Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

In-Flight WiFi Internet Service Aboard Delta Air Lines Aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In-Flight WiFi Internet Service Aboard Delta Air Lines Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:23 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Am I the only one who sees the futility of WiFi service without electrical outlets? Sure, one could fiddle around on a handheld device for quite a while on battery power, but for serious work on a laptop, we need electricity. My laptop only lasts 20 mins on batteries (I realize this is low, but not many go more than an hour)
Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:26 pm

Although I agree power is necessary, many many many go more than an hour. Mine goes more than an hour and I consider that very low.

Edit: Also, does anyone know if this is MAC specific or how they are authenticating etc? I'd like to use my laptop for it's battery life, and then perhaps switch to my PDA?
Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by Jazzop
Am I the only one who sees the futility of WiFi service without electrical outlets? Sure, one could fiddle around on a handheld device for quite a while on battery power, but for serious work on a laptop, we need electricity. My laptop only lasts 20 mins on batteries (I realize this is low, but not many go more than an hour)
I think you need a new battery. All the laptops I've ever purchased for my organization or bought for personal use lasted at least 90 minutes (and that was from battery technology over 5 years ago). Newer battery design/capacity last 2 hours or more. Batteries do lose their charge and will degrade to a point where they need to be replaced (which I suspect is what you got). I also have an additional battery that let's me run about 6 hours between the two.

Bottome line, I see this as a great revenue generator and something to keep me busy.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:52 pm

I agree that the planes need to be equipped with outlets, especially if Delta wants to maximize revenue for the service.

Most laptop models out there won't be able to last over 3 hours.

What's the point of charging $12.95 for WiFi on flights of more than 3 hours if you can't even use it for more than 3 hours because your battery dies?

Last edited by hur88; Jan 19, 2009 at 7:58 pm
Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Seriously? My laptop goes over 3, and I have an optional second battery that goes in the CD slot that get's me almost 7.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hur88
I agree that the planes need to be equipped with outlets, especially if Delta wants to maximize revenue for the service.

Most laptop models out there won't be able to last over 3 hours.

What's the point of charging $12.95 for WiFi on flights of more than 3 hours if you can't even use it for more than 3 hours because your battery dies?
The laptop business could use a boost from people getting new machines to take advantage of airborne wifi. ThinkPad and Toshiba owners don't worry about battery power giving out on a three hour flight.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by fredpeckville
Although I agree power is necessary, many many many go more than an hour. Mine goes more than an hour and I consider that very low.

Edit: Also, does anyone know if this is MAC specific or how they are authenticating etc? I'd like to use my laptop for it's battery life, and then perhaps switch to my PDA?
I wonder if some enterprising manufacturer will realize that the introduction of wifi on planes is a great opportunity to sell a battery powered travel router so people traveling in groups only have to pay once?

As present it should be possible to do connection sharing with a laptop. IIRC Mac OS X makes this pretty easy.

(Not saying either of these things is necessarily ethical, only that they are possible...)
Old Jan 19, 2009, 9:32 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Yeowza. I agree, I think it's time for a new battery. I've got an 18 month old MacBook Pro and the battery still runs about 3-3.5 hours if I have the display brightness turned down and am only working on documents.

If I try to edit photos (usually about 1400-2000 at a time) or do anything that taxes the graphics card then I drop down to about 90 minutes.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by photojojo
Yeowza. I agree, I think it's time for a new battery. I've got an 18 month old MacBook Pro and the battery still runs about 3-3.5 hours if I have the display brightness turned down and am only working on documents.

If I try to edit photos (usually about 1400-2000 at a time) or do anything that taxes the graphics card then I drop down to about 90 minutes.
Assuming people who buy inflight WiFi actually browse the internet, the battery life of their laptops would be even less considering the extra battery consumption the WiFi radios in laptops use. Hopefully this dawns on someone in Delta and there could possibly be a refit of planes to modify seats to have an outlet somewhere.

The internet is the future, and is becoming more and more essential for frequent travelers, so this has to happen sooner or later.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:55 pm

Programs: Delta PM/CRC/AMEX
I have yet to fly on a Delta plane with WiFi.......

i had wifi on a flight from LEX-ATL. didn't pay for it b/c the flight was only one hour, but the fact that you could search the delta website for free was great. if you had a connection, you could see if your flight was on time and even look at gate information. they probably should have announced the plane was wifi equipped, as it was apparent not everyone realized this. there is a small logo on the door of the plane that says wifi, but other than that it's not clear unless you have your computer open and it automatically detects the signal.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you just happen to frequent LAX-JFK and find wifi reliably on one of twelve AA 767-200s, good for you.
It's installed on all AA 767-200s on AA ( and has been for a while) and has worked every time I've flown them since Aug.

However, I really don't see the pricing model working out on shot halls. Makes sense on a 5 to 6 hour flight where you have work to get done or simply to entertian yourself. Not sure it will fly where the price is woth it on a flight under 2 horus. Even I can amuse myself with other things for such a short flight.

Unfornately, this has the potential to become the next Airphone since it does not work on international flights.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 4:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, Delta Reserve, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
I hope I don't see it anytime either.
That's right, because if it's available Delta will force you to use it or throw you off the plane, mid flight.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 5:13 pm

I don't know if this has been posted in any other thread, but it hasn't been posted here.
Last week there was a post on blog.delta.com regarding the status of installing WiFi on planes. The link is here:
http://blog.delta.com/2009/01/15/mod...wi-fi-updates/

According to the entry, they only had 11 planes equipped with WiFi as of last week. However, starting from Janurary 15th until the 3rd quarter 09, TechOps will be equipping planes with WiFi at a rate of around 10 planes a week.

I would think that's a pretty good rate of installing the system, so hopefully more flights with WiFi will begin to show up.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 12:04 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
Perhaps it's time to get a new laptop? Or battery?

MSY-LGA earlier this week and had the wifi. It was great (but better deals are had on AA's transcons with gogo given the length of flight). My battery on my two year old laptop lasted the entire flight (and then some).
Old Jan 21, 2009, 8:08 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

RealDLInsider - WIFI

-- We still only have a handful of aircraft with WIFI onboard, but the ramp-up of aircraft is pretty quick. I believe we will have a couple hundred aircraft installed by the end of this year! I fly quite a bit and haven't hit it yet, so I'm also looking forward to this upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.