Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

In-Flight WiFi Internet Service Aboard Delta Air Lines Aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In-Flight WiFi Internet Service Aboard Delta Air Lines Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2009, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Plat, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by hur88
I don't know if this has been posted in any other thread, but it hasn't been posted here.
Last week there was a post on blog.delta.com regarding the status of installing WiFi on planes. The link is here:
http://blog.delta.com/2009/01/15/mod...wi-fi-updates/

According to the entry, they only had 11 planes equipped with WiFi as of last week. However, starting from Janurary 15th until the 3rd quarter 09, TechOps will be equipping planes with WiFi at a rate of around 10 planes a week.
I lucked out...WiFi was available on my ATL-BOS flight last Monday. But being without my laptop, I had no means to check it out. Besides, that's a relatively short flight, and I'd be much more interested in using it (and paying for it) on a transcon.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Silver, HH Silver, SPG Gold, BW Plat, Amex Plat
Here's a wacky idea. How about making sure all the IFE's work ALL THE TIME before implementing another technology?
Old Jan 21, 2009, 9:48 pm

Programs: Skymiles (Platinum)
Both of my flights had it first week of January, FLL-ATL and ATL-SFO. I checked out the free sites but I didn't really feel like coughing up $12.95 / flight. Yes, that's what the brochure said -- per flight not per day. I hope that's not correct.

There's a note on the delta blog from someone who claimed to have watched Hulu on their flight. I would be surprised if it worked for streaming video. The free sites I tried had a lot of latency and traffic was "bursty". I don't think you would get stable bandwidth once people start using it.

Someone earlier had a comment about internet sharing with a Mac. Yes, its easy to set up but you need two separate interfaces for it. One on which you get the internet (the default airport) and the other on which you share it. So you would need a second wifi adapter or would need to connect via Ethernet / Firewire to the second computer. Battery life will go for a toss.

If you have power outlets on the plane, an Airport Express would make an ideal portable router to share the connection. Linksys makes a portable router too. However, I suspect it won't be looked at too kindly :-)

Last edited by wanderenvy; Jan 21, 2009 at 10:12 pm
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:05 pm

Location: FLL. AA PLT 2.7MM, UA Gold MM, Delta Gold Medallion & Lifetime SC, Hilton GVIP, SGP, Hertz 5 Star
Either none of my DL flights has been fitted with working wi-fi yet (and I've been averaging 4-6 segments a week in 2009) or I just haven't been paying attention. I haven't seen a Gogo logo at any gate or on any plane yet.

And on the other subject, I agree with some previous posters... my Apple Powerbook has 2 relatively new (~ 18 mos) batteries and they run down at the rate of precisely 1% per minute - and always have - essentially regardless of energy settings in Prefs or what I'm doing (DVD mode or Excel). You can set your watch by it.

I'm one of those flyers who would absolutely make a flight selection based on the availability of in-seat power. (Which did me no good last week SFO-ATL, as my seat was the only one in BE that had a non-working outlet and cabin was full).
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:05 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by hur88
Most laptop models out there won't be able to last over 3 hours. What's the point of charging $12.95 for WiFi on flights of more than 3 hours if you can't even use it for more than 3 hours because your battery dies?
That's kinda like saying that most cars won't do 0-60 mph in under 6 seconds so it makes no sense to sell products designed for fast cars. Many laptops can last over three hours, but it usually requires a laptop geared towards that aim. With a decently new battery and proper configuration (don't use full brightness, plug in accessories, run unneeded services, etc.), you have many options. You could also bring a spare battery if you are so inclined. I get about 5 hours on my system when I bring my spare, and I'm using a big powerhouse that isn't meant for long life.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:52 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Originally Posted by thechosenuno
Perhaps it's time to get a new laptop? Or battery?
Some people are just luckier, I guess. My company issued me this HP 510 machine, brand-new, and the battery only lasted 45 mins when NEW. I have no intention to buy a spare battery out of pocket, nor to buy my own laptop.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:29 pm

There's 13 ship in the system (as of the last update from TechOps) that have GoGo on them.

MadDogs: 908, 947, 9008, 9009, 9010, 9011, 9012, 9013, 9014, 9015, 9017

752: 640, 692

You *should* be able to tell if your aircraft has WiFi by the presence of a card in the seatback pocket... but I've come across a few ships that had the cards and didn't have WiFi so YMMVG...
Old Feb 1, 2009, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I'm on DL1908 DEN-ATL on a 752, and we have wifi right now. So, I guess I got lucky in getting one of the two 752s.

Normal wifi bandwith, so really good performance and no connectivity issues that I've experienced. A positive experience thus far.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 8:20 pm

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mooper
That's kinda like saying that most cars won't do 0-60 mph in under 6 seconds so it makes no sense to sell products designed for fast cars. Many laptops can last over three hours, but it usually requires a laptop geared towards that aim. With a decently new battery and proper configuration (don't use full brightness, plug in accessories, run unneeded services, etc.), you have many options. You could also bring a spare battery if you are so inclined. I get about 5 hours on my system when I bring my spare, and I'm using a big powerhouse that isn't meant for long life.

My new $480 Samsung NC10 netbook gets about 6-7 hours of wifi surfing, weighs under 3 lbs. Perfect for this sort of thing...
Old Feb 8, 2009, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Herald Tribune article

"Not everyone cheers as Wi-Fi takes to the skies"

http://www.iht.com/articles/2009/02/...ss/07plane.php
Old Feb 9, 2009, 8:23 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by Jazzop
Some people are just luckier, I guess. My company issued me this HP 510 machine, brand-new, and the battery only lasted 45 mins when NEW. I have no intention to buy a spare battery out of pocket, nor to buy my own laptop.
You don't need to buy anything; contact HP to get a replacement (or have your IT dept do it). This type of poor battery performance should be covered under warranty; presuming that the laptop really is new and has a valid warranty (this model was released back in early 2007).
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:02 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, DL 0.8MM
Originally Posted by Jazzop
Am I the only one who sees the futility of WiFi service without electrical outlets? Sure, one could fiddle around on a handheld device for quite a while on battery power, but for serious work on a laptop, we need electricity. My laptop only lasts 20 mins on batteries (I realize this is low, but not many go more than an hour)
This is what those outlets on the mirror in the lavatories are for
Old Feb 9, 2009, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by skoker
There's 13 ship in the system (as of the last update from TechOps) that have GoGo on them.

MadDogs: 908, 947, 9008, 9009, 9010, 9011, 9012, 9013, 9014, 9015, 9017

752: 640, 692

You *should* be able to tell if your aircraft has WiFi by the presence of a card in the seatback pocket... but I've come across a few ships that had the cards and didn't have WiFi so YMMVG...
They are moving quickly at getting more planes with Wi-fi, although it is a large fleet. Today's update says 21 planes with wi-fi now.

The Latest Wings with Wi-Fi - Delta Air Lines Blog (2/9/09)
Old Feb 9, 2009, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
"Not everyone cheers as Wi-Fi takes to the skies"

http://www.iht.com/articles/2009/02/...ss/07plane.php
Boy there are some laughable lines in that literary piece of work.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 2:28 am

Programs: DL AA UA
Ok, I got a little geeky excited when last weekend, the GIDS display said my flight had wi-fi. So, after 10,000, I fire up the phone, and no wi-fi. So, I then power up the laptop to confirm, and still no wi-fi. I guess they must have known I was only going to check my DL account for free. FYI, it was a Mad Dog.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.