Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

In-Flight WiFi Internet Service Aboard Delta Air Lines Aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In-Flight WiFi Internet Service Aboard Delta Air Lines Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2009, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by indufan
You know they finally got the price down pretty good then it pretty quickly vanished. It think it was down to .10 per minute for Verizon customers and it could be billed to your cell phone. I think I might be the only person that actually received an airphone call once.
I took advantage of it when Verizon linked it to my cell phone.

I think the wifi will catch on and will become expected on airplanes.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
I think the wifi will catch on and will become expected on airplanes.
i used it on my most recent trip (ATL-PHL) on the way up. granted i only had about an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes to use it, but it was worth it. given the pricing of $50 for a month, if you do more than 4 legs in a month, its worth it.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
According to this post, the monthly wifi is $50. Which isn't bad if you fly the right routes a few times a month.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by tcailloux
On my ATL-EWR flight today, I saw that there is a new 30-day service plan available for $50.
Schweet. That's a fair price for anyone who is going to use it 5+ times per month. I'll actually schedule more flights on equipped routes to take advantage of it so the plan will make sense for me.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:45 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Got the email today. $49.99 / Month (Special Introductory Price).

Link:
http://one.gogoinflight.com/content/0609_Campaign
Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:48 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
It's Already out. I received a 25% discount on my next flight, as well as their introductory price for a 30 days pass.

Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bwhite
As a former Vz employee but now an AT&T user I have tried both's 3G products. I won't get into which is better as that is getting even more off topic. However neither compares to the bandwidth and lower latency available on wire based broadband. It is not always about bandwidth especially for media streaming, latency is just as and maybe more important.
As a computer engineer, let me call foul here.

Latency is irrelevant in media streaming. It matters a lot in gaming, and it matters a little bit in things like web pages (whether the page loads 'instantly' or takes a second), but does not matter in non-interactive tasks. Once you start the media stream, if the bandwidth is sufficient, it doesn't matter if the latency is 0.1 seconds or 15 seconds. (Well, I suppose it would matter if you're fast-forwarding/rewinding past your local buffer, but that's about it.)

3G bandwidth may or may not exceed wired bandwidth. It depends on the circumstances. I find that in most hotels, I get better bandwidth on 3G, especially at peak times of the day, because the hotel's pipe isn't big enough for everyone in the hotel using WiFi. But it varies.

Also, the 3G experience is pretty standard - doesn't force me to have to navigate through each hotel's individual wifi landing page.

And, 3G is more secure, since it doesn't have you trying to connect to open access points, which may or may not be the access point you think you're getting.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by B7e7US
It's Already out. I received a 25% discount on my next flight, as well as their introductory price for a 30 days pass.

Too bad that the "unlimited" option is only for a single carrier.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:11 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mooper
Also, keep in mind that when 4G is as ubiquitous as 3G, data speeds will be sufficient to dump wired data connections just as wired landlines are being dumped for wireless (cell) phones.

Low latency doesn't do much good when you can't count on having service. Most users would trade slightly slower latency for much better coverage.
I don't see many people dumping wired data connections for wireless 3G/4G ones. I may add that on, but the latency on these wireless cell data networks is horrid and there is no way any time in the short term they are going to catch up with the 50Mbit down/10Mbit up I get on my home internet connection!
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:14 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
According to this post, the monthly wifi is $50. Which isn't bad if you fly the right routes a few times a month.
That's an introductory price. I'd like to see them team up with one of the paid WIFI providers to give us wifi in other places and then I might bite.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by jfulcher
I don't see many people dumping wired data connections for wireless 3G/4G ones. I may add that on, but the latency on these wireless cell data networks is horrid and there is no way any time in the short term they are going to catch up with the 50Mbit down/10Mbit up I get on my home internet connection!
You are correct that not many (except those who use it more when they travel than at home, or those without good wired options at home) will dump wired for 3G wireless. 4G, however, is an entirely different story. It is just beginning rollout and will take a few years to be widespread, but once it is, the speeds will be more than sufficient to replace fast wired connections like your own. *Some* users will want or need every drop they can get, and wired connections (especially fiber) might remain the best source for it, but the vast majority of users wouldn't notice the tiny latency of 4G nor miiss a few MB of speed once they are into the dozens.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Originally Posted by raehl311
As a computer engineer, let me call foul here.

Latency is irrelevant in media streaming. It matters a lot in gaming, and it matters a little bit in things like web pages (whether the page loads 'instantly' or takes a second), but does not matter in non-interactive tasks. Once you start the media stream, if the bandwidth is sufficient, it doesn't matter if the latency is 0.1 seconds or 15 seconds. (Well, I suppose it would matter if you're fast-forwarding/rewinding past your local buffer, but that's about it.).
That would depend on the application. Sling for example is not very tolerant to changes in latency (aka jitter) that is common place on today's 3G networks. It also does not feature an endless buffer size like youtube permits. Even sling running to my blackberry which uses a low bandwidth profile over 3G seldomely works without numerous freezes and stutter. So I would offer that latency characteristics of a network are important to media streaming.

Last edited by bwhite; Jun 3, 2009 at 12:31 pm
Old Jun 3, 2009, 12:19 pm

Buy Gogo30 Day Pass and:
Get unlimited Internet access for 30 days on all Gogo equipped Delta Air Lines flights for an introductory price of $49.95
Make one, simple payment for Gogo Inflight Internet for the next 30 Days
Access the Internet using your Wi-Fi enabled laptop and handheld device
This Gogo 30 Day Pass price is specific to Delta Air Lines flights only. The Gogo 30 Day Pass expires 720 hours from first sign in.
Just my luck - last month 14 MD88 flights but no monthly plan, this month, few MD88 legs, lots of 737, 757 and 767 which means low probability of GoGo.

Glad to see it is for 720 continuous hours (30 days) from first use rather than a calendar month. Too bad the plan is restircted to one airline.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by bwhite
That would depend on the application. Sling for example is not very tolerant to changes in latency (aka jitter) that is common place on today's 3G networks. It also does not feature an endless buffer size like youtube permits. Even sling running to my blackberry which uses a low bandwidth profile over 3G seldomely works without numerous freezes and stutter. So I would offer that latency characteristics of a network are important to media streaming, as any VoIP (one of the more demanding media applications) network geek will confirm.
I use a 3G connection (Verizon EvDO Rev A) on a daily basis to stream a video news feed via Slingbox. Jitter is extremely rare, as the buffer more than sufficiently handles any burps. Could be a function of your device or perhaps a less than ideal 3G connection.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 12:34 pm

Streaming video on GoGo

I know there has been some concern raised over streaming video and potential impact to everyone's experience. Looks like they have that covered in their QoS policy:

Like any mobile broadband network, connectivity speed may vary due to your device, atmospheric conditions, terrain, network capacity, and aircraft location. In order to preserve an equitable passenger experience for everyone, Gogo prioritizes different types of usage. Some content, file sharing or gaming requiring high bandwidth, such as streaming audio and video, is given a lower priority and at times may not work consistently or at all. Your airline may also have policies that would restrict some uses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.