100 (April 2015)
  • AUH-GRU J-F AED2575 (€650; US$700) minimum upgrade bid accepted (April 2015)
  • SYD-AUH J-F A380 US$1,050 $50 above min bid. (October 2015)
Print Wikipost

Offered a paid upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2012, 5:34 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I've never been able to bid for the return flights at the same time as the outbound.
A difference experience than mine.

Four flights across 2 weeks. All offered for upgrade bidding at the same time.

Acceptance / declining occurred separately.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 6:45 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
That's interesting.

I've probably had 10 Plusgrade offers, and not once have I been able to bid for my return at the same time as my outbound. Rarely more than 14 days apart, either.

I wonder why you were given that option and I wasn't.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 5:19 am

Programs: Qatar Gold, Etihad Silver
I had 3 flights over a period of over 2 months. I recieved an offer for all 3 flights about 2 weeks before the first. Wasn't informed if they were accepted until a couple of days before each leg.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Offered a paid upgrade

No plusgrade offer for me but asked for a paid upgrade at the checkin desk and was offered a so-called "instant upgrade" at the fixed price of 395.- EUR for FRA-AUH irrespectable of booked Eco class. No lounge access, no Chauffeur Drive, mileage I don't know.

BTW friends got a paid instant upgrade into C at the counter over at EK for 380.- EUR for MUC-DXB on the A380 inclusive of lounge access and a (although demanded/forced) chauffeur drive in DXB.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:29 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Well we got our email yesterday with the upgrade offer.

It offers both outbound and return MAN-AUH and AUH to MAN.

The minimum price was £410 plus £65 tax and the maximum £820 plus £65 tax per person. Sadly we cannot even afford to do it one way. As much as we would love to, I really cannot justify spending £950 (minimum price) for 7 hours in a plane seat
Old Jan 18, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.
Thanks for all your advice....bidding away

It is my second time on Etihad and I am flying from Bangkok to AUH and then right on to NYC. So long flights. I am in C however received upgrade bidding information for both AUH-JFK-AUH flights...There is no F on the BKK-AUH

The bidding started out at $850 USD- to around $1500 if my memory serves...each way. I am 6'5+ and the business class seats don't fit me so I am debating...I have raised and lowered my bid twice....And have finally chosen my number and gave it up to the upgrade gods....The highest loads they are flying are to the USA so I am not holding out too much hope. Also because business is near full...competition for the seats in F will be tough. Especially because many businesses WILL pay for F on a 15 hour flight.

Anyway....I should know in the next few days....I will post back. Being tall on airplanes is a curse.

Cheers! NYC
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.
Got IT!!!

Today I received a call from Etihad.....My "Verified by Visa" from the USA kicked back my credit card. My upgrade from J to F had cleared....They were willing to charge the amount in USD that I had bid out of their central reservations office. The man on the phone confirmed my reservations for limos meal requests etc. F appears to be about 3/4 full however Y and J are full full. He was very professional.

I have no seat assigned however my seating requests have been noted.....I don't know what the story is with that as the flight was under "airport control" 48 hours before.......

Glad I am getting into NY soon.....Storms a coming...brrrrrrrrr

Safe travels to all NYC
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by ngfan
No plusgrade offer for me but asked for a paid upgrade at the checkin desk and was offered a so-called "instant upgrade" at the fixed price of 395.- EUR for FRA-AUH irrespectable of booked Eco class.
So if Y->C on FRA-AUH sells for EUR 395,-, would anybody know what could be a good guess for C->F on AUH-FRA?

Many thanks.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:52 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by decentmove
So if Y->C on FRA-AUH sells for EUR 395,-, would anybody know what could be a good guess for C->F on AUH-FRA?

Many thanks.
I've successfully upgraded C-F on AUH-LHR for £450, so I'd assume a similar figure to FRA.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: ALL MAJOR FFP AND FSP
Originally Posted by Eoin
Is it worth it?, I don't think so. Upgrading with miles (if you have them) is a much cheaper option IMO. I've flown 30 segments in the past 14 months and got my first OP UP on AUH-BKK last week. Nicer than Y for sure but would I pay an extra €1000 for the pleasure of J on the whole trip, no!.
I'd rather have the cash to fly as frequently as I do.

That being said, I'm starting to use my miles to upgrade the final leg of my journey home AUH-DUB as J gives me the chance to get some decent sleep before work that morning. Still, I wouldn't be dropping £440 for it when I can get it for 28k miles (about £160)
How did you arrive at the valuable of 28k = £160?

is it possible to somehow obtain EY miles at the value specified?

To date I am not aware that EY is selling miles...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by ldnhlj
How did you arrive at the valuable of 28k = £160?

is it possible to somehow obtain EY miles at the value specified?

To date I am not aware that EY is selling miles...
Assuming an Amex MR transfer bonus of 25% you could easily argue that 65k EY miles are obtainable for £450.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:30 pm

Can you shed some more light on how to go about this?

What exactly is an Amex "MR" transfer?

Thanks.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by decentmove
Can you shed some more light on how to go about this?

What exactly is an Amex "MR" transfer?

Thanks.
Where are you based?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: Qatar; Etihad; Flying Blue
got offered an upgrade from business to F on both AUH-MEL and MEL-AUH (even tho the dates are 10 days apart)
sliders went from 605 to 1060 euro
Old Mar 2, 2013, 1:56 am

For my relatives travelling MEL-AUH-BEY, no offer received but now for the return they got offered to upgrade Y-J, the lowest for the first sector was 170 AUD, for the long haul 785 AUD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.