Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Paid access to Emirates Lounges in Dubai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid access to Emirates Lounges in Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by avcritic
First unbundle ground experience(lounge,chauffeur drive,priority boarding, priority baggage...) if that doesn't generate enough revenue start unbundling in-flight experience. J gets just flat bed, for everything else keep the card handy.
The bar can get enhanced - your Skywards card allows you to start a tab
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
And F pax might have to pay to use the shower.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 2:47 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Bring back the concourse A quiet zone...and make it a non-paid privilege...and serve wine in it.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Paying more for the car service is guaranteed to happen.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:05 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
When I see the breakdown of my EK Y ticket, the majority of the cost is taxes. The actual flight cost is miniscule. I cannot see how Emirates can make any money from it! Hence, I suppose they have to find ways to get more revenue and profit from passengers.

I imagine that the bulk of the money is made from Business and First Class travellers. I can see why those passengers might be upset at Y passengers entering the lounges on a paid basis.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by rumbataz
When I see the breakdown of my EK Y ticket, the majority of the cost is taxes. The actual flight cost is miniscule. I cannot see how Emirates can make any money from it! Hence, I suppose they have to find ways to get more revenue and profit from passengers.

I imagine that the bulk of the money is made from Business and First Class travellers. I can see why those passengers might be upset at Y passengers entering the lounges on a paid basis.
part of those "taxes" are the carrier-imposed surcharge or YQ or fuel surcharge which is not a tax but a random amount decided by the airline. That's not tax. The base fare can often be incredibly low. The YQ is also useful to airlines for dynamic pricing since changing the base fare isn't as simple as it's published in advance with certain fare rules etc.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Or it can double as prepaid visa/master just to make sure there are enough funds.

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
And F pax might have to pay to use the shower.
Make it pre-order only so water weight can be saved.

Originally Posted by rumbataz
If all 14F and 70+J paid for their tickets, EK wouldn't mind giving away Y tickets. Internal data may prove F/J pax shouldn't have any hard feelings with additional revenue from Y.

One more enhancement idea
Introduce dine-on-demand, you can demand anytime by swiping your card.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: WoH Globalist
One more enhancement idea
Introduce dine-on-demand, you can demand anytime by swiping your card.
I'd rather have them serve special meals (fast-food, casual-dining restaurant, Arabic food such as "Fatayer (pie)/Shawarma", Pizza, etc.) than regular airline food, as food in F class is mediocre and J class is horrible (before I get a long response regarding this comment, may I remind you that I'm not the only one who thinks that EK has lowered its standards regarding food quality .)

I would not mind (reasonably) paying for a delicious meal in Y class. I liked the menu offered on FlyDubai flights

Last edited by aceboy44; Jan 15, 2017 at 12:35 pm
Old Jan 15, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by aceboy44
I'd rather have them serve special meals (fast-food, casual-dining restaurant, Arabic food such as "Fatayer (pie)/Shawarma", Pizza, etc.) than regular airline food, as food in F class is mediocre and J class is horrible (before I get a long response regarding this comment, may I remind you that I'm not the only one who thinks that EK has lowered its standards regarding food quality .)

I would not mind (reasonably) paying for a delicious meal in Y class. I liked the menu offered on FlyDubai flights
EK food may not be as good as some Asian carriers. Nevertheless, there is a lot to go (down) before it becomes "mediocre" or "horrible".

"Menu a la carte" is already proposed by AF Y/Y+, on reservation basis, at a cost of 12EUR to 28 EUR. From what sir Tim had said recently, it wouldn't be a great surprise if such paid option was offered in EK soon.
For the record, the "Menu a la carte" in AF F/J is not a special menu (contrary to Y/Y+), it's just a guarantee to get your preferred selection.

Can't tell about FZ. I'll fly FZ for the first time end of this week (don't ask ), but it's such a short flight, I don't think I'll get any food. Furthermore, I'm just surprised you flew on FZ.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aceboy44

Just buy a burger at the airport and bring it on board.

That's my Y eating strategy anyway. No idea why anyone would want to do it in J/F.

Speaking of..

Forget about unlimited Moet and food for $100, I think the biggest perk with this will be the unlimited hand lotion.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by mpkz
Just buy a burger at the airport and bring it on board.

That's my Y eating strategy anyway. No idea why anyone would want to do it in J/F.
Good luck surviving a long-haul flight (DXB - LAX, JFK, AKL, etc.) with only a burger at the airport
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:08 pm

Given the bile-like consistency of the scrambled egg in the B cafeteria.. er..Lounge.. this morning $100 is a tough sell
​​​​​​
That being said the pepper relish sandwich is quite nice.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: EK Gold
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Given the bile-like consistency of the scrambled egg in the B cafeteria.. er..Lounge.. this morning $100 is a tough sell
​​​​​​
One swallow doesn't make a summer.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:42 am

If one does the math, Marhaba lounge for $40 and inflight 250Ml Moet for $25 is the most cost effective way to get wasted in Y.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:59 am

If one does the math, Marhaba lounge for $40 and inflight 250Ml Moet for $25 is the most cost effective way to get wasted in Y.
It's 200ml and hardly enough to get wasted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.