Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Delta Reserve card from American Express.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2008, 8:01 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Originally Posted by amps
Things of intrest, CRC included, no annual fee mentioned!!! I believe this is targeted.
They don't mention it because as soon as people see $450, they would immediately delete the e-mail and never give it a second thought. By having people call the 800 number they will probably try some high pressure sales tactic to hoodwink people into buying the near useless card.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 8:14 am

Programs: DL Gold Hopefully be DL nothing in 1 more year / Hertz Something / Hilton Honors Diamond
Sure is $450.00... I found it on their website:

https://www124.americanexpress.com/c...=deltareserve#
Old Apr 24, 2008, 8:21 am

Programs: DL PT, SPG Gold, Amex PT
So, why would anyone opt for this card over AmEx Platinum? Same price, same amenities (limited to The New Delta, I suppose), but with an extra 10K MQMs . . .
Old Apr 24, 2008, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by cbreeze
So, why would anyone opt for this card over AmEx Platinum? Same price, same amenities (limited to The New Delta, I suppose), but with an extra 10K MQMs . . .
Well there's the CRC and companion F ticket, which the Plat's don't get. But we know that both of those together still isn't worth the $450 + add'l cardholders...
Old Apr 24, 2008, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
The MQMs.

The AmEx Platinum allows lounge access to various clubs (CO, DL, NW, AA) and has the

Complimentary companion tickets through the International Airline Program - Receive a complimentary overseas companion ticket on one of 17 participating airlines when you purchase a qualifying full-fare First-Class or Business-Class ticket through Platinum Travel Service
http://www201.americanexpress.com/ap...gmID=undefined
Old Apr 24, 2008, 8:52 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
So, why would anyone opt for this card over AmEx Platinum?
In the original leaked info on this card, there was supposed to be a 5% discount on all Delta travel purchased with the card, which would easily offset the annual fee. However, I don't see that mentioned in the e-mail or the current website description, unless I missed it while skimming over it.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 8:55 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 2 Million Miler, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President’s Club
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
So, why would anyone opt for this card over AmEx Platinum?
In the original leaked info on this card, there was supposed to be a 5% discount on all Delta travel purchased with the card, which would easily offset the annual fee. However, I don't see that mentioned in the e-mail or the current website description, unless I missed it while skimming over it.
That was for the business version.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 8:59 am

Programs: DL DM, Starwood Plat, Hertz 5*
I did get the e-mail as well. I don't see the advantage of this card over the Delta Amex Plat Business Card. You already get 5% off (open-savings) with the DL Plat Business Card. Unless there are some significant better benefits from this card, I don't even think about switching.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 9:33 am

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Originally Posted by RobertS975
I can't emphasize this enough.... if someone is a medallion but really doesn't fly, then they are not competing for anything!
Well, actually they are. While they won't be vying for many upgrades, they will have access to a larger award inventory. That matters to to those of us who take a couple of European vacations a year and like to ride up front. Inventory is dismal if you're not at least FO or GM.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:28 am

Location: Sanibel. FL,AMEX-Centurion, DL-PLAT MM, Continental GE, US AIR PLAT,
Programs: Starwood Plat,Hilton Gold,Priority Club Ambasador-PLAT
Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer
I have a platinum Amex Card and a lifetime(4mm +) DL platinum status. Got the email today from DL suggesting I upgraded to this new card. Why would I even want to consider it, unless I had a spare $395 I wanted to burn, because for me it does nothing.
Actually, you may want to reconsider as it could be a big bonus for you if used properly. If you assume you spend $60,000 on your plat amex, you would only receive 60,000 total miles at the end of the year(both cards have 2 for 1 for gas,pharmacy.etc). With the Reserve amex you would receive an additonal 60,000 miles for spending $60,000 in a calendar year!! Since this is getting close to a free business ticket which cost around 5-6 thousand (or even $2200 for M class if you use your system-wide upgrades) you gain a substantial amount over the plat amex card. If you're concerned about lounges internationally or domestic, you can always join priority pass for a fee($99-399) that would still put you well ahead of the plat. amex. Also for $175 you can get an authorized user that hopefully spends money which you don't have to pay(a friend or someone else) and he will earn mqm's and bonus miles just like you would, but they will be deposited to YOUR account!! I understand you don't need MQM's but these are just as good as bonus so you could get an additional 60,000!! Since I carry the Black Amex I receive a priority pass and crown room for free but it still makes sense for me to upgrade my Plat skymiles amex(for additional $310 since i hold another amex product,$395-$85) for the additional MQM's i receive(25,000 this year or 50 depending if i add my wife on the card!) You do have to buy a first class ticket to receive a companion, but they haven't decided what the fare class will be yet. If it is an A class it may well be worth it in some markets!!No I don't work for Delta, I'm a retired Doc. Craig

Last edited by sportsbe; Apr 24, 2008 at 10:53 am
Old Apr 24, 2008, 11:17 am

Programs: DL GM
T and C. "Note that amenities may vary among airport club locations and free Wi-Fi amenity is not included."

This is free and included with CRC membership....each day costs $10 to use T mobile access in a lounge. Quite useful when you don't want to travel with a laptop and just want to do a quick email check on their desktops prior to departure....

Another reason why this card is bunk.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA, CO, DL, KE Morning Calm, OZ Gold, UA
Unless you're after the MQMs, it would seem that a CO President's Plus Card is a far better deal...
Old Apr 24, 2008, 1:54 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
I sent an email to AMEX about their reserve card....here's the response

The sections in bold are the answers to the specific questions that I had. I'm still a little confused on the YTD spending balance. I have the Delta Platinum card and have already received 10K MQMs for the first threshhold. The answer they gave seems to imply that as long as I convert the platinum to Reserve, I should be getting 15K MQMs plus the 5K MQMs for my first purchase within the next few weeks....seems too easy though. What do you all think?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your e-mail.

In response to your inquiry, our Delta Reserve Card product is a new fee-based premium Consumer Cobrand product that is designed to address the needs of Delta’s most loyal Customers. Delta Reserve provides a unique benefits package that has been designed to improve the overall flying experience. These benefits include:

- A lump sum of Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) upon first usage (the amount will vary based on the Card upgrade path.

- $30,000 - $60,000 annual spend thresholds = 15,000 bonus miles and 15,000 MQMs to keep or gift to someone else with a SkyMiles® account.

- Priority upgrades (subject to availability, Medallion status and fare class).

- Crown Room Club® Access with spouse & children under 21 or up to 2 guest traveling on Delta.

- At annual renewal, fee free domestic companion certificate for a 1st class or coach ticket.

- 1 SkyMile per $1 spend.

- Pay with Miles option on the Delta.com website.

- Concierge service.

- Always Double Miles - You would earn 2 SkyMiles for every eligible "Always Double Miles" dollar spent.

In addition, the annual fee associated with a Delta Reserve Card product is $450.00. The annual fee associated with a Delta Reserve Additional is $175.00 and the annual fee associated with a Platinum Additional is zero.

Also, if you transfer your current Platinum Delta SkyMiles Card in to a Delta Reserve Card product, you will only receive 5,000 Medallion Qualification Miles.

If you apply for a new Delta Reserve Card product, it would be established separately as a new Card account. If you transfer your current Card to delta Reserve Card product, you would maintain the same account and your spending would be calculated as per Delta Reserve Card Miles Boost.

I am glad to have been of service to you and hope this information is of help.

If there is any other way in which we may be of assistance, please contact us.

Your Membership is important to us and we hope that you will continue to allow us to meet your Card needs for many more years.

Sincerely,

/P. Bishnoi
Email Servicing Team
American Express Interactive Services

Last edited by jtrue28; Apr 24, 2008 at 1:56 pm Reason: clarification
Old Apr 24, 2008, 2:31 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Priority Club, Hhonors
I think the ability to earn MQMs on an annual basis from spending alone is the carrot. The CRC, Companion, and Membership Rewards from regular Platinum Amex are pretty much neutral compared with this, and in some cases better than the Reserve card.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA Credit Card
6000 free extra miles!

I just tried to cancle my AMEX Plat. card b/c I got this card.

When I went to cancle he had processed everything then mentioned that my card was paid up until the end of July and I would also only have 30 days to use my rewards points. Then after I said that was fine, he offered me 6,000 miles for me to keep my plat. card open.

The 6k miles have no catch, and I can cancel in a few weeks after they post... I can live with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.