New Delta Reserve card from American Express.

Old Apr 9, 2008, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
New Delta Reserve card from American Express.

Kudos to troyb for posting this in another thread, but this is noteworthy enough to have its own thread.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onthef...ith-a-purpose/

This new credit card, called Delta Reserve, will award 15,000 MQMs per $30,000 of spending and give CRC membership for an alleged fee of $450 year. Apparently the MQM bonus will be awarded for each $30K of spending. And according to the blog piece, you may be able to transfer those MQMs to another FF (spouse, kid etc.)

So this card will essentially compete with the Amex platinum card... obviously the non-affinity Amex platinum card also gets one into World Clubs and CO PCs as well as AA clubs. But the regular Amex cards do not get you elite qualifying miles on any carrier as far as I know.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
If the details are correct, this card is positioned in at an odd level. It doesn't give as many MQMs as the DL Plat Amex. 15,000 MQMs for $30,000 versus10,000 MQMs for $25,000 (up to 20,000 MQMs.)
Old Apr 9, 2008, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
If the details are correct, this card is positioned in at an odd level. It doesn't give as many MQMs as the DL Plat Amex. 15,000 MQMs for $30,000 versus10,000 MQMs for $25,000 (up to 20,000 MQMs.)
So could I get both this one and the DL Plat Amex and earn 35k MQM without flying?

Then I'll only need 40K BIS miles to make PM.

Old Apr 9, 2008, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
I think the key with this card, at least based on my understanding after reading Randy's blog on it, is that you can basically earn unlimited MQM's. The current DL Plat AMEX's are capped. There are plenty of business owners, business travelers, and even individuals who have the spending levels to blow through $100,000's or even millions annually. Picture a small business owner who spends $1,000,000 on supplies/equipment annually - they'll be able to earn almost 500,000 MQM's!!!!!! At current levels, thats enough to make themselves AND five of their friends DL Platinum Medallion. All without ever stepping foot on a plane. It's bad enough to be able to earn Platinum for yourself without flying, but being able to give it away as well??? Seems a little excessive to me.

For those that do not agree with this, all we can do is speak with our dollars. Complaining and whining about it isn't going to make a difference. It's clear to me that between this and the other MQM promotions currently out there, DL can charge a nice premium for selling MQM's over normal Skymiles. I don't blame them for doing it, but its very penny wise pound foolish and they are taking an incredibly short sighted view. In the longer term, things like this alienate the best and most loyal customers, mostly because it makes their loyalty count for nothing.

Last edited by troyb; Apr 9, 2008 at 1:40 pm
Old Apr 9, 2008, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I can't imagine not having a cap on the MQMs. But if that's indeed the case, it's also a quick way to MM status. And with the double MQM promotion, you'll only need 20k BIS miles if you do your travel before the end of June. That's assuming you're not also earning MQMs by buying miles, staying at Hiltons, etc.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 2:06 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HH, CRC
oh man.. thats exactly what we need.. more free MQM!!!
Old Apr 9, 2008, 2:10 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HH, CRC
Did anyone read the article?

It's capped just like the amex..

30k max MQM

so between the two that's GM status..

Now, as to the argument that this is bad news for those who actually earn elite by flying. Well, Im one of those guys and will elbow my way to the upgrade list with the best of them. I dont feel too threatened. Obviously this could only get someone to Silver just by spending.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by stevenryals
Did anyone read the article?

It's capped just like the amex..

30k max MQM

so between the two that's GM status..
I don't think that this is clear yet, if anything based on the article it appears to NOT be limited:

"The key reason for this card is that for every $30K of credit card spend you will earn 15K of MQMs (thats Delta talk for elite qualifying miles). So, spend $60K a year and guess what youve got enough MQMs for Silver Medallion with Delta which is also respected over at Continental and Northwest."

To be fair, until this card comes out we won't know for sure. If it is indeed limited to just 15,000 MQM's, thats not too bad. If it's unlimited, well, thats a serious problem.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

I can't emphasize this enough.... if someone is a medallion but really doesn't fly, then they are not competing for anything!
Old Apr 9, 2008, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by RobertS975
I can't emphasize this enough.... if someone is a medallion but really doesn't fly, then they are not competing for anything!
Amen.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 6:32 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
There are more of these people out there than it seems. So invariably there will normally be atleast a few on each flight making upgrade prob lower.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 6:44 pm

I can't emphasize the opposite enough. If someone who would have had no status but has earned PM by using this card is on YOUR flight then you are now fighting them for your upgrade. In this example, no credit card, no PM status, no upgrade competition. I understand the argument that someone who earns their status via a non-BIS method will not actually fly as much as those who earn their status BIS, but when they do fly, the increased competition is there.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
I wonder who will issue the card? Given Delta's relationship with Amex, I would bet heavily that it will be an Amex of some flavor.

David
Old Apr 9, 2008, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by troyb
I can't emphasize the opposite enough. If someone who would have had no status but has earned PM by using this card is on YOUR flight then you are now fighting them for your upgrade. In this example, no credit card, no PM status, no upgrade competition. I understand the argument that someone who earns their status via a non-BIS method will not actually fly as much as those who earn their status BIS, but when they do fly, the increased competition is there.
I can see your argument... if DL were really clever, they would almost everybody a medallion and suck them in with a chance for upgrades and the medallion bonus.

The real net effect will be to make companion upgrades more difficult and non-revs will spend more time in the back.

Look, last year, you could earn 30K MQMs will your Amex card... so far, I have not missed a single upgrade in 2008 and neither has my wife, also a PM.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by DiverDave
I wonder who will issue the card? Given Delta's relationship with Amex, I would bet heavily that it will be an Amex of some flavor.
I would think it would use AmEx's network. Since DL was bailed out in part by American Express, I would doubt AmEx would allow DL to issue a card with a competitor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.