Wiki Posts
Search

Today .... I (we) have been eating ....

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2021, 10:56 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by Kalboz
beef egg rolls
These look like spring rolls. Always wanted to know the difference between Egg Rolls and Spring Rolls. I was told that one is made from dough, while Spring Rolls are made from an edible paper. Both use an egg to seal them to themselves before frying.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by teddybear99
These look like spring rolls. Always wanted to know the difference between Egg Rolls and Spring Rolls. I was told that one is made from dough, while Spring Rolls are made from an edible paper. Both use an egg to seal them to themselves before frying.
Not necessarily using an egg wash to seal.

The only difference I know between the two is the wrapper. Certainly not edible paper, but very thin dough on the spring roll. A thicker, and rougher dough on egg rolls.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Not necessarily using an egg wash to seal.

The only difference I know between the two is the wrapper. Certainly not edible paper, but very thin dough on the spring roll. A thicker, and rougher dough on egg rolls.
I think it is called rice paper but certainly isn't paper in the traditional sense. I don't know if it is possible to make the rice paper sheets at home because they are thin enough to be transparent. And you have to dip them in water to rehydrate. Egg roll & wonton wrappers are more of an actual dough.
and yes...just need to moisten the edge with water to seal.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 10:37 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
"Egg rolls" is a misnomer and I forgot that we have here on this thread a connoisseur audience. For the casing, outer shell, or whatever you want to call it, Mrs. Kalboz used the following prepared dough found at the frozen section of many ethnic markets. Either name the final product was scrumptious as she used organic grass-feed ground beef cooked with spices and served with sweet chili sauce ...

To make Vietnamese Spring Rolls, Mrs. Kalboz uses the edible rice papers …

Photo belongs to Jillian Jungkim
corky, BamaVol and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by Kalboz; Jun 30, 2021 at 10:49 am
Old Jun 30, 2021, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went to Happy Hour last night and had all kinds of wonderful apps and since every Happy Hour should end in dessert, we had warm, gooey chocolate cake. 😛
boxo and Kalboz like this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 11:14 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I had an appointment yesterday and knew we wouldn't have time to cook dinner, so got take out Korean tacos since the restaurant was close to my appointment. Just had leftovers for lunch.
boxo likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I actually had breakfast food for breakfast today. Since IKEA wont ship food products, when I was in Palo Alto, armed with a cooler and ice packs, I bought two handsful of things like elderflower and lingonberry syrups, lingonberry jam, cookies, and these pancakes. They are really good, especially for someone like me who hasnt bought eggs since the 1990s. And for some reason, I stocked up on Cowgirl Creamery Clabbered Cottage Cheese at some point. The Best by date is June 4. Im sure the other two in the fridge drawer are probably the same. 🤷🏻‍♀️

PS - Donut peaches are my favorite fruit.

Originally Posted by corky
Is that ricotta? yum!
Yes, that was ricotta. It was at the back of the fridge, unopened, and had a Best by date of May 25, a month ago. Oops.
work2fly and Kalboz like this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boxo
I actually had breakfast food for breakfast today. Since IKEA wont ship food products, when I was in Palo Alto, armed with a cooler and ice packs, I bought two handsful of things like elderflower and lingonberry syrups, lingonberry jam, cookies, and these pancakes. They are really good, especially for someone like me who hasnt bought eggs since the 1990s. And for some reason, I stocked up on Cowgirl Creamery Clabbered Cottage Cheese at some point. The Best by date is June 4. Im sure the other two in the fridge drawer are probably the same. 🤷🏻‍♀️

PS - Donut peaches are my favorite fruit.

Yes, that was ricotta. It was at the back of the fridge, unopened, and had a Best by date of May 25, a month ago. Oops.
I still can't find that Cowgirl cottage cheese!! I have been to every high end grocery store for miles around.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I’m going to make panic pepperoni pizza for today’s luncheon with a salad.
I’m working in a “Chinatown” part of Sf that has 6 amazing eateries I’ve enjoyed for years plus an astounding donut shop. I’m now returning to my car and trying to avoid the temptation of a $20 luncheon of amazing noodle soup on a 60-degree and cloudy day. Oh the temptation.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 12:53 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Cauliflower with eggs for breakfast: softened the cauliflower pieces by cooking them 10 minutes in pork stock (which was reduced in the final product) and added one chopped chili paper to enhance the bland flavor.

BamaVol likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Gaobest pizzeria:

panic pepperoni pizza
mixed green salad with Phat Beets
jarritos pineapple soda

omg i went to buy new new balance for the first time since 2019 and I passed so much beautiful temptation.

Old Jun 30, 2021, 4:23 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
gaobest Do you have a recipe for the pizza that you could share? The photos look really good!
Old Jun 30, 2021, 5:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Back for dine in at one of our favourite Italian restaurant , 2 per table

Burrata , 36 months aged ham ..

Foie gras raviolo

Prawns linguine

Pork loin , details in menus below

Hazelnut & pistachio gelato

Latte & the usual

A la carte menu

Set lunch menu

Another of June babies red velvet birthday cake
corky likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 6:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by corky
I still can't find that Cowgirl cottage cheese!! I have been to every high end grocery store for miles around.
Oh, it was available for delivery last month for a limited time. I can't remember how much the 6-pack was. Using the website's store locator and product filter, it says Gelson's s has it.

https://cowgirlcreamery.com/pages/store-locator
corky likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boxo
Oh, it was available for delivery last month for a limited time. I can't remember how much the 6-pack was. Using the website's store locator and product filter, it says Gelson's s has it.

https://www.facebook.com/CowgirlCrea...57937075446860
https://cowgirlcreamery.com/pages/store-locator
Oh wow...thank you! They didn't used to have a store locator and I have been in several Gelson's (plus Bristol Farms & giant Whole Foods & a fancy Ralph's) so this must be new! And I see Lazy Acres on there too. Thank you--funny, I don't usually get excited about cottage cheese.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.