Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Delta Reserve card from American Express.

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2008, 5:42 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Let's think about it this way... Are you ok with all your eggs being in one basket? All of your spending and miles will accumulate in DL. With the continuing devaluation of the SM program and the undefined "new" awards redemptions, are you comfortable with banking all of these miles? It is useless to have all of these miles if you can't use them, even for SkyChoice.

To me, the AmEx Platinum provides flexibility via the Membership Rewards program. If you can't find something on DL, you should be able to find something on another airline for the award travel. There are no blackout dates, there are no restrictions. You cant say the same thing with DL or ST partner awards. Also the Pay with Points allows you accumulate miles unlike DL's PWM (but that's a bit off point). To me that's the major ^ about the AmEx Platinum, the ability to actually USE the miles earned versus DL's HOPE of using the miles earned.

Also, the AmEx Platinum provides Domestic and International Companion programs. It is good to have when needed.
This is the best post in the thread. I'm surprised so many of you have signed up for the DL Reserve card knowing all the above.
Old May 7, 2008, 6:43 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Has anyone actually received the 10k or 5k MQMs (whatever they are getting) for signing up and making the 'first' purchase? If so, when are the MQMs posting to your DL account? Is it literally right after the first purchase posts to your AXP account, at the end of your first billing cycle, etc? Thanks.
Old May 7, 2008, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by GuyverII
This is the best post in the thread. I'm surprised so many of you have signed up for the DL Reserve card knowing all the above.
Us mostly retired folks can still use these SkyMiles. I have been living in Malta for the last five years but will be spending more time near Atlanta and in Costa Rica. SkySaver J seat availability to CR dictates when we travel. Getting "free" MQM's to gain status is now the new goal. The only way to gain status with BA was by actually travelling on BA flights (at least four per year). Getting status without flying is a gift from Delta.
Old May 7, 2008, 7:37 am

Programs: DL DM, Starwood Plat, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by GuyverII

I second that. Unless there is actual upgrade benefits for having the DL Reserve card, I don't plan on giving up my Biz AMEX Plat and Biz Delta AMEX Plat. I already get 5% off with the DL Biz card, and I love the flexibility of the Biz AMEX Plat.
Old May 7, 2008, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by Kibison
Us mostly retired folks can still use these SkyMiles... SkySaver J seat availability to CR dictates when we travel.
Question for you, are you traveling enough to need the benefgits of elite status? Especially since there are very limited international benefits. It also works for you because you have flexible travel schedule. The vast majority of SMers are more specific with desired travel dates.
Old May 7, 2008, 8:45 am

Question for you, are you traveling enough to need the benefgits of elite status? Especially since there are very limited international benefits. It also works for you because you have flexible travel schedule. The vast majority of SMers are more specific with desired travel dates.
I am not sure. With BA Gold, there are tons of cool benefits. The one I use the most is the ability to use any BA/OneWorld lounge in the world regardless of what airline or class I am flying on.

The "Is PM worth it?" thread and the benefits matrix on delta.com show several benefits I would be interested in.

Also, if Delta ever rolls out a true flat-bed product on all their long haul routes, like the new 777 they just bought, then who knows, I may actually start flying TATL with them again.

It was the poor TATL J product that Delta offered compared to BA that drove me away 4 years ago. (And the "20 questions" routine on all LGW departures)
Old May 7, 2008, 8:49 am

Location: Atlanta, GA - AirTran Elite #1 FF * Delta Diamond Medallion * Starwood Platinum * PriorityClub Gold * Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by atl runner
Has anyone actually received the 10k or 5k MQMs (whatever they are getting) for signing up and making the 'first' purchase? If so, when are the MQMs posting to your DL account? Is it literally right after the first purchase posts to your AXP account, at the end of your first billing cycle, etc? Thanks.
Yes, I got both the personal and business cards. I already got 5k from my AmEx Plat Business so I only got 5k more MQMs from the business card. They posted within one week.

Here's how it posts:

02 May 2008 Delta SkyMiles Credit Card DR WEL BNS
0 5000 5000 5000
Old May 7, 2008, 9:01 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by JoeFlyer
Yes, I got both the personal and business cards. I already got 5k from my AmEx Plat Business so I only got 5k more MQMs from the business card. They posted within one week.

Here's how it posts:

02 May 2008 Delta SkyMiles Credit Card DR WEL BNS
0 5000 5000 5000
Thanks JoeFlyer. Am I correct in assuming you mean "posted within one week" from the date/posting of the first purchase?
Old May 7, 2008, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
Let's think about it this way... Are you ok with all your eggs being in one basket? All of your spending and miles will accumulate in DL. With the continuing devaluation of the SM program and the undefined "new" awards redemptions, are you comfortable with banking all of these miles? It is useless to have all of these miles if you can't use them, even for SkyChoice.

To me, the AmEx Platinum provides flexibility via the Membership Rewards program. If you can't find something on DL, you should be able to find something on another airline for the award travel. There are no blackout dates, there are no restrictions. You cant say the same thing with DL or ST partner awards. Also the Pay with Points allows you accumulate miles unlike DL's PWM (but that's a bit off point). To me that's the major ^ about the AmEx Platinum, the ability to actually USE the miles earned versus DL's HOPE of using the miles earned.

Also, the AmEx Platinum provides Domestic and International Companion programs. It is good to have when needed.
Here's the way I look at it here in Detroit. I don't fly enough to maintain Gold or Platinum (although I'm NWA gold currently). I do, however, spend a boatload on my credit cards. Given the fact that I can attain Plat on Delta, and DL is taking over NW, and NW owns DTW, I'd be foolish NOT to obtain and use the Reserve card, along with my other DL MQM earning cards. Where else can you make Plat and get a bunch of miles for around $695.00 ($450-reserve, $150 Biz plat, $95 Pers plat) short of some serious MR's on error fares??
Old May 7, 2008, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by jcherney
I don't fly enough to maintain Gold or Platinum...
Then may I ask, how much of these benefits are you able to take advantage of as an Elite member that doesn't fly enough? I had no problem dropping from Platinum last year to Gold this year as I didn't fly enough on DL and didn't find the benefits worth it. This goes off topic, but goes back to the original discussion... does it matter if these MQMs are everywhere and everybody gets Elite status, if these Elitesdon't use it to fly?
Old May 7, 2008, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
Then may I ask, how much of these benefits are you able to take advantage of as an Elite member that doesn't fly enough? I had no problem dropping from Platinum last year to Gold this year as I didn't fly enough on DL and didn't find the benefits worth it. This goes off topic, but goes back to the original discussion... does it matter if these MQMs are everywhere and everybody gets Elite status, if these Elitesdon't use it to fly?
Just because I don't make gold or plat (by flying a zillion miles like most of the FT population) doesn't mean that I don't like the upgrade when it happens. And the bonus miles. And the access to advance premium seating (exits), etc. I'm spending the money anyway, so why not get Plat elite for it?

I agree with you that, for the most part, my kind of Plat is not competition for upgrades. Except for the guy who doesn't get it when I do.....
Old May 7, 2008, 4:56 pm

Programs: WN: A+, CP National: Exec. Elite. Choice hotels: Platinum Priority Club: Platinum
Delta Reserve card

I just received an invitation in the mail to receive a Delta Reserve AMEX. Did anyone who received this notice that there is a picture of the 747, which Delta does not fly, yet. I just found this slightly amusing. We get enough innacurate photos and videos from the media, you would think a airline branded credit card could get it straight.
Old May 7, 2008, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
There is a lengthy thread about the new card... perhaps this thread should be blended into it:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=811005
Old May 7, 2008, 8:42 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K; Delta Silver Medallion (1MM); Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Originally Posted by Tomphot
I've decided to stop using the DL Amex next month after I get to $50k spend and get the Business Reserve - it will easily pay for itself with the 5% rebate on DL$. It will also be useful to get my wife to GM
I certainly understand the desire to get your wife to GM. The only reason I might go with the reserve card is so I can gift MQMs to my wife and/or son and ensure they maintain FO or even make GM. But as for the 5% rebate, you can just switch from your DL Amex to the DL Business Ames and get the 5% rebate on DL$, saving yourself $260 in CC membership fees.

Originally Posted by RobertS975
Also, as others have pointed out, the Reserve card is basically free if you spend about $9K a year on DL because of the 5% discount (which I usually do).
Again just save the money and keep the $260.

Note that both of these posters did tout other Reserve bennies which are potentially good reasons to go with the Reserve card.

If the CRC benefit was an actual membership (thus including WCs and PCs), I might go ahead and make the switch myself. I'd also need the WiFi benefit at CRCs. Once DL and NW are merged thus presumably providing WC access to Reserve cardholders, I may be more likely to switch. But for now, I'm sticking with my DL Platinum.
Old May 7, 2008, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RobertS975
There is a lengthy thread about the new card... perhaps this thread should be blended into it:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=811005
I totally agree.

RSSrsvp - Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.