Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: riced
Let's put this in a wiki post!
Please include: route; original class - new class; original price paid; final price; where the upgrade was obtained [via bid or at check-in]; month of flight.First Letter of your last name.
  • AUH-SYD and MEL-AUH, J-F both at $1250 AUD.
  • NRT-AUH Y-J $950USD or ¥110,000JPY offered at check in.
  • AUH-DEL AU$150
  • IST-AUH AU$400.
  • JFK-AUH Y-J US$1,400 at check-in.
  • JFK-AUH Y-J US$1,180.
  • AUH-JFK Y-J US$1,150 (March 2015).
  • JFK-AUH Y-J US$1,100 (April 2015)
  • AUH-GRU J-F AED2575 (€650; US$700) minimum upgrade bid accepted (April 2015)
  • SYD-AUH J-F A380 US$1,050 $50 above min bid. (October 2015)
Print Wikipost

Offered a paid upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2013, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by colcol
Flew LHR to SYD mid September 2013 and wifi was not free. I was told the free service only applied during the wifi trial. I declined to pay.
Yes, contrary to what Ausbt claim in their article that wifi for First is free. I learned this the other day. Unfortunately despite the announcement by the cabin crew that wifi will be switched on, the page gave an error and couldn't sign up on SYD-AUH despite several tries..

On AUH-LHR the service was again switched on but did not show on my phone!

My friend flew the same flights few weeks prior and reported that the on the first sector (77W) the paid service was for 24-hour block. On the second flight (A333), it was per MB and showed as a different provider.

I think this deserves its own thread (Mods please intervene).
Old Oct 11, 2013, 5:33 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Further update, on my return trip at T-24 I received an email stating that my minimum bids had been rejected. Then at T-12 hours I got a call from a guy at Etihad who said the offer was still available and he would process the payment over the phone as per my bids.
So the process doesn't seem so cut and dry.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Yachtman
Further update, on my return trip at T-24 I received an email stating that my minimum bids had been rejected. Then at T-12 hours I got a call from a guy at Etihad who said the offer was still available and he would process the payment over the phone as per my bids.
So the process doesn't seem so cut and dry.
This happened to me at the airport, once. Got told the offer was still available as a flex J pax who had previously been accepted for the upgrade had changed their flight.

I questioned if they got back their money for the upgrade, but the agent was unable/unwilling to tell me.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:29 am

Programs: QFF P1 / OW EMERALD, VA PLATINUM, ETIHAD GUEST GOLD, IC RA, HH DIAMOND
I received the email 2 weeks prior to initial departure from BKK to bid for an upgrade from J to F for the AUH-CDG sector of my trip (out of 4 sectors, this was the only one with a F cabin). Minimum bid was $380 AUD - and that's exactly what I nominated. I am an EG Gold member and booked my flights directly with Etihad via their website. Upgrade approved almost 3 days prior to departure, notified by email. Worth EVERY cent.... Used the F lounge which was an experience in itself. IMO, many other F lounges could learn a thing or two from this one....!
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by pyxis
. I am an EG Gold member
Assuming you mean EY. Not sure what good status with Enerjet would do you here.

I agree about EY, I think their First cabin is a great way to spend a few hours BUT I do consider EK's A380 a cut above even EY.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by parabone
The flight AUH-BKK was indeed a nice and pleasant experience in J class....however i have some details to share here : AirBerlin staff could not provide my eticket for AUH-BKK since they didnt have access to EY booking system...so i had to sort this out at AUH.where i met a more or less helpful staff...i went straight to EY lounge, but they were no help...next stop at Transit Desk...here, again more or less effective people...the guy at the desk was more occupied to flirt by distance with other EY staff...his attitude was kinda superior and condescendent...but, after more than 30 minutes, he managed to deliver a J BP...BUT, to my surprise, when i went back to the lounge, i was denied access because this type of upgrade (or promotion, how they called it) does not allows you to enter the lounge...i buyed my ticket through a travel agency, at a discount price indeed, but nobody told me about no lounge access at the time of bidding....needless to say i was very disappointed....and the miles for the flights are still not credited into my account...if this is the worlds leading airline, then i am Justin Bieber....
Unless Parabone and I were both unlucky, it seems Etihad may have an issue regards Plusgrade tickets and partner airlines.

Offered the minimum £420 for the AUH->MAN leg of CMB->AUH->MAN->EXT and was accepted. At CMB the agent was unable to issue boarding card for the final MAN->EXT leg and advised me to pick it up in AUH.

Three colleagues travelling identical itineraries with me (but who hadn't upgraded) had no issues and were given all boarding passes at CMB, including the final leg. All of our bags were checked right through to EXT, however.

At AUH I went to the transfer desk and after a long wait was told FlyBE's systems "were down" and I should pick up my boarding pass in MAN. I asked them to make a phone call to ticketing dept etc to confirm, but they flat refused. I was already a bit suspicious my upgraded e-ticket may not have been correctly re-issued.

I went landside as I had a second bag to check-in (no problem with that) and again tried to obtain the last boarding pass, no luck. Back airside again, tried the transfer desk (different agent) and still no joy. Asked the agent outright if I definitely had a ticket on the final flight and he said yes, just a problem issuing the boarding pass.

At MAN called Menzies from the phone in the transfer area who happily "confirmed" me onto the MAN->EXT flight and took my 2 bag tag nos, saying I could pick up the boarding pass at the gate.

Went to gate as soon as it opened only to be told that I wasn't ticketed on the flight!!!!!! This was done while I waited and whilst the gate opened and other passengers began boarding and finally I was allowed onto the plane! Luckily there were 2 spare seats, I was cheerfully informed had there been none I would have been out of luck [and presumably a damn good claim for EU261 denied boarding!]

So if you are accepted for a Plusgrade upgrade and your itinerary involves an Etihad codeshare/partner airline I would strongly urge you to double-check with their ticketing dept that the new e-ticket has been re-issued correctly (admittedly not always easy as it is usually <24hrs before you depart you will find out!)

I was also very disappointed to be told an outright lie by Etihad staff at the transfer counter in AUH, simply because he couldn't be bothered to make a phone call, despite repeated requests. It seems staff at CMB, AUH (airside & landside) & MAN transfer desks all just wanted rid of my problem by ushering me on to the next port of call!

Last edited by Nikko5; Oct 16, 2013 at 12:12 pm
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:37 pm

Sounds like a bit of a nightmare Nikko5, glad it was sorted in the end. I don't mind dealing ith missed connections or overbooking, but when ticketing issues arise it really becomes a hassle.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Nikko5
I was also very disappointed to be told an outright lie by Etihad staff at the transfer counter in AUH, simply because he couldn't be bothered to make a phone call, despite repeated requests. It seems staff at CMB, AUH (airside & landside) & MAN transfer desks all just wanted rid of my problem by ushering me on to the next port of call!
Picture this: a uniformed agent behind a desk is approached by a passenger asking them to do whatever that is. Now in a humane world, the agent will abide given their role is customer support. But because most are doing their job, have some fear of being disciplined or even losing it , on top of their ego, will decline and brush the passenger off.

I ran into numerous situations like this with EK and EY and have learned to stick my head low and persist. I would not budge from my place until I get a resolution which often comes with an apology from the agent.

Here's an example (with my comments) from dealing with EK chauffeur desk at DXB when wanting to enquire about a pick up for the next day:
- Sorry Sir, we can't access bookings for pick up. (not true because I've done this before, but kept asking them, are you sure? Since when?).
- Sorry Sir, your booking doesn't show from our end. Call Qantas. (Qantas specifically says that I contact EK chauffeur drive for DXB transfers).
- Sorry Sir, your booking is not showing up on our system. Call EK hotline (partially true, he was typing the wrong booking reference, but then aren't you EK staff with access to an EK terminal?). By this point he calls his supervisor who comes immediately and figures out what's going on.
- Real sorry Sir, now we can see your booking! We were looking into the wrong system! (Apology accepted, but you were looking into the same 'system' all along!).

Last edited by edy4eva; Oct 16, 2013 at 4:40 pm
Old Oct 18, 2013, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by edy4eva
I ran into numerous situations like this with EK and EY and have learned to stick my head low and persist. I would not budge from my place until I get a resolution which often comes with an apology from the agent.
I did spend 30mins at the AUH transfer desk to be fair (completely missing the lounge, although reading above it seems the Plusgrade tickets are not eligible for this anyway...)

Much more though, and I would have missed the AUH->MAN flight altogether!
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:52 pm

I used a plus grade Y-J for lounge access, no problems.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 9:35 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Yachtman
I used a plus grade Y-J for lounge access, no problems.
Agreed:

Used Plusgrade successfully through AUH X 2 and no problems with Lounge Access.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Agreed:

Used Plusgrade successfully through AUH X 2 and no problems with Lounge Access.
Lounge access on EY is a funny one. I had people adamant you couldn't access the F lounge in AUH with an inbound F BP if your outbound was in J, but my experience has always been the opposite.

I really think it depends on the mood of the agent.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: QR Gold, SQ Gold, MH Gold, Hertz Gold
Here's an odd one...

I was flying Dub - AUH - KUL 20/21st of this month in Y. I had upgraded to J with points for the AUH - KUL sector.

Got the requisite email offering to bid on an upgrade for the DUB - AUH sector. Bid RM 2,500.00 (it would only let me bid in ringgit as the ticket originated in Malaysia, I am assuming). This is approx Euro 570.00. It was about a mid range bid.

Got an email the day before the flight stating the bid had been rejected.

Got to the airport and asked how much it would be to upgrade in cash. Was told it would cost Euro 460.00. I said thanks very much!

Was also told by the slightly grumpy check in woman that I would have no lounge access and my bags were too heavy. When I told her I was Gold, she became much less grumpy very quickly and I had a superlative breakfast in the lounge. I still think Dublin is one of Etihads best lounges. Food is restaurant quality. Service is beyond.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 10:52 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Just be aware that a Plusgrade upgrade does not increase your luggage allowance whilst upgrade using miles does, around 44 euro/kg from AUH to BKK!

See this mail from EY customer support:

I thought it will be also at your benefit if I explain to you that guests will be entitled to the following benefits when travelling in the premium cabin via the instant upgrade:

· Meal service according to the upgraded cabin of travel (Special meals are unlikely to be provided due to time constraints)

· Fast track immigration clearance in Abu Dhabi

On the other hand, the below privileges will not apply to these guests:

· Premium check-in other than originally booked

· Chauffeur service

· Priority handling for checked baggage

· Lounge access

· Additional checked baggage allowance

· Frequent flyer mileage accrual as per the cabin of travel

Last edited by tartempion; Nov 6, 2013 at 1:05 am Reason: add ey customer support mail
Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:14 am

Etihad Paid Upgrade

Hi Guys, I just got an offer for a paid upgrade from JFK to AUH, minimum bid is $1000 from Y to J!!! do you guys think it will be cheaper if I wait to do it in the airport?? guys any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by bill7578; Nov 10, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.