Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

"American" food from a non-U.S. perspective?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"American" food from a non-U.S. perspective?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2009, 12:57 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by tedward
I think it's terrible that Applebee's and McDonald's are probably the largest ambassadors of American food. Processed foods? American cows being fed corn when they're supposed to be fed grass? High-fructose corn syrup? No thanks.

- An American
but corn fed cows make for better barbecue (brisket)
Old Jul 25, 2009, 8:46 am

hong kong

I've eaten at an "American Steakhouse" in Hong Kong. It was interesting to eat meat that was "certified" and "FDA approved" to come from the US. Personally, I like Japanese beef better.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 9:13 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by deniah
but corn fed cows make for better barbecue (brisket)
That's a claim that to me, after nearly 70 years in immediate proximity to, with great love for brisket, and regular consumption thereof, often from the Holy Temples of Brisketdom in sacred pilgrimage destinations like Llano and Taylor, I find both ridiculous and evidence of only modest familiarity with brisket on your part.

Grass fed brisket from "Corrientes" (free range cattle raised in the Brushado country where there ain't much grass and the critters may have avoided starvation by grazing on mesquite beans or cactus pads with the spines burnt off) is a rare experience and hard to match. The natural "tensile strength" of such briskets prevent "The Crumbles", a defect often apparent in brisket from "Bangtail Heifers" and other barely more than veal calves.

Good brisket? Never pass up a chance to dine on cuts from elderly cows, wore plumb out from milking or calving, other parts of which form key contributors (along with meat from old bulls) to the best hamburgers you'll ever eat.

With a far thinner (but denser) fat layer, grass fed brisket requires a bit more care, lower cooking temperatures, and placement further from the heat source, and while "age" (on the hoof, not hung on the hook) is the real key to the best brisket, cattle fed on mixed diets are to be preferred compared to those flabby feed lot graduates.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 2:58 am

Programs: QFF WP, VA SG, Hhonors Diamond
Originally Posted by braslvr
But it is. Corned beef hash is on the menu of practically all breakfast restaurants. At least west of the Rockies. It's normally just minced corned beef and potatoes, it's delicious, and very common. I have met very few people who don't like it. (And it's nothing like scrapple)
I actually quite liked it! (I'm a big savoury fan). Mind you, after eating half of it I felt like I'd swallowed a lard brick.

And high fructose corn syrup, how could I forget! I remember getting excited because I found something somewhere that didn't have that as an ingredient - I believe it was mustard. The bread was awful (see above about savoury preference).

Mind you, I'm from australia where we don't even have a national food (or national ingredient).
Old Jul 27, 2009, 7:34 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by TMOliver
That's a claim that to me, after nearly 70 years in immediate proximity to, with great love for brisket, and regular consumption thereof, often from the Holy Temples of Brisketdom in sacred pilgrimage destinations like Llano and Taylor, I find both ridiculous and evidence of only modest familiarity with brisket on your part.

Grass fed brisket from "Corrientes" (free range cattle raised in the Brushado country where there ain't much grass and the critters may have avoided starvation by grazing on mesquite beans or cactus pads with the spines burnt off) is a rare experience and hard to match. The natural "tensile strength" of such briskets prevent "The Crumbles", a defect often apparent in brisket from "Bangtail Heifers" and other barely more than veal calves.
i lived 45 minutes from the holy temple of brisketdom, and have visited kreutz, city market, blacks, smittys, taylor cafe, muellers, coopers, and snows. whens the last time, from your familiary, have these joints smoked cows from 'corrientes'? and also many of these guys smoke their brisket at much higher temperatures than youd be comfortable with....
Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by k_sheep
Mind you, I'm from australia where we don't even have a national food (or national ingredient).
Rubbish, we're the only country in the world that eats it's national animal (or the animal on our coat of arms, whichever one it is). Haha, but yes we're pretty useless on unique food. We didn't even invent pavlova. I guess its vegemite on toast for us.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 1:18 am
Suspended

hello,

i have been to various parts of usa.

I have also visited various parts of australia, NZ, asia and Europe.

I find that food in us can vary but in most places costs less than australia and has less salt, sugar and starch but the canned drinks do carry high amounts of high frutose corn syrup which is disclosed prominently.

I love the southern style american food of gravy, scones, chicken cooked southern style that is crispy but not that oily and seasoned well and crackel barrel as well as "in and out" burgers where the fries are freshly made, not cooked from prepacked packs.

I also love that multi-coloured nacho chips that come not only in plan yellow but green and orange and the mexican chili contains the right amount of zing and flavour.

I absolutely adore cham chowder especially in the boston area and the wide availability of ben and jerry's ice cream with delicous flavours such as rocky road and chocolate bars in chocolate chip ice cream and other flavours.

The supermarkets such as Whole foods and safeways contain a huge array of sandwich types and soups and salads and its really a wonderful experience.

Even the mcdonalds in US contain a wider variety other than normal big mac or cheese burger. They have chicken biscuit which is available for breakfast

As much as american chain restaurants like mcdonalds, KFC and subway have expanded globally, its not really the same as sampling something from within USa and even the coffee in starbucks usa taste comparatively better.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I agree with caspritz78 on the situation in Germany.

In addition to the American Sports Bars he mentioned I would add:

- American Diner style restaurants (serving real hamburgers, one or two sorts of steaks, salads, sandwiches, spareribs etc.)
Aren't hamburgers invented by Germans? (i.e. city of Hamburg)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.