The EK Wine Thread

Old Jul 18, 21, 3:43 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), EK Platinum
I’ve seen the wine selection changing up to 1 week prior to departure. At that point it’s safe to assume it’s firm.
Old Jul 18, 21, 11:39 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Does anyone know who makes EK wine glasses? The F Champagne glasses resemble Riedel Vinum Champagne glasses but the stem attachment is wrong. They are no doubt customised as they have EK branding and a little measurement dot etched on the side but I'm curious.

This is the closest I've found: https://www.myer.com.au/p/plumm-ever...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old Jul 21, 21, 11:43 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire Elite
Holy moly...2001 Château Mouton Rothschild this evening

Moflav, UAuhoh, ps9a and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 23, 21, 9:30 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
WOW. Was this at the lounge in DXB?

I assume the answer is no, but does EK have any special wines for F passengers at the MXP lounge? I'll be flying MXP-JFK.
Old Jul 25, 21, 11:24 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict View Post

I assume the answer is no, but does EK have any special wines for F passengers at the MXP lounge? I'll be flying MXP-JFK.
Yeah, at FCL B. It was gone just a short time later
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Jul 26, 21, 4:38 pm

The 2001 Mouton Rothschild was on the wine list back in mid 2018, as part of the “vintage collection” program (same time when they were serving the Dom P2, 1998 Margaux and a phenomenal 2005 Forts De Latour). At the time it was a rather regular feature in the F lounges (mostly leftovers from onboard service). I imagine EK might have a bit of stock left.

No “special” wines for F in MXP (there is no separate lounge area for F). I haven’t travelled from there in a couple of years, but I recall the wine selection to be perfectly decent. Mostly Italian except the French bubbles (although they also always had Ca Del Bosco, a very solid Franciacorta which I prefer to many champagne).
Old Jul 27, 21, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by flying_pig View Post
The 2001 Mouton Rothschild was on the wine list back in mid 2018, as part of the “vintage collection” program (same time when they were serving the Dom P2, 1998 Margaux and a phenomenal 2005 Forts De Latour). At the time it was a rather regular feature in the F lounges (mostly leftovers from onboard service). I imagine EK might have a bit of stock left.

No “special” wines for F in MXP (there is no separate lounge area for F). I haven’t travelled from there in a couple of years, but I recall the wine selection to be perfectly decent. Mostly Italian except the French bubbles (although they also always had Ca Del Bosco, a very solid Franciacorta which I prefer to many champagne).
Thanks for this! It's a shame I'm not originating in DXB. That's good to know, I enjoy Ca Del Bosco so would be pleased to have that at the lounge.

Also, do you know if EK serves Dom on the ground at MXP? Apparently they do out of ATH (based on One Mile At a Time's recent trip report), but my understanding is that's an anomaly and it's usually Veuve on the ground for pre-departure drinks on board, and then Dom in the air?
Old Jul 27, 21, 9:47 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK

At times, F in-flight 'leftovers' are available in outstation lounges so therefore available for J passengers. I recall a very nice Chateau Margaux in the CPT lounge a few years ago.
flying_pig likes this.
Old Jul 27, 21, 9:51 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Thanks for this! It's a shame I'm not originating in DXB. That's good to know, I enjoy Ca Del Bosco so would be pleased to have that at the lounge.

Also, do you know if EK serves Dom on the ground at MXP? Apparently they do out of ATH (based on One Mile At a Time's recent trip report), but my understanding is that's an anomaly and it's usually Veuve on the ground for pre-departure drinks on board, and then Dom in the air?
I understand that the champagne served on the ground depends on the way the local tax on alcohol is calculated. Mostly it is J champagne outside DXB. I have had one experience where flying F out of CPT there was a massive apology that they could only serve the J champagne on the ground. "But as soon as the wheels are off the ground, I will bring you Dom mr thijsseh". Which indeed happened!
WLG Base and CappuccinoAddict like this.
Old Jul 27, 21, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh View Post
At times, F in-flight 'leftovers' are available in outstation lounges so therefore available for J passengers. I recall a very nice Chateau Margaux in the CPT lounge a few years ago.
Good to know! I'll be on the lookout in that case.
Old Jul 27, 21, 5:22 pm

Definitely an anomaly to get Dom on the ground at outstations (whereas it remains the norm in DXB). I'd guess it might have happened to me on 5 sectors out of - say - 100. In those rare instances I never quite figured out if it was different policy for a particular outstation or a genuine mistake by the crew. Such policy doesn't seem to have changed; at LHR I consistently got J-class champagne on the ground over the last 3 flights since March.

I'd recommend skipping the Veuve and waiting an extra 30 minutes for the good stuff
Old Jul 28, 21, 6:37 am

Definitely an anomaly to get Dom on the ground at outstations (whereas it remains the norm in DXB). I'd guess it might have happened to me on 5 sectors out of - say - 100. In those rare instances I never quite figured out if it was different policy for a particular outstation or a genuine mistake by the crew. Such policy doesn't seem to have changed; at LHR I consistently got J-class champagne on the ground over the last 3 flights since March.

I'd recommend skipping the Veuve and waiting an extra 30 minutes for the good stuff
That makes sense, I'll expect the offer to be Veuve but would be happy to be pleasantly surprised!
Old Jul 28, 21, 9:19 am
Ambassador, Emirates

That makes sense, I'll expect the offer to be Veuve but would be happy to be pleasantly surprised!
That would certainly be the best way to approach this
Old Aug 15, 21, 8:36 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Just browsing Le Clos and see that there are some surprises in the 'on board' section. Grand Siecle and the Les Forts de Latour.

https://www.leclos.net/shop/product-...ines-emirates/
Old Aug 17, 21, 12:16 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by sydtogla View Post
Just browsing Le Clos and see that there are some surprises in the 'on board' section. Grand Siecle and the Les Forts de Latour.

https://www.leclos.net/shop/product-...ines-emirates/
Les Fortes I’ve had on board, LPGS i have never seen.

The wine list to Manchester was shockingly bad, still the Beringer which was the same as my last flight there in September.

Search this Thread