Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Paid access to Emirates Lounges in Dubai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid access to Emirates Lounges in Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
They are getting a lot of heat on their Social media handles about the changes to Lounge access !
Old Feb 3, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Interesting ..... wasn't aware. I'm presuming all rather negative ....?

I still believe it was a strange, misguided decision. They were about the last carrier I would expect to do it.

And I am convinced that - quite apart from any 'issues' at DXB itself - there will be a number of requests at outstation lounges, taking up time at the desk whilst the receptionist has to explain "No, it's not possible here, only in Dubai ....."
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
Interesting ..... wasn't aware. I'm presuming all rather negative ....?

I still believe it was a strange, misguided decision. They were about the last carrier I would expect to do it.

And I am convinced that - quite apart from any 'issues' at DXB itself - there will be a number of requests at outstation lounges, taking up time at the desk whilst the receptionist has to explain "No, it's not possible here, only in Dubai ....."
Heat is always negative
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by subject2load
Time will tell, but am inclined to agree.

I think many folk will cave in to the temptation to "treat ourselves .... we're on holiday after all ...."

It fits with the image of Dubai as a 'luxury' leisure destination - and something to tell friends about when back home (you won't believe how big the lounge was ..... and so much 'free' food & drink ..... could have stayed there for a week .....)

People might not do it regularly - but it only needs a certain number of different people to do it every day .... and things could soon get a tad busy.......
I agree that people will do it as a "we're on holiday" thing but probably just once or twice. I think most people will figure it's not really worth $100 extra per person per 4 hour visit and we won't see a lot of repeat customers. So I see perhaps an initial increase in lounge visitors but I sincerely doubt it will last very long IMHO
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Heat is always negative

Not when I'm sitting on a sun-blessed beach in the Maldives.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
To clarify on my post , it is negative. I think even my grandma bashed them and she the type of lady that gives hard boiled sweets to any child she meets and not the one to post hate filled posts on Emirates face book page !
Old Feb 3, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
So QR has their two lounges at DOH doesn't even allow their own elite pax in, and EK has opened their F & J lounges not only to elite pax, but any one happy to join skyaward and pay $100 / $200?

I personally see it good value for pax with long layovers, even if 4 hour usage is enforced. You could get two meals, one good shower and several drinks out of it. Not to mention even better value for traveling with ppl already has access, so one ppl doesn't has to be left out.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Sorry if this was said before, but, I understood that EK wants to extend this policy at outstations.

At some outstations, there is only one lounge shared by J and F. Now, we will have to share with (paid) Y ?!?
Yerk !
Get my hand lotion right now ! Faster !
Old Feb 4, 2017, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by ioto1902
Sorry if this was said before, but, I understood that EK wants to extend this policy at outstations.

At some outstations, there is only one lounge shared by J and F. Now, we will have to share with (paid) Y ?!?
Yerk !
Get my hand lotion right now ! Faster !
I hear that the outstation policy will be less generous than DXB though - you will need to already have entitlement via status or ticket type to take advantage of the "extra guest" policy.

So, a blue in Y can't just turn up to the lounge to buy in, like they can at DXB - but people in J,F or Gold/Plat can bring in a Y guest for $$$
Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:25 am

Programs: EK Gold
Anyone 'on the ground' at DXB the past couple of weeks either J or F lounge noticed any difference population in the lounges?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by RichL
Anyone 'on the ground' at DXB the past couple of weeks either J or F lounge noticed any difference population in the lounges?
Concourse A J lounge as usual when I was there a week ago. Deserted 5pm-midnight and moderately full after that
Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:29 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by RichL
Concourse B J lounge seemed fairly normal this morning (0700-0800), but then again I like to sit back by the champagne bar and there are never more than a few people in that section. Costa Coffee line was short if that counts for anything.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:41 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Wow, does this mean that people are not prepared to splash out $100/$200 of their hand earned to visit the EK lounges?

Who'd have thunk it?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Wow, does this mean that people are not prepared to splash out $100/$200 of their hand earned to visit the EK lounges?

Who'd have thunk it?
I don't imagine EK not performing a marketing survey before taking such decision.
EK wouldn't do it unless it brings a sensible amount of cash. Would they ?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by ioto1902
I don't imagine EK not performing a marketing survey before taking such decision.
EK wouldn't do it unless it brings a sensible amount of cash. Would they ?
a sensible amount of cash might be 10k/USD a day which is 100 people which would do little in terms of overall congestion but be easily achieved. 300k a month revenue for something that costs virtually nothing is a good return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.