Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Please post your Operational Upgrade experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Operational Upgrade experiences

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2013, 4:07 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
[QUOTE=Zol;20080745]As suggested by fellow members, we thought it might be useful to have a thread focusing on OP-UP experiences. Maybe with all this data, we can get to the bottom of this upgrade saga. Therefore, please post your experiences below the in the prescribed format:

Upgrade given: J - F

Upgrade location: Gate

Route: JNB-dXB

Flight number: EK766

Type of ticket: Flex

Date of travel: 120913

Tier status: Plat

[B]Tier miles to date:250k

[B]Skywards miles balance:124k

Number of pax on the same PNR: Single

Skywards DOJ (approx): 2005

And of course the first letter of your surname! R

I fly this route often & have had frequent upgrade on DXB-JNB, particularly since the introduction of Plat status. this is the first time upgraded out of JNB.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: QR Gold; EY Gold; Hilton Gold; IHG Plat Amb; Marriott Gold Elite; Hertz Pres Circ

Route: AMS-DXB

Flight number: EK148

Date of travel: 170913

Tier status: Gold

Tier miles to date:60k

Skywards miles balance:130k

Skywards DOJ (approx): 2012

And of course the first letter of your surname! H

I get op-ups more often than I expect. Don't seem to be getting any closer to Platinum, though.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 8:20 am

Route: CPT-DXB

Flight number: EK771

Date of travel: 21/09/13

Tier miles to date: 39,000 ish

Skywards miles balance: 54,000 ish

And of course the first letter of your surname! A
Old Sep 25, 2013, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Mrs. SFO and I are flying JFK-DXB-JNB next week on an F award (AS). Separate PNRs.
JFK-DXB both in F, DXB-JNB only Mrs. SFO in F, me in J as only one Z seat was available.

EK 765 DXB-JNB, 3 Oct
F2 A2, Business and Economy classes: 0 across the board
Seatmap shows 6/8 unassigned F seats, 6 unassigned J seats and 19 blocked seats.

Assuming no more Z seats are released, what are the odds of and best strategy for a DXB-JNB Op Up?
Gold with 6K tier and 25K miles.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 12:53 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Assuming no more Z seats are released, what are the odds of and best strategy for a DXB-JNB Op Up?
Praying that no Plats in your flight in J
Old Sep 25, 2013, 7:47 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Mrs. SFO and I are flying JFK-DXB-JNB next week on an F award (AS). Separate PNRs.
JFK-DXB both in F, DXB-JNB only Mrs. SFO in F, me in J as only one Z seat was available.

EK 765 DXB-JNB, 3 Oct
F2 A2, Business and Economy classes: 0 across the board
Seatmap shows 6/8 unassigned F seats, 6 unassigned J seats and 19 blocked seats.

Assuming it does not already do so change your surname (and passport) to one that begins with an A then change your Skywards record and change your ticket too - oddly enough the last two may prove more difficult than the first one.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by mrtdxb
Assuming it does not already do so change your surname (and passport) to one that begins with an A then change your Skywards record and change your ticket too - oddly enough the last two may prove more difficult than the first one.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 6:41 am

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
Does anyone else have experience with op-up and children? Travelling with my children (15, 4) SIN-DXB-JFK on the heavy travel days around Christmas, all flts on the 380. We ALL are or will be gold before Christmas including my 4 year old. We are booked in I (discounted business) but I would sure like to experience F. Will they pass right over us? Our last name begins with C. And we all have well over 70K tier miles.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Catusa
Does anyone else have experience with op-up and children? Travelling with my children (15, 4) SIN-DXB-JFK on the heavy travel days around Christmas, all flts on the 380. We ALL are or will be gold before Christmas including my 4 year old. We are booked in I (discounted business) but I would sure like to experience F. Will they pass right over us? Our last name begins with C. And we all have well over 70K tier miles.
Unfortunately I would say the chances of all of you being upgraded to F are very slim. I think the main factor is that you are traveling around Christmas, which is a time when many people actually but F from my experience. Also, I'm not so sure about sin-dxb numbers, but I know that the JFK flights have are usually very elite heavy, with multiple IO's and platinums, so it might be hard to get the op up for a family of 3 golds. And again there is the the factor of F already being full of purchased F seats.
Anyway, best of luck! Hopefully the odds are in your favor and you do get the upgrades!
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Catusa
We completed a vacation BOM-DXB-CDG in May of this year and BOM-DXB-LHR in June last year with our daughter. No op-ups even on sold out flights.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mrtdxb
LOL. Unfortunately, surname is not even close to A.
What's up with RM? Is it normal for inventory to keep going up and down like a yo-yo? This flight keeps bouncing back and forth from F2 J0 Y0
to F4 J6 Y0 to F2 J0 Y0, now F3 J5 Y0... yet till the same 6 unassigned F seats the entire time.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 1:51 am

Upgrade given: Y - J

Upgrade location: Lounge

Route: DXB-BKK

Flight number: EK376

Type of ticket: Saver

Date of travel: 04/10/13

Tier miles to date: 41,000 ish

Skywards miles balance: 70,000 ish

Not upgraded on Lounge entry and not even an exit row available so expecting the worst. However, checked my booking on line a few minutes later and noticed the seat switch. Back to the Lounge entrance and picked up my new boarding card before they had time to change it again.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Upgrade given: Y - J

Upgrade location: Lounge

Route: DXB-BKK

Flight number: EK376

Type of ticket: Saver

Date of travel: 04/10/13

Tier miles to date: 41,000 ish

Skywards miles balance: 70,000 ish

Not upgraded on Lounge entry and not even an exit row available so expecting the worst. However, checked my booking on line a few minutes later and noticed the seat switch. Back to the Lounge entrance and picked up my new boarding card before they had time to change it again.
Fingers crossed for us, we are flying on Thursday evening and have been monitoring expertflyer which has been showing only 2F seats for a couple of weeks now, although the flight seems to have disappeared altogether! Been told BKK is often oversold with few FFers so here's hoping!
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:40 am

I'm expecting a few posts on here this week with the eid holidays...lots of very full flights
Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, BA Executive Club, Jet Privilege
Please post your Operational Upgrade experiences - 2013

I've been incredibly lucky on my recent trips with EK!!!

Upgrade Given: Y-J

Upgrade location: Check-in counter in MAN, lounge in DXB

Route: MAN-DXB and MAN-BOM

Flight number: EK 18 and EK 504

Type of ticket: Flex Y

Date of travel: July

Tier miles to date: 45,000

Skywards miles balance: 63,425

Number of pax on the same PNR: Only me

Skywards DOJ (approx): 2006

Last Name begins with: K

My return was from PVG and was upgraded in the lounge for the PVG-DXB sector.

2 weeks later (August), I flew from MAN-DXB, DXB-KHI, LHE-DXB, DXB-MAN. Was upgraded to J from MAN-DXB, LHE-DXB and DXB-MAN. Had a FLEX Y ticket.

In SEP, I flew from MAN-DXB and got upgraded at check-in. Had a SAVER Y ticket.

Had a good streak of OPUP's recently. Just when I think it's time I changed carrier, EK do something to make me stay put.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.