Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Narita NRT Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo Narita NRT Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2012, 9:00 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by rrz518
My impression was that the food selection was sparse and unappetizing (which can be controlled). Both locations I visited were quite full (which to me was off-putting, but that's not anyone's fault, that's what they are intended for). As I don't drink (alcohol) the beer machines were not a factor.

By the descriptions laid out here in previous posts, I was expecting something akin to the KLM lounges in Amsterdam (or the United International First loungs in SFO). I did get to visit the Thai Business Class lounge in BKK later in this trip and was blown away. Too bad I didn't spring for 1st, I'm sure that was even better...

So compared with those, big disappointment. It was (somewhat) better than the domestic Skyclubs, but I was led to believe that it was a LOT better, and this was a let-down, esp compared with the lounges mentioned above.
I'm also trying to understand why the plates they give you are so damn small... It's a little embarrassing when the attendant comes to clear your plates and you have 5 plates and 3 coffee cups because nothing is American sized

But alas, the food is meant for snacking, not to gorge myself and make a meal out of (because you barely can).

I still understand that the NRT sky clubs are the best in the DL system, but not unlike their international products and overall products/offerings, fall very short behind highly regarded international (yet smaller) airlines like CX and SQ.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tentseller
Definitely, so were TPAC boarding pass surprises.
Ooo, Phantom UG's. ^
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by turnpike17
+1 I was there last week and it was an amazing skyclub, I wish all were like that. The Sushi was great as well.
Thought I'd update the thread regarding the lounge food. I am currently sitting in the lounge at 1230pm and the food is rather scarce. Congee nobody is eating, some salad with very small bowls, and pasta with noodles in about one quarter cup servings. There is also some chocolate cake with very small portion sizes, pretzels and a nut mix. Reasonable alcohol selection. No sandwiches, finger food or sushi.

While this is not a very generous lounge with food offerings it is a pleasant place with comfortable chairs. I do wish there were more outlets though.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by DrPSB
Thought I'd update the thread regarding the lounge food. I am currently sitting in the lounge at 1230pm and the food is rather scarce. Congee nobody is eating, some salad with very small bowls, and pasta with noodles in about one quarter cup servings. There is also some chocolate cake with very small portion sizes, pretzels and a nut mix. Reasonable alcohol selection. No sandwiches, finger food or sushi.

While this is not a very generous lounge with food offerings it is a pleasant place with comfortable chairs. I do wish there were more outlets though.
I stand corrected, they just brought out some sushi and small wraps.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by DrPSB
I stand corrected, they just brought out some sushi and small wraps.
It appears that they might alternate between two types of sushi: one with masago (capelin roe if I'm not mistaken) on the outside and pickled gourd on the inside, and one with sesame on the outside but I'm not sure what's on the inside.

With the wraps, it seems to switch between a veggie wrap (quite tasteless) and some kind of sandwich....

Then the pasta, every time I go it happens to be pasta with a tomato sauce and I believe mushrooms if I remember correctly? Or they have an asian style e-fu noodles I think.

They have japanese rice cracker mixes, and sometimes potato crisps (like pringles). Love the little mini soy sauce bottles you can use with the sushi.

There are also little "salad" cups that have a tomato, cucumber, and a few pieces of lettuce and carrot... Bleu cheese dressing on the side. I usually put the bleu cheese dressing on my wrap as well.

Again, please correct me if I'm wrong--I'm doing this all from memory and as of late DL SCs at NRT, even though they are the "best" in the system, are not that memorable.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Originally Posted by bj27
It appears that they might alternate between two types of sushi: one with masago (capelin roe if I'm not mistaken) on the outside and pickled gourd on the inside, and one with sesame on the outside but I'm not sure what's on the inside.

With the wraps, it seems to switch between a veggie wrap (quite tasteless) and some kind of sandwich....

Then the pasta, every time I go it happens to be pasta with a tomato sauce and I believe mushrooms if I remember correctly? Or they have an asian style e-fu noodles I think.

They have japanese rice cracker mixes, and sometimes potato crisps (like pringles). Love the little mini soy sauce bottles you can use with the sushi.

There are also little "salad" cups that have a tomato, cucumber, and a few pieces of lettuce and carrot... Bleu cheese dressing on the side. I usually put the bleu cheese dressing on my wrap as well.

Again, please correct me if I'm wrong--I'm doing this all from memory and as of late DL SCs at NRT, even though they are the "best" in the system, are not that memorable.
Agreed on the memorable comment; from what I read previously, I was expecting (or at least hoping for) a top shelf lounge akin to the Thai First or Business lounge at BKK or any other host of examples; while the physical room is nice, the food is bland, mediocre selection, etc.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Food has been the same in the past year:

Small fried rice bowls
Sushi
Pasta
Sometimes noodles
Chips/pretzels
Various soups

Was there last week, be there tomorrow.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by rrz518
Agreed on the memorable comment; from what I read previously, I was expecting (or at least hoping for) a top shelf lounge akin to the Thai First or Business lounge at BKK or any other host of examples; while the physical room is nice, the food is bland, mediocre selection, etc.
Agreed. On our last trip we visited the China Airlines VIP Lounge in TPE, with STE+ access from my dad.

While the lounge itself was physically not as nice, they had a noodle bar where you could choose from a few types of freshly made noodle dishes, dim sum selections, breakfast selections (it was 8am), all sorts of canned beer, dumplings, etc.

Decent spread for a non-J/F lounge.

DL's lounge is rather nice physically, but the soft product is VERY lacking. Hardly a place to get a "meal."
Old May 2, 2013, 3:04 pm

My opinion, the satellite 2 SC is the better choice.
Newer and larger showers.
Closer to the runway. Better for pictures.

Other than that they are the same.
Old May 2, 2013, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Agree, that SC has really nice newer shower facilities.
Old May 2, 2013, 8:26 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Food has been the same in the past year:

Small fried rice bowls
Sushi
Pasta
Sometimes noodles
Chips/pretzels
Various soups

Was there last week, be there tomorrow.
Isn't there congee also?
Old May 2, 2013, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Isn't there congee also?
There's congee.. With various toppings. I think there are three--chopped green onions, a sort of cold, stir-fried pork? with asian preserved veggies, and something else I can't remember at the moment. I've never had it but it seems to be popular among Asian travelers.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by bj27
There's congee.. With various toppings. I think there are three--chopped green onions, a sort of cold, stir-fried pork? with asian preserved veggies, and something else I can't remember at the moment. I've never had it but it seems to be popular among Asian travelers.
You should try it sometime. It's Asian comfort food. I'm not Asian but grew up inl SE Asia and look forward to getting congee at the NRT SC whenever I travel to Asia. I eat congee sometimes in restaurants in the US but somehow that isn't the same as eating it in Asia.

Last edited by CarmenOM; May 4, 2013 at 5:08 pm
Old May 4, 2013, 4:56 pm

I bought 2 one day passes for my trip MCI-BKK on June 29, returning July 31. I am travelling using FF miles (80,000) and have a 7 hour layover in MSP, a 55 minute layover at Narita and, returning, I have a almost a 2 hour layover in Narita and a 4 hour layover in ATL. I know that you can use the pass at multiple layovers, even though there is a date change. I really bought the passes for the extremely long layover in MSP and the moderately long one at ATL. I have been through Narita many times and am aware of having to go through security and down the escalator to the gates. On my return flight, I should have plenty of time to spend at least an hour in the Narita sky club but would like to at least try out the beer machine before boarding my flight to BKK. Is 55 minutes enough time for that or would you just go to the gate after clearing security?
Old May 4, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dean1953
I bought 2 one day passes for my trip MCI-BKK on June 29, returning July 31. I am travelling using FF miles (80,000) and have a 7 hour layover in MSP, a 55 minute layover at Narita and, returning, I have a almost a 2 hour layover in Narita and a 4 hour layover in ATL. I know that you can use the pass at multiple layovers, even though there is a date change. I really bought the passes for the extremely long layover in MSP and the moderately long one at ATL. I have been through Narita many times and am aware of having to go through security and down the escalator to the gates. On my return flight, I should have plenty of time to spend at least an hour in the Narita sky club but would like to at least try out the beer machine before boarding my flight to BKK. Is 55 minutes enough time for that or would you just go to the gate after clearing security?
Just went through NRT yesterday, took less than 15 min from plane to SC but that is rare. If you are sitting in the back, they will already be boarding after you get through security. That is, if your flt is on time. Enjoy the lounge on your return flt but don't count on it for the outbound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.