Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Please post your Operational Upgrade experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Operational Upgrade experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2014, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by jackiedada
Good to see you flying 1 stop EK MAA-LHR rather than non-stop BA...
So many reasons -

1. BA's flight is at 4am
2. Its not a daily flight
3. Its BA

But I need to shut up given that I am moving to London next month and will probably not even make it to EK Silver after my Plat status ends in Mar / May 2015.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA/Plat, AS MPV
Upgrade given: Y - J

Upgrade location: Gate, although I had enquired politely at EK Lounge for a blocking out of adjacent Y seat and was informed flight was full.

Route: SIN-MEL

Flight number: EK 404 booked as QF 8404

Type of ticket: Saver (Discount Economy)

Date of travel: 11th Feb, 2014

Tier status: Qantas Gold. (am Skywards Blue also)

Tier miles to date: N/A

Skywards miles balance: 700 miles (EK flights now credit to QF)

Number of pax on the same PNR: Single

Skywards DOJ (approx): Skywards 2003; QFF 1998

Last Name begins with: M

Last edited by gabes80; Feb 16, 2014 at 4:25 pm Reason: Additional Info
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: EK Skywards, JL Mileage Bank
Is asking for adjacent seat to be blocked a way to be opupped?

Originally Posted by gabes80
Upgrade location: Gate, although I had enquired politely at EK Lounge for a blocking out of adjacent Y seat and was informed flight was full.
About a year ago also had Y to J op-up DXB-MAN (onward flight) after asking nicely at lounge reception for the adjacent seat to be blocked on a full flight.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: EK Gold, QF

Upgrade location: Gate - but could have been called at Lounge - full lounge so WIFI sucked, so listened to my Ipod and went to gate a lot sooner than normal, to be one of the first to board.

Route: AKL-BNE

Flight number: EK435 (A380)

Type of ticket: Flex (AKL-SIN, via BNE return with stop over in BNE for a couple of weeks in both directions = 26,000 tier miles)

Date of travel: 16/02/14

Tier status: Gold (Joined Gold October 2013)

Tier miles to date: 74,224 - 37,875 since NOV to renew Gold in OCT

Skywards miles balance: 72,919

Number of pax on the same PNR: Single - just me, myself, & I

Skywards DOJ (approx): May 2010

The first letter of your surname: R

This was my first upgrade ever, was kinda of expecting it, logging into Expert Flyer 3 days out to see 0-Y, 12-J, & 6-F left available - and was thinking well there is a chance, but only if they are oversold and my name came up - but odds should be good being flexi ticket and Gold status.

It started to get strange at check in, when it took a lot longer than it should have, and the check in person telling me to use my self printed out boarding pass.

At the lounge, it took ages to check in, with the lounge angel sitting there for a good 5 minutes taping away at the PC. Was asked at the start some strange questions if I was so and so, traveling on my own, etc. But after a while was welcomed into the lounge and no mention of upgrade. Normally 100% of the time in the past, the lounge has always re-printed my boarding pass, but not this time.

At the lounge it was the fullest I have ever seen it in AKL, good thing I wasn't hanging out for it on this occasion. They even put over the P/A a number of times asking people to not put their bags on seats, and be considerate as to allow everyone a place to sit.... I was also surprised how many what seemed to be new fliers on purchased J tickets were present, it kept the lounge angels busy sorting out issues. One couple were very unhappy and very vocal how they booked J tickets on the same PNR, and how that didn't mean that they got to sit together on the flight. Informing angel to remind her they paid $10k plus and didn't get to sit together, and wasn't their job to log in and allocate seats at the time of booking. Angel tried to explain the lay out of A380 that only limited seats sit side by side with direct access to each other.

Got to gate to board, with them doing the first call just as I was 10 meters away from the gate, and walked straight up - scanned my boarding pass and was told to go to the customer service counter to be asked if I was so & so again, and was scratching my head, but when she checked my boarding pass congratulated me, to which my rather plain reply was, "so I have been upgraded" - and she said how did you know. Just a hunch really.

Last edited by mushez; Feb 22, 2014 at 12:43 am
Old Feb 23, 2014, 4:48 pm

Upgrade location: Gate

Route: ADD - DXB

Flight number: EK 724

Type of ticket: Saver

Date of travel: 21/02/2014

Tier status: Silver

Tier miles 40k

Skywards miles balance: 26.5k

First letter of your surname: K

At the gate got a new BP and was congratulated on my upgrade. Its a old 330-200. I was very happy!
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF
Originally Posted by mushez

Upgrade location: Gate - but could have been called at Lounge - full lounge so WIFI sucked, so listened to my Ipod and went to gate a lot sooner than normal, to be one of the first to board.

Route: AKL-BNE

Flight number: EK435 (A380)

Type of ticket: Flex (AKL-SIN, via BNE return with stop over in BNE for a couple of weeks in both directions = 26,000 tier miles)

Date of travel: 16/02/14

Tier status: Gold (Joined Gold October 2013)

Tier miles to date: 74,224 - 37,875 since NOV to renew Gold in OCT

Skywards miles balance: 72,919

Number of pax on the same PNR: Single - just me, myself, & I

Skywards DOJ (approx): May 2010

The first letter of your surname: R

This was my first upgrade ever, was kinda of expecting it, logging into Expert Flyer 3 days out to see 0-Y, 12-J, & 6-F left available - and was thinking well there is a chance, but only if they are oversold and my name came up - but odds should be good being flexi ticket and Gold status.

It started to get strange at check in, when it took a lot longer than it should have, and the check in person telling me to use my self printed out boarding pass.

At the lounge, it took ages to check in, with the lounge angel sitting there for a good 5 minutes taping away at the PC. Was asked at the start some strange questions if I was so and so, traveling on my own, etc. But after a while was welcomed into the lounge and no mention of upgrade. Normally 100% of the time in the past, the lounge has always re-printed my boarding pass, but not this time.

At the lounge it was the fullest I have ever seen it in AKL, good thing I wasn't hanging out for it on this occasion. They even put over the P/A a number of times asking people to not put their bags on seats, and be considerate as to allow everyone a place to sit.... I was also surprised how many what seemed to be new fliers on purchased J tickets were present, it kept the lounge angels busy sorting out issues. One couple were very unhappy and very vocal how they booked J tickets on the same PNR, and how that didn't mean that they got to sit together on the flight. Informing angel to remind her they paid $10k plus and didn't get to sit together, and wasn't their job to log in and allocate seats at the time of booking. Angel tried to explain the lay out of A380 that only limited seats sit side by side with direct access to each other.

Got to gate to board, with them doing the first call just as I was 10 meters away from the gate, and walked straight up - scanned my boarding pass and was told to go to the customer service counter to be asked if I was so & so again, and was scratching my head, but when she checked my boarding pass congratulated me, to which my rather plain reply was, "so I have been upgraded" - and she said how did you know. Just a hunch really.
Good effort! First time I have ever heard of an op-up ex AKL.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 11:12 pm

Upgrade location: Gate

Route: DXB - DEL

Flight number: EK 512

Date of travel: 22/02/2014

Tier status: Blue

Tier miles 22K

Skywards miles balance: 16K

First letter of your surname: K

Flight was oversold in Y so was hopeful but only my 2nd trip on EK

I have generally heard friends traveling from US-India getting upgraded on the DUB-India leg but they are generally silver.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Miles & More, SPG, Marriott

Upgrade location: Check-in

Route: DAC - DXB

Flight number: EK 583

Date of travel: 25/02/2014

Tier status: Gold

Tier miles 74K

Skywards miles balance: 84K

Skywards DOJ: Jul 2010

First letter of your surname: D

Tried to upgrade with miles for weeks, wasn't available (although it doesn't mention the check-in upgrade restriction in the ticket). Got an upgrade offer three days before the flight. 350 USD compares well to the miles cost but not the flight duration and price. I didn't take it and gambled on the OpUp.

Last edited by Turicus; Mar 1, 2014 at 1:14 pm Reason: Added DOJ
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:22 am

Programs: EK, SPF,HH,Marriott,GHA
Upgrade given: J - F x4

Upgrade location: 1)Check-in desk, 2) Lounge, 3) check in desk, 4)Gate

Route: e.g. Man-Dxb-Jed-Dxb-Lhr

Flight number: EK018,EK805,EK804,EK005

Type of ticket: Flex business

Date of travel: 23/02, 26/02, 26/02, 27/02

Tier: Platinum

Tier miles to date: ~75k post platinum in Oct 2013

Skywards miles balance: ~395k

Number of pax on the same PNR: Single

Skywards DOJ (approx): 2010

First letter of your surname: R

4 x connecting flights, Manchester to Dubai with a day and a bit stop, Jeddah day return, Dubai to Heathrow on Thursday.
Fairly usual route (usually LHR outbound but family reasons last Jin change to Man outbound)
No fare conditions.
Man-Dxb full flight so bumped up without request.
Dxb-Jed polite lady saw my thread of flights and said I deserved rewards...( she could see I have another 7 flights after the one she checks me in for).
Jed-Dxb full flight bumped up without request.
Dxb-Lhr put on "upgrade standby" by check in desk as flight was reaching capacity, went on to gate via first class lounge and was bumped up.

On last leg purser came and had usual chat, then later in the bar we caught up again, usual chinwag led her to realise I was a super frequent flyer, she went and got her PDA and was amazed at the number of flights she could see for next week (they can see last 5 and next 5).

Man-Dxb was online check in, Dxb-Jed at the desk, Jed-Dxb-Lhr at the desk in Jed.

For sure was nice to go first all the way, especially as my boss was sat in the back for 3 out of 4 of the legs :-)
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Irehman
For sure was nice to go first all the way, especially as my boss was sat in the back for 3 out of 4 of the legs :-)
Perhaps he is quietly satisfied that he gets to send you to do all this flying so he doesn't have to!
Old Mar 1, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: EK, SPF,HH,Marriott,GHA
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Perhaps he is quietly satisfied that he gets to send you to do all this flying so he doesn't have to!
He hates traveling out of the UK and he would love for me to relocate to it down the cost of flying me around...
Double edged sword cos he either pays me more to move or puts up wht the expense!
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:31 am

Programs: Skywards

Upgrade location: Check-in desk

Route: FCO - DXB

Flight number: EK096

Type of ticket: Economy

Date of travel: 28/2

Tier: Platinum

Tier miles to date: 99,800k

Skywards miles balance: ~200k

Number of pax on the same PNR: Two - me platinum, wife gold.

Skywards DOJ (approx): 2007

First letter of your surname: H
Old Mar 4, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond
Upgrade given: Y - J / Y - J

Upgrade location: Check-in desk / Lounge

Route: JFK - DXB / DXB - ACC

Flight number: EK202 / EK787

Date of travel: 03/02 / 03/04

Tier: Gold

Tier miles to date: ~98K

Skywards miles balance: ~140k

Number of pax on the same PNR: One. Just me

Skywards DOJ (approx): 2005

First letter of your surname: M

Got automatically upgraded at the check-in counter in JFK, and asked for an upgrade at the lounge in DXB. They surprisingly gave it to me despite there being 5 seats free in Y (I asked the purser).
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by EK788
... asked for an upgrade at the lounge in DXB.
Smart move! What did you actually tell them? I don't think they have the authority to process upgrades though and you may already have been upgraded and they just printed out the BP. The 5 seats free in Y could be due to some pax not landing up for their flight.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond
We'll first I asked the lounge dragon if my pre-selected exit row seat was confirmed. After that I asked if it was possible to be complimentary upgraded to J again. She said that the flight wasn't full but that she'd enter a remark saying a 'high value client is requesting an upgrade.' Fast forward 2 hours, I go check at the desk and they print me out a new BP!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.