Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's for dinner? -- 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2022, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Not that I pay attention to marshmallows and maybe it's because we have our Thanksgiving earlier than yours, but yeah, I think it's only a thing down there. I really don't recall seeing marshmallows in any Thanksgiving displays here (although to be fair, there are a few observances close togther for us in that timeframe).

But like I said, if I come across it, I'm willing to give it a shot (as weird as it sounds to me)
It is only a US thing---just like the green bean/canned mushroom soup with canned fried onion rings on top. I hate that one but it is also a traditional US Thanksgiving dish

From Wikipedia:
Many offerings are typically served alongside the main dish. Copious leftovers are also common following the meal proper. Traditional Thanksgiving foods are sometimes specific to the day, and although some of the dishes might be seen at any semi-formal meal in the United States, the Thanksgiving dinner often has something of a ritual or traditional quality to it.[49]Many Americans would regard Thanksgiving dinner as "incomplete" without stuffing, mashed potatoes with gravy, and cranberry sauce.[50] A recipe for cranberry sauce to be served with turkey appeared in the first American cookbook, American Cookery (1796) by Amelia Simmons.[51] Commonly served vegetable dishes include mashed winter squash, turnips, and sweet potatoes, the latter often prepared with sweeteners such as brown sugar, molasses, or marshmallows. All three can be served mashed or roasted.[52] Other vegetables are often served, such as carrots or parsnips, beets, radishes, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, and/or cauliflower.[53][54][55] Creamed corn is also popular.[50]

Green beans are frequently served; in particular, green bean casserole. The recipe was invented in 1955 by Dorcas Reilly for the Campbell Soup Company to promote use of its canned cream of mushroom soup. It has since become a Thanksgiving standard
Old Nov 30, 2022, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by corky
It is only a US thing---just like the green bean/canned mushroom soup with canned fried onion rings on top. I hate that one but it is also a traditional US Thanksgiving dish
Have you tried it with sharp cheddar mixed in? Chef's kiss!
Old Nov 30, 2022, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by corky
Green beans are frequently served; in particular, green bean casserole. The recipe was invented in 1955 by Dorcas Reilly for the Campbell Soup Company to promote use of its canned cream of mushroom soup. It has since become a Thanksgiving standard
I was never a fan of green bean casserole, but it just didn't seem appealing.

All that being said, potluck Thanksgiving up here tends to be an interesting creation... all sorts of dishes that are no traditional (at least compared to traditional Thanksgiving)... One of the reasons why I like potluck <INSERT FESTIVAL HERE> meals
Old Nov 30, 2022, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Have you tried it with sharp cheddar mixed in? Chef's kiss!
I hate shrooms so the soup is out. Plus I just don't like the idea of green beans in a casserole. I do like the crunchy canned onions though. I like goat cheese or blue on beans...cheddar? hmm
Old Nov 30, 2022, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Banquet dinner:

David
corky and work2fly like this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bucatini with bay scallops
cblaisd, ILuvParis and work2fly like this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM

Jalapeño cheddar burger on a pretzel bun.
corky likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 4:58 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Steak & more ( grass fed ) steaks to come , along with tasty starters & delicious dessert / endings .. Wolf by Foxglove , WLG

Charred octopus & ..

Grass fed & finished with grain for about a year , Wakanui Blue .. truffle butter

Forbidden Fruit

Think it was blackcurrant and green apple mousse centre for the day ( changes weekly )
corky and work2fly like this.

Last edited by FlyerEC; Dec 4, 2022 at 6:08 am
Old Dec 4, 2022, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
Blueberry Pop Tarts! Haven't had them in years!!
Old Dec 4, 2022, 8:34 pm

The remaining char-siu tacos I had this afternoon (trying not to generate leftovers) and some miso soup. Tummy is warm and happy (considering we're having gusts of 70kph right now)
Old Dec 5, 2022, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Linguine carbonara
cblaisd likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Boichik bagels & spreads

bowl of cereal

Old Dec 7, 2022, 8:10 pm

Chinese roasted duck fried rice (supermarket prepared foods roasted duck). I saved some of the duck breast and skin for lunch tomorrow (will be paired with some leftover tortillas and some hoisin sauce to make something like peking duck)... wish I had saved some green onions but c'est la vie.
corky likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 2:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Belated celebratory dinner , 3 birthdays in late November & early December , Jervois Steakhouse , Auckland

For the Drivers : Cherry & pomegranate spritz and pomegranate & cranberry Bellini

Whitebait fritters

Burrata with zucchini flowers , seaweed butter

Sourdough

Steak - Firstlight Wagyu grass fed only - rump cap , Gisborne , Hawkes Bay

Very shallow / small creme brûlée with chocolate gelato
corky and gaobest like this.

Last edited by FlyerEC; Dec 8, 2022 at 2:48 pm
Old Dec 8, 2022, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Mod pizza, serramonte
8 basketball players & a smattering of parents

spicy mod pizza with hot honey
iced tea

mega yum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.