The EK Wine Thread

Old Feb 8, 22, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Yeah, the last thing you want is a hangover during the flight. Keep drinking is my motto
I don't get hangover from wine. My face don't even turn red after 3 bottle.
Old Feb 8, 22, 10:33 pm

Programs: AS Nothing, DL Silver, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat (still, amazingly)
Originally Posted by YClass View Post
Seeing Yquem make its appearance in F which is nice... and a new red I've never tried - Torbreck RunRig from Australia....
I was so busy with the 2008 Opus One and the Dom that I forgot about Yquem... *sigh*
Old Feb 9, 22, 1:52 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer View Post
Normally I can do 3 bottles on a 15 hour flight to HKG. I will try for 4 bottles when I fly EK.
Yes, I am a fish.
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Yeah, the last thing you want is a hangover during the flight. Keep drinking is my motto
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer View Post
I don't get hangover from wine. My face don't even turn red after 3 bottle.
Originally Posted by Metanoia View Post
I was so busy with the 2008 Opus One and the Dom that I forgot about Yquem... *sigh*

Sounds like we are getting into a "mine (bottle of course!) is bigger than yours" contest here.....
Metanoia, larzy1977 and BadoRas like this.
Old Feb 9, 22, 4:10 am

We all know who has the biggest...cellar.

It's EK.
thijsseh and Metanoia like this.
Old Feb 9, 22, 1:45 pm

Programs: AS Nothing, DL Silver, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat (still, amazingly)
Originally Posted by thijsseh View Post
Sounds like we are getting into a "mine (bottle of course!) is bigger than yours" contest here.....
The wine thread has always leaned towards friendly one-upmanship on what we've been able to scrounge up onboard or in the lounge and how many bottles we were able to consume
Old Feb 9, 22, 3:13 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Metanoia View Post
The wine thread has always leaned towards friendly one-upmanship on what we've been able to scrounge up onboard or in the lounge and how many bottles we were able to consume
I'm currently drinking some £10 Spanish red listening to the Beach Boys (Pet Sounds). Nothing could be better
Old Feb 24, 22, 10:13 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL (Gallium Guest List), QRPC Molybdenum, Skywards Zirconium
I am feeling slightly worse than I expected this morning after a 2012 Torbreck RunRig appeared on the menu for my flight from London night. Really exceptionally good if you have it - https://www.harveynichols.com/int/br...2012/p3957224/ / https://www.vivino.com/US/en/torbrec...1830?year=2012
Old Feb 25, 22, 1:33 am
Ambassador: Emirates
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Plat, QF WP, HH Gold, KLM FB
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation View Post
I am feeling slightly worse than I expected this morning after a 2012 Torbreck RunRig appeared on the menu for my flight from London night. Really exceptionally good if you have it - https://www.harveynichols.com/int/br...2012/p3957224/ / https://www.vivino.com/US/en/torbrec...1830?year=2012
The RunRig is a fantastic wine - and 2012 a fantastic year. But it piles it on at 15.5% ABV (going north into port territory! ) - Makes for a sore head.
Old Feb 25, 22, 2:06 am

Programs: BA/EK/VS Gold, LH Sen, ITA Exec, Coutts Silk, Centurion
Originally Posted by sydtogla View Post
The RunRig is a fantastic wine - and 2012 a fantastic year. But it piles it on at 15.5% ABV (going north into port territory! ) - Makes for a sore head.
It was interesting, but not to my taste. I wasn't sure what to expect tbh. But Dom, Yquem and the Tesseron 29 Exception (much better than Paradis IMO) goes down well!
Old Feb 25, 22, 2:27 am

Does the Dubai F lounge serve the premium wine shown in this thread 24 hours? We have a four hour stopover between 6am-10am and want to maximise our F class experience.
Old Feb 25, 22, 2:37 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by nickiboy View Post
Does the Dubai F lounge serve the premium wine shown in this thread 24 hours? We have a four hour stopover between 6am-10am and want to maximise our F class experience.
No - this thread generally details what's served on board. However, the F & J lounges sometimes have some of the "premium" wines available off menu. Just ask when you get there.

Oh, and as per below, the lounges are open 24 hours for food & wine. The menu service is halted for an hour at 11am when it switches from breakfast to lunch, but the buffet is still available.

Last edited by DYKWIA; Feb 25, 22 at 2:48 am
Old Feb 25, 22, 2:39 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by nickiboy View Post
Yes all drinks available 24 hours. They have an A La Carte breakfast menu for food during that time, but it also has an all day menu section which has burgers and steaks etc.
Old Feb 25, 22, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by sydtogla View Post
it piles it on at 15.5% ABV (going north into port territory! ) - Makes for a sore head.
I totally missed that, which explains both the typos in my post and my head this morning
sydtogla likes this.
Old Feb 25, 22, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by modularmayhem View Post
Yes all drinks available 24 hours. They have an A La Carte breakfast menu for food during that time, but it also has an all day menu section which has burgers and steaks etc.
Too bad EK won't let me spend a week in the F lounge even if I buy a full fare long haul F ticket.
Old Feb 28, 22, 2:44 am

I decided I should change my BA flight from DXB tomorrow to EK so fully intend to take another shot at the RunRig! It’s an afternoon flight too so no need to worry about the morning hangover this time

Search this Thread