Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Please post your Operational Upgrade experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Operational Upgrade experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: Skywards Gold Member
Upgrade given: Y-J

Upgrade location: Gate

Route: DXB-MUC

Flight number: EK51

Type of ticket: Saver

Date of travel: 21/03/2014

Tier status: Gold

Tier miles to date: 71000

Skywards miles balance: 68,000

Number of pax on the same PNR: Single

First letter of surname: M

Funny thing was that I asked twice (at two different desks as I got used to never belive what one representative tells you in the lounge of how full the flight is. First response: "There is a light load today". Second response: "Flight is full but not oversold". Fair enough. Needless to say I had to smile once I received my new boarding pass. Reminds me of the old Emirates slogan 'keep discovering'.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: UA GS, EK Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Avis First, Hertz Pres Club
Originally Posted by jackiedada
Mostly true except for BOM, where F still has reasonable demand. I've 0 fare paying pax in F at BLR quite often with the crew running a J service in F with status pax being moved to the F cabin to make way for y-j op-ups.
The A332s that EK flies to BLR don't deserve a paid F fare.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:41 am

Upgrade given: Y - J
Upgrade location: Gate
Route: BLR - DXB
Flight number: EK 567
Date of travel: 28/03/2014
Tier status: Gold
Tier miles: ~55k
Skywards miles balance: ~90k
First letter of your surname: R
Old Apr 5, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by catchgops
The A332s that EK flies to BLR don't deserve a paid F fare.
THough I completely agree with you, but the market situation at BOM especially, seems to be different - there are at least 5 Fare paying pax on EK509 (BOM-DXB) - A332 on today's flight....
Old Apr 6, 2014, 12:11 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards, IHG Rewards Club
Upgrade location: Check-in
Route: DXB - WAW
Flight number: EK 179
Type of ticket: Flex
Date of travel: 05/04/2014
Tier status: Gold + Blue
Tier miles: ~55k
Skywards miles balance: ~40k
Number of pax on the same PNR: 2 (both upgraded)
First letter of your surname: L

It looks like whole second (larger) part of J cabin (A330) was full of op-ups (ca. 75%) as all (as far as I was able to notice) had economy class meal (given in the J manner + Godiva chocolate, so we had both Y and J chocolate.
If someone was with J ticket was then probably moved to the front, also F seats looks like fully occupied. Y cabin was 100%.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:11 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Here's a post I never expected to be able to make! Maybe I have been removed from the Black List ...

Upgrade location: Check-in
Route: DXB - SEZ
Flight number: EK 707
Date of travel: 07/04/2014
Tier status: Two of us were upgraded me as a Plat and wife as a Gold
Tier miles: ~ Me - Zero (reset to zero on 31st March 2014 - had requalified for Plat at that point) Wife - 52,000 approx
Skywards miles balance: ~ me - just under 1.1 million - wife about 92,000
Number of pax on the same PNR: 6 (others were our two kids and our two nannies all of whom are blue)
First letter of your surname: T (wife is B and is first named on the PNR as a result - tier status means nothing on a PNR so I suspect Plats on PNR with non plats will effectively be ranked based on the tier of the one on the PNR with surname that appears highest in alphabet - just my theory!).

On a side note re lounge access - went to Biz lounge with the whole crowd in tow and was told as a Plat I could guest in two people, my wife as gold could guest in one person which left one out in the cold but as the left over person was a three year old child they admitted her. There was some discussion amongst the dragons to make it happen and I did not get involved - I had simply presented and asked politely and listened to what was said.

Last edited by mrtdxb; Apr 9, 2014 at 7:15 am Reason: clarified who was op upped ...
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by mrtdxb
...Maybe I have been removed from the Black List ...
Awesome!^ btw, did they upgrade all 6 of you to J? I mean typically, they don't op up pax with kids...
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
Awesome!^ btw, did they upgrade all 6 of you to J? I mean typically, they don't op up pax with kids...
Do you mean they don't typically op-up non-status kids or any kids? I have never gotten an op-up which could just be my lack of luck or the fact that I travel with my 4 yr old. She's gold though.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Catusa
Do you mean they don't typically op-up non-status kids or any kids? I have never gotten an op-up which could just be my lack of luck or the fact that I travel with my 4 yr old. She's gold though.
They will typically not op-up pax who are traveling with kids, irrespective of their or their kids Skywards status, as per the general consensus here. See post # 15 by eightblack on this thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...ying-kids.html
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Miles & More, SPG, Marriott
Skywards miles balance: ~ just under 1.1 million
Wow... And I'm bothered about not being able to spend my few thousand because there aren't any upgrades available.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Thanks for that. Sorry I was not clear - they only upgraded my wife and I - I will edit the post to make it clear.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Turicus
Wow... And I'm bothered about not being able to spend my few thousand because there aren't any upgrades available.
Although I have been known to moan that it is hard to use miles I have managed to use over 2.6m the last few years...
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:17 pm

Thanks for that. Sorry I was not clear - they only upgraded my wife and I - I will edit the post to make it clear.
OK, just to understand it fully - all of you were on the same PNR but they chose to upgrade only the 2 of you, correct?
Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:13 am

OK, just to understand it fully - all of you were on the same PNR but they chose to upgrade only the 2 of you, correct?
Exactly. FYI the upgrades had already taken place by the time we checked in two hours before the flight was due to depart and we were notified at that point.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:53 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Upgrade given : Y-J
First letter of surname :V
Flight EK 16
Route: LGW-DXB
Date: 10/4/2014
Tier miles : 50 k approx
Skywards miles : again only 50k
First letter of surname : V
Type of ticket: Flex

My first op up from the Uk. I had been trying to upgrade using miles for the last few weeks with no result. Got the free op up and also did not have to pay the APD. Thanks EK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.