FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   In-Flight WiFi Internet Service Aboard Delta Air Lines Aircraft (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/932425-flight-wifi-internet-service-aboard-delta-air-lines-aircraft.html)

doug93063 Jan 18, 2009 12:18 pm

In-Flight WiFi Internet Service Aboard Delta Air Lines Aircraft

.....but have found it twice on other carriers.

Any idea what the status is of implementing this? Do they release information on which planes have it?

3Cforme Jan 18, 2009 12:45 pm

Are you looking to start a stampede in short-selling of Aircell?

If DL is making proper progress on 300+ aircraft by mid-year, it would seem a true frequent flyer (if on the correct type of aircraft) would find one fairly soon.

If you just happen to frequent LAX-JFK and find wifi reliably on one of twelve AA 767-200s, good for you.

doug93063 Jan 18, 2009 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 11098450)
Are you looking to start a stampede in short-selling of Aircell?

If DL is making proper progress on 300+ aircraft by mid-year, it would seem a true frequent flyer (if on the correct type of aircraft) would find one fairly soon.

If you just happen to frequent LAX-JFK and find wifi reliably on one of twelve AA 767-200s, good for you.

A rather wordy way of saying "I don't know", dontcha think?

amps Jan 18, 2009 1:37 pm

I was on an MD88 last week it had wifi but only a 45 minute flight though so I didn't try it. There is a logo right near the boarding door that says WIFI.

TTT Jan 18, 2009 2:49 pm

They were doing the MD-88s first, right?

indufan Jan 18, 2009 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by TTT (Post 11099008)
They were doing the MD-88s first, right?

Yep...and I haven't seen one yet either.

discstickers Jan 18, 2009 4:14 pm

I had it on my ATL-BUF-ATL flights last week. I bought it since I needed to check in (was on a same-day turn MR). It worked on the return flight as well (same plane).

fti Jan 18, 2009 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by discstickers (Post 11099463)
I had it on my ATL-BUF-ATL flights last week. I bought it since I needed to check in (was on a same-day turn MR). It worked on the return flight as well (same plane).

I have done a MR with DL with a same-plane turnaround in SEA and just checked in at the gate when I arrived.

Same with three back-to-back MR flights into and out of YYZ earlier this month - just checked in once at my destination. One time we were over 6 hours late and I still could check in once I arrived.

Great that you were able to check in online but not sure that is necessary 99% of the time. I certainly would not pay for the over-priced wifi just to check in (but then I am very frugal).

discstickers Jan 18, 2009 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by fti (Post 11099493)
I have done a MR with DL with a same-plane turnaround in SEA and just checked in at the gate when I arrived.

Same with three back-to-back MR flights into and out of YYZ earlier this month - just checked in once at my destination. One time we were over 6 hours late and I still could check in once I arrived.

Great that you were able to check in online but not sure that is necessary 99% of the time. I certainly would not pay for the over-priced wifi just to check in (but then I am very frugal).

Ya, I just wanted an excuse to get the wifi :D

mesabadad Jan 18, 2009 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by indufan (Post 11099027)
Yep...and I haven't seen one yet either.

Flew ATL-JAX on 12/27 on MD88 with Wi-Fi. I thought it read somewhere it was going to be free until 1/1 but the FA didn't have any info on that. I was able to connect just fine and go to the free sites (DL.COM, etc.) without any problem. So the hardware worked fine, but the pricing, $12.95/day I think, is totally insane.

mersk862 Jan 18, 2009 7:52 pm

I was on a MD-88 MCO-BOS last month that had it.

TTT Jan 19, 2009 5:04 am

Originally Posted by mesabadad (Post 11100262)
Flew ATL-JAX on 12/27 on MD88 with Wi-Fi. I thought it read somewhere it was going to be free until 1/1 but the FA didn't have any info on that. I was able to connect just fine and go to the free sites (DL.COM, etc.) without any problem. So the hardware worked fine, but the pricing, $12.95/day I think, is totally insane.

DL.com is free? Do you recall the other free sites?

SFTNYC Jan 19, 2009 6:47 am

Most of the shuttle flights I've been on have featured it (hard to justify $9.95 for about 17-20 minutes of use), but none of the other MD88s I've taken have had it. I kind of enjoy the mandatory reading/personal time rather than being on the computer.

EasternTraveler Jan 19, 2009 10:17 am

I hope I don't see it anytime either.

feelthecool Jan 19, 2009 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by discstickers (Post 11099463)

I was able to connect just fine and go to the free sites (DL.COM, etc.)
:D