Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

"American" food from a non-U.S. perspective?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"American" food from a non-U.S. perspective?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2009, 2:22 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
For me an opulent Surf and turf (lobster + steak) screams american food, esp. in a 'traditional' diner.

Or for a different twist head to Manila and see what those american-crazy filipinos are having - besides basketball games on TV. Pizza Hut, TGIs, ... are all present and cheaper than a good local or asian restaurant. Oh, and the Philippines will be the first asian country to have a serious obesity problem.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:46 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Originally Posted by user1
What other nation in its right mind would have come up with things like deep-fried dill pickles or fried coke?
The Scots.

Think who started the "Deep Fried Mars Bar" amongst other things. That's not to say it isn't tasty!
Old Jul 16, 2009, 2:23 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
My Vietnamese brother-in-law considers Cracker Barrel to be the epitome of 'American' food.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Modern American high end food started here.

It is probably fairly described as the modern American cuisine now. Previously I think it was more regional. Those regional versions still exist in better and worse forms but I think what was originally called "California Cuisine" has supplanted them on the national level.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by caspritz78
I also agree on Louisiana. Even if I'm not sure if it is real American food.
NO, we don't think that our food (South Louisiana) is real American food.

Anytime that I leave South Louisiana, I always avoid any restaurant that advertises Cajun, Creole, or New Orleans food.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Lots of interesting viewpoints, though the OP is asking whether other countries recognize a specific "American" cuisine, not what Americans think it is.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by alanw
Lots of interesting viewpoints, though the OP is asking whether other countries recognize a specific "American" cuisine, not what Americans think it is.
I know but I thought I would throw in another view. I was trying to think whether California cuisine is seen outside the US but I pay so little attention to anything American related while traveling that I cant remember. I was hoping that others might comment on whether they see that perspective on American food.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by alanw
Yeah... and most of the responses (not surprisingly) settled on rehashing the stereotypes we all know.

mike
Old Jul 18, 2009, 4:00 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Unfortunately, I would consider going for American food too be, meat meat and more meat...or something heavily processed. That's enough to put me off the idea.
I appreciate that's not how people in the USA eat at home (and USA is fairly diverse), but it is the stereotype that comes to mind when I think of food in an US American eatery and typically what one finds in a US food establishment outside of the USA.
Just my perspective (from the UK).

Last edited by jbfield; Jul 18, 2009 at 5:13 am
Old Jul 18, 2009, 6:33 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by jbfield
Unfortunately, I would consider going for American food too be, meat meat and more meat...or something heavily processed. That's enough to put me off the idea.
I appreciate that's not how people in the USA eat at home (and USA is fairly diverse), but it is the stereotype that comes to mind when I think of food in an US American eatery and typically what one finds in a US food establishment outside of the USA.
Just my perspective (from the UK).
Actually I don't think that is far off from how a large number of Americans eat at home.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 11:04 pm

Programs: QFF WP, VA SG, Hhonors Diamond
When I think american food, I think the stereotypical fried junk (mcdonalds etc). And also clam chowder, caffinated everything, and what's it called? Hash or something? Random minced salty meat?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by k_sheep
Hash or something? Random minced salty meat?
Hash browns, i.e. shredded potatoes grilled in a skillet?

Or if hash refers to some random minced salty meat, I have no idea. Spam?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 8:45 am
iff

Here's hash according to Wikipedia.

I've never eaten it, but then I'm probably not a typical American as I don't like meat in general.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 9:28 am

Programs: nobody
To me Fried Chicken, Mac&Cheese, baked potatos and anything with butter on tops I consider as American food. Don't forget the bacon bits.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by iff
Here's hash according to Wikipedia.

I've never eaten it, but then I'm probably not a typical American as I don't like meat in general.
Yuck. Kinda reminds me of an East Coast friend's description of scrapple.

Please don't think that's normal American food!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.