The EK Wine Thread

Old Sep 17, 2019, 11:03 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Just looking at the wine list for my flight home at the weekend.

No more DP Rose 2006.

Only DP 2008.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by pomkiwi
I would also comment that often the selection of the 'lesser' wines is excellent and they often perform very well in the air. I have had some excellent wines from small producers that are new to me (EK may sometimes buy up the whole production for a vintage).
EK is great for finding unknown producers in your own backyard. Kapcsandy Estate in Napa comes to mind as stunning producer that I'd probably driven past a hundred times. Unfortunately, as you point out, they might buy out the whole vintage...
Old Sep 21, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
@a2663171, I have only flown EK on 2 US sectors before. All the rest of my EK flights are to/from DXB and Asia, Europe and Africa. Fortunately all in F. It's true IIRC neither of my US sectors (JFK and IAH) had super "bling" wines.

The most bling wines, some which I posted a few pages above were on Europe or HKG/SIN sectors. (Mouton, Las Cases, Cheval Blanc, etc.) Since I started flying EK a lot, I have really had some bling-name wines.

However, to you or anyone else worried about a "poor" wine list on their EK flight, "poor" wine list is an oxymoron on an EK flight. I have never had a bad wine list on EK even on my two USA flights. They always seem "curated" and someone theres at EK clearly not only has a budget but knows what the heck they are doing. A great list doesn't mean you just go buy the most expensive white or red or even bubbly, and a cheaper price is a downgrade, although there is often some correlation.

I am not professing to be an expert, but I have been a dear friend to my liver for decades now with my wine drinking, and the number of bottles I own isn't quite yet at 5 digits in length, but it surpassed 4 a long time ago. I have a real blast flying EK F since I started aggressively moving some of my spend from Cathay a few years ago. Even when served "off" vintages, which is often the case for the bling wines. The most pleasant times are seeing as I said above, a white CDP, a lovely Condrieu like the poster above took a pic of, you just don't get this type of crazy thought on the other airlines I fly a lot (mostly SQ and CX at this point). I am confident even if you're not on one of the EK "bling" wine routes, you can rest assured the curation, the care is all there, all of it is solid and the wines are of a very nice quality. Especially with food. Be prepared to enjoy it. There is some fun going to a wine dinner not knowing what your friends are bringing. This is my feeling getting on EK planes. It's surprising, it's fun, knowing the person who made the list knows their stuff and cares.

Oh, and they have the carafes. Use them to let a bigger wine aerate! I often request my red in a carafe an hour or more before I plan to drink it with my food. Little details like this are very nice.

With WiFi on board, I recommend you download or read Cellar Tracker (www.cellartracker.com) if you would like some community thoughts. Much better than a lot of other resources. Whatever you do don't read the blogs for your wine advice, unless you want to become dumber about wine.
sydtogla and stephaniesdaddy like this.

Last edited by QRC3288; Sep 21, 2019 at 12:17 am
Old Sep 22, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Oh, and they have the carafes. Use them to let a bigger wine aerate! I often request my red in a carafe an hour or more before I plan to drink it with my food. Little details like this are very nice
A few of us here ask for carafes to be filled on boarding. If ex-DXB they can break the bonded cart seal and pour it right away. Elsewhere, its done just after takeoff. I had them do that with Opus One 2007, had it about 3 hours in. Killed the whole bottle. At the J bar no less... (in a J glass, mind you)

Sadly, my cellartracker shows I have only 53 bottles. Best thing I have in there is 2 bottles of Dunn Howell Mountain 2004 and a bottle of 1998 Dom P2 in offsite cold storage, alog with a bunch of stuff I probably should have drank a few years back but forgot about. How do you manage 10k+ bottles?!

Last edited by Metanoia; Sep 22, 2019 at 2:23 am
Old Sep 22, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by Metanoia
A few of us here ask for carafes to be filled on boarding.
My profile states this 😀 Cabin crew usually quickly check which of the reds I want and then get on with it.
Metanoia likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
[...] alog with a bunch of stuff I probably should have drank a few years back but forgot about. How do you manage 10k+ bottles?!
Happy to help 😝
Metanoia likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: EK Plat
Has anyone noticed a weird quirk where if you are on the Emirates UAE website, you cannot access the wine list, however, it works from other countries.

E.g.

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/......=firstclass

vs

https://www.emirates.com/ae/english/......=firstclass
Old Sep 22, 2019, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Lkaroo
Has anyone noticed a weird quirk where if you are on the Emirates UAE website, you cannot access the wine list, however, it works from other countries.

E.g.

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/......=firstclass

vs

https://www.emirates.com/ae/english/......=firstclass
Do the onboard wifi filters still block any wine merchant website as well?

If so, the reason is probably there
Old Sep 22, 2019, 6:10 pm

A few of us here ask for carafes to be filled on boarding. If ex-DXB they can break the bonded cart seal and pour it right away. Elsewhere, its done just after takeoff. I had them do that with Opus One 2007, had it about 3 hours in. Killed the whole bottle. At the J bar no less... (in a J glass, mind you)

Sadly, my cellartracker shows I have only 53 bottles. Best thing I have in there is 2 bottles of Dunn Howell Mountain 2004 and a bottle of 1998 Dom P2 in offsite cold storage, alog with a bunch of stuff I probably should have drank a few years back but forgot about. How do you manage 10k+ bottles?!
Originally Posted by XXTSGR
My profile states this 😀 Cabin crew usually quickly check which of the reds I want and then get on with it.
it's a great idea to get the carafes going earlier. thanks for the suggestion.

There are some excellent storage options here in Hong Kong, and I have some help to keep things organized. Not quite at 10k though.
Metanoia likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:16 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Do the onboard wifi filters still block any wine merchant website as well?

If so, the reason is probably there
a bit silly since the cocktails and spirits are listed on the dining menu...
Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by extramileage
a bit silly since the cocktails and spirits are listed on the dining menu...
I think we all know that is not usually a bar to policy
Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:18 am

Looks like Dom P2 2002 is making a re-appearance on select routes. It is showing up online on the wine list for my LHR-DXB flight next week.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by flying_pig
Looks like Dom P2 2002 is making a re-appearance on select routes. It is showing up online on the wine list for my LHR-DXB flight next week.
Are you sure this isn't its first appearance? P2 2002 was just released a few months ago!

The last time I saw P2 on Emirates was last year. But they were serving P2 2000, not 2002. I don't think I've had the 2002 version yet on EK.

Anyway if EK already served the 2002 version then missed it. I will say, they were super fast if so, it has only been available briefly. Either way, great! EK wine is superb.
flying_pig likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold
It’s also showing on my STN-DXB flight
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Are you sure this isn't its first appearance? P2 2002 was just released a few months ago!
Nope, you are right and good catch QRC3288, definitely the first appearance for 2002 on EK and the previous one was 2000.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.