Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: riced
Let's put this in a wiki post!
Please include: route; original class - new class; original price paid; final price; where the upgrade was obtained [via bid or at check-in]; month of flight.First Letter of your last name.
  • AUH-SYD and MEL-AUH, J-F both at $1250 AUD.
  • NRT-AUH Y-J $950USD or ¥110,000JPY offered at check in.
  • AUH-DEL AU$150
  • IST-AUH AU$400.
  • JFK-AUH Y-J US$1,400 at check-in.
  • JFK-AUH Y-J US$1,180.
  • AUH-JFK Y-J US$1,150 (March 2015).
  • JFK-AUH Y-J US$1,100 (April 2015)
  • AUH-GRU J-F AED2575 (€650; US$700) minimum upgrade bid accepted (April 2015)
  • SYD-AUH J-F A380 US$1,050 $50 above min bid. (October 2015)
Print Wikipost

Offered a paid upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2012, 1:41 pm

I asked for an upgrade j to f at check in last week, syd-auh. Ended up forking 800US for the 14 hour hop with the added privacy and space of 2 suites.
It was worth it though.
I was issued with an actual paper ticket, my first paper ticket in a decade, hand written too!
Btw I upgraded from a reward ticket.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
Just did JFK-AUH in Y. Asked about instant upgrade from Y to J at the check-in desk and was told it was $700 but unfortunately J was over-sold so unlikely to be any seats available, however they said try again at the boarding gate in case there were no-shows, but that didn't happen.
Tried again on the AUH-BOM sector at the transfer desk at AUH, was told Y was oversold so I would most likely get upgraded as there were only two Silvers in Y (me included) and 6 oversold seats and told to tray again at the gate. At the gate it turned out there was no need for any upgrades due to oversold seats, as there were many no-shows, tried asking for instant upgrade and pay with CC but agent said that could not be done at boarding gate, only at transfer desk or calling reservations (he basically did not want to help). Oh well, will try again on the way back.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:03 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
How many days/weeks do people seems to be getting the Plusgrade Offers, as I don't always seem to receive them.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Yachtman
How many days/weeks do people seems to be getting the Plusgrade Offers, as I don't always seem to receive them.
IME, 15 days before the flight.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver
Just had the e-mail for a flight on 8 December - slider starts at GBP 440 for AUH-LHR. Is it worth it?
Old Nov 23, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by alpha5eight
Just had the e-mail for a flight on 8 December - slider starts at GBP 440 for AUH-LHR. Is it worth it?
Y-J or J-F?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:58 am

Programs: EY GE
Is it worth it?, I don't think so. Upgrading with miles (if you have them) is a much cheaper option IMO. I've flown 30 segments in the past 14 months and got my first OP UP on AUH-BKK last week. Nicer than Y for sure but would I pay an extra €1000 for the pleasure of J on the whole trip, no!.
I'd rather have the cash to fly as frequently as I do.

That being said, I'm starting to use my miles to upgrade the final leg of my journey home AUH-DUB as J gives me the chance to get some decent sleep before work that morning. Still, I wouldn't be dropping £440 for it when I can get it for 28k miles (about £160)
Old Nov 25, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Y-J or J-F?
J-F. And don't worry, Mrs Alpha has already told me that it's not worth it as she has other plans for the cash
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:32 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by alpha5eight
J-F. And don't worry, Mrs Alpha has already told me that it's not worth it as she has other plans for the cash
I don't find EY's F cabin particularly great. Certainly not worth paying to upgrade to. Y-J I can understand, as Y can be a zoo on EY, but I don't pay for H-F anymore.

IMHO, obviously.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:52 am

Programs: EY Platinum/M&M Gold
So Say if you are flying Dublin to Sydney EY could potentially send you an email for both legs if you are booked in Y and the second leg if booked in C? If you book via a TA how do they contact you? Via FF details?

There isn't a F class ex Dublin but it might be nice to try it on the AUH to SYD leg.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by irish mark
So Say if you are flying Dublin to Sydney EY could potentially send you an email for both legs if you are booked in Y and the second leg if booked in C? If you book via a TA how do they contact you? Via FF details?

There isn't a F class ex Dublin but it might be nice to try it on the AUH to SYD leg.
For multiple legs, you'll bid for both legs separately (if you're offered both legs).

So if you're flying DUB-AUH in J, and AUH-KUL, for example, you wouldn't get an offer for the first leg as there's no F. If you were flying the same route from LHR, however, you could be offered the chance to bid for LHR-AUH and/or AUH-KUL.

Bidding minimums will be similar, but you can be accepted for one upgrade and denied the other. It's perfectly possible to bid the maximum for the LHR-AUH leg and the minimum for the AUH-KUL leg and only be upgraded on the KUL sector. It all comes down to loads and what other people are bidding.

As for TA bookings, the T&Cs state that you have to book with EY directly to receive a Plusgrade offer; but people have reported receiving them on TA bookings in the past.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: EY Platinum/M&M Gold
thanks... kinda what i suspected so booked via website if possible. Assume and its probably staring me in the face here but if i get my first leg in F i can use the F lounge in AUH when im waiting my second leg?

flying to the far east BKK and SIN have F cabins but KUL doesn't? so if im flying to LGK it would make sense to go via SIN (if fares etc were the same?)
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:17 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by irish mark
thanks... kinda what i suspected so booked via website if possible. Assume and its probably staring me in the face here but if i get my first leg in F i can use the F lounge in AUH when im waiting my second leg?

flying to the far east BKK and SIN have F cabins but KUL doesn't? so if im flying to LGK it would make sense to go via SIN (if fares etc were the same?)
You will only be able to use the F lounge in AUH if you are in F on your departing flight or if you are Gold Elite in which case it does not matter which class you are in. It matters not what class you arrived in.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 7:44 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by MAZ199
IME, 15 days before the flight.
Agreed to this - and its's regardless of when your return seems to be.

You make the offer all at once (at the same time) for the departing and the return, despite being able to bid separate amounts for each segment.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Agreed to this - and its's regardless of when your return seems to be.

You make the offer all at once (at the same time) for the departing and the return, despite being able to bid separate amounts for each segment.
I've never been able to bid for the return flights at the same time as the outbound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.