FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Offered a paid upgrade
View Single Post
Old Jul 25, 2013, 5:55 pm
tartempion

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Dear Wozza, not really a smart remark

I tried to book a biz class ticket BKK-AUH-BRU and no seats available on the dates I need to travel.
Thus I booked Y and within minutes booked an upgrade with miles for the first segment.
Being short of 3k miles for a second upgrade I did perform a try-out anyway.
Only on the last leg did I get an offer for an upgrade costing 8350THB (around 210 euro) and my remaining 26k miles I guess. I had nothing to pay for the first segment upgrade, thus I wonder what the 210 euros represent, especially since quotes here for a Plusgrade AUH-europe/Asia begin around 300 euro.

Checking expertflyer I see all 4 segments have plenty of seats available, but only the 4th segment has all booking classes open and that's 7 weeks away.

Thus I find it reasonable to wait EY to release seats one week before op day to see if I can bid for the second leg, I will then have enough miles to upgrade segment 4 with miles and hope to bid again for segment 3 in the week before I fly the return.

Last option is to pay for upgrade at airport if any seats left before departure (if bidding is no longer offered).

Anyway, I find EY to be too expensive lately and will consider switching to QR (after they opened new Doha airport) or try EVA to AMS (2k euro) or WY (Oman) to FRA and travel lightly packed (1 bag iso my usual 50kgs...)

Last edited by tartempion; Jul 25, 2013 at 6:02 pm