Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Delta Reserve card from American Express.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2008, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by barrypii
I just tried to cancle my AMEX Plat. card b/c I got this card.

When I went to cancle he had processed everything then mentioned that my card was paid up until the end of July and I would also only have 30 days to use my rewards points. Then after I said that was fine, he offered me 6,000 miles for me to keep my plat. card open.

The 6k miles have no catch, and I can cancel in a few weeks after they post... I can live with that.
barrypii, welcome to Flyertalk!

Why do you think they offered you miles to keep the AMEX Plat or are you referring to the DL Amex Plat?
Old Apr 24, 2008, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA Credit Card
Thanks for the welcome, They offered me the 6000 points to keep my AMEX Platinum Charge card. Since I can still cancle until July without paying the membership fee, I took it.

I basically didn't really need the charge card, and this card suites my needs better, and I will save 150 a year by combining the two.. worked for me.

On a seperate note they told me I would get 10k mqm's and 10k miles for upgrading my amex delta skymiles plat card to this card... If I get 5k I will be upset.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 8:59 pm
ck8

Programs: Delta SkyMiles GM/United Mileage Plus/Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by jtrue28
I sent an email to AMEX about their reserve card....here's the response

- Priority upgrades (subject to availability, Medallion status and fare class).
Can someone explain exactly what this means. What if I have NO status wilth DL but have this card? Does this mean upgrade is possible but at the lowest priority?
Old Apr 25, 2008, 8:51 am

I'm confused. I originally heard about this card from a posting on View from the Wings where he describes it as follows...

"Randy Petersen has some big news from the co-branded credit card world.

Delta is introducing a credit card which offers the ability to earn an unlimited number of status miles (with enough spending on the card, of course) and gift those status miles to yourself or others."

But reading the information from Amex it isn't clear to me that the ability to earn MQM is unlimited. Has anyone confirmed this? I didn't see it in the fine print (but might have missed it) and the summary page refers to two levels of 30,000 each only.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:30 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Thanks for the welcome, They offered me the 6000 points to keep my AMEX Platinum Charge card. Since I can still cancle until July without paying the membership fee, I took it.

I basically didn't really need the charge card, and this card suites my needs better, and I will save 150 a year by combining the two.. worked for me.

On a seperate note they told me I would get 10k mqm's and 10k miles for upgrading my amex delta skymiles plat card to this card... If I get 5k I will be upset.
I just upgraded my AMEX DL Plat card to the Reserve card. I can confirm that you will only receive 5000 MQMs (and 5000 bonus miles) for upgrading the DL platinum card.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, A+Elite, Marriott Gold
I still have my CRC membership until next April and now with the reserve card....
will I be able to bring 4 travel companions into CR??

I upgraded from my Bus Plat DL card. Does this mean I have to pay $170 for each additional cardholders I have on my business?? That will be wayyy too much.

I also got the 20,000 MQM milesboost for this calendar year already. When I spend $60,000 more on the new reserve card, will I get 30,000 more MQM??, or just the extra 10,000.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 2:25 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer
...and a lifetime(4mm +) DL platinum status.
I can't find the word "lifetime" anywhere in the description of MM benefits.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:29 am

I recieved my 10k miles and 10k mqm's today...
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:42 am

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, Starwood Gold Preferred, AMEX Platinum, AMEX DL Platinum
so.. to clarify... the 5% off is for BUSINESS reserve cards only?

I thought it was for personal as well.. if it isn't.. then I'll cancel my upgrade to personal reserve and move it to business reserve.. do you know if it's easy to change to Business?
Old Apr 26, 2008, 1:30 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
I recieved my 10k miles and 10k mqm's today...
guess I got shafted...

EDIT: Recieved 10K MQMs today...don't really know why, but not complaining. Description says Platinum SkyMiles CC - Miles Boost. I already received the $25K mile boost last week, so I assume this 10K mile boost is for upgrading to the Reserve card.

Last edited by jtrue28; Apr 27, 2008 at 6:55 am Reason: update
Old Apr 26, 2008, 3:31 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum
Coming from a NW flyer-

I have a NW credit card, but haven't used it for years, as I have tons and tons of unused miles (and the number grows each year).

However, this card looks interesting to me. I always have status with NW, but I'm often on the cusp of Gold or Plat, but don't quite make it. The 30,000 MQM will often be enough to push me from silver to plat, and that is certainly worth it.

So you get the 1 mile per dollar spent PLUS up to 30,000 MQM and bonus miles per year.

Now can someone explain to me what this first class companion ticket is?
What fare has to be purchased?
Old Apr 27, 2008, 3:41 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by g50
So would this 160k spend net you 230k miles?
Yes, because the MileBoosts for both the Platinum and Reserve cards are both MQMs and RDMs rolled into one.

The appeal of this card for people with the ability to spend huge amounts on it annually is primarily the MileBoosts. For $60K spend I would be doing in any circumstance, I can get 90K RDMs (of which 30K are MQMs - excluding initial bonuses) with the Reserve card. That is a superb deal.

I just learned there is both Business and Personal version of the Reserve card (similar to the Platinum card structure). Just as you can "double up" by getting both versions of the Plat, I assume you can do this with the Reserve to. This means that if you can get approved for all and charge the h*ll out of them, ignoring all initial bonuses, you'll be able to get 100K MQM per year without flying a single mile, assuming you can spend $220K annually on your Delta credit cards as follows:

Spend $50K on a Delta Plat Personal, Earn 20K MQM
Spend $50K on a Delta Plat Business, Earn 20K MQM
Spend $60K on a Delta Reserve Business, Earn 30K MQM
Spend $60K on a Delta Reserve Personal, Earn 30K MQM

If you include initial bonuses in the first year, you are looking at substantially more (120K MQM, I think). Of course only 75K MQMs are needed for top-tier Platinum Medallion Status with Delta, so you could either give the surplus away to a friend or spouse or just hog them all and speed up your track to MM status

Want to get even crazier? Have your spouse (or very generous friend) get the two Reserve cards as well and send the 60K MQMs your way... then you'd really be on your way to MM status (if they dont kill this offer anytime soon).

As has been noted before, anyone earning status by spending and not flying really isnt likely to tax the upgrade availability much. It might encourage someone to buy more paid fares more often with the airline for which they've earned status (which is great for the airline), but I can't imagine someone taking 10 extra trips per year when they otherwise wouldn't have flown enough to earn status the old fashioned way. Also, there are very few people who can spend tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on a credit card per year, and those who do are helping the airline (through the revenue they secure through these affinity partnerships) enough that a few upgrades here and there are well deserved.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 7:41 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA Gold MM, Hilton LTD, Marriott LTP, Hertz PC
After reading this tread, I'm still not clear on something.

Do I get 5K MQMs if I upgrade/convert my exsisting DL Skymiles platinum card?

and/or

Can I get 10K MQMs if I open a new DL Reserve card/account and keep my exsisting DL Skymiles platinum card?
Old Apr 27, 2008, 7:56 am

I upgraded my Delta Skymiles Plat to the Delta reserve card. I recieved 10k miles and mqm's.

They kept my wife on the Skymiles Plat so I didn't have to pay an additional 175 per year to give her the reserve. AU's can be kept on the Plat card for free.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 10:38 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
I upgraded my Delta Skymiles Plat to the Delta reserve card. I recieved 10k miles and mqm's.

They kept my wife on the Skymiles Plat so I didn't have to pay an additional 175 per year to give her the reserve. AU's can be kept on the Plat card for free.

May I ask what benefit make you fork over the extra money? I can't see any benefit worth that kind of money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.