Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

In-Flight WiFi Internet Service Aboard Delta Air Lines Aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In-Flight WiFi Internet Service Aboard Delta Air Lines Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, UA GOLD, HERTZ #1 GOLD, STRWD PLAT
I was on an MD90 a few days ago, CVG-LGA, and gogo was not working. So, there must be some issues.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: DL Gold Hopefully be DL nothing in 1 more year / Hertz Something / Hilton Honors Diamond
Not sure if those aircraft have been fitted yet, but has anybody tried this on the ATL-HNL or LAX to HNL yet?
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by amps
Not sure if those aircraft have been fitted yet, but has anybody tried this on the ATL-HNL or LAX to HNL yet?
It is a cell-based system and only covers the continental US.

http://www.gogoinflight.com/jahia/Ja...go/coveragemap
Old Jun 19, 2009, 5:17 am

Programs: DL-DM, Marriott-Plat Premier, Starwood-Plat, Sky Club, NCR Exec
GOGO in flight service

Does anyone else find it odd that the in flight internet was first installed on the equipment that makes the shortest routes? My short flights on the MD88/90 have Wi-Fi of which I don't have time to use (and justify the fee). However, ATL to SFO on the 767 or 757 do not have the service yet. Seems backwards to me.

Also, I am hoping that GM's and PM's are offered a discounted annual fee (maybe as an upsell to a CRC membership) with unlimited use.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 5:35 am

I have yet to figure out why it is NOT available on International flights. I assume the Satellite must be the issue?
Old Jun 19, 2009, 5:46 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by jr1202sr
I have yet to figure out why it is NOT available on International flights. I assume the Satellite must be the issue?
That is my understanding that the satellite is geosynchronous over the USA.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 5:52 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The in flight internet uses towers on the ground to communicate and no satellites are used.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 5:53 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by uva185
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The in flight internet uses towers on the ground to communicate and no satellites are used.
Thanks for the explanation
Old Jun 19, 2009, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by uva185

Exactly, it is cell-based and not a satellite sytem. This is why the service is relatively cheap (and only available in the Continental US).
Old Jun 19, 2009, 7:47 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I agree the in-flight internet service should have been installed on the transcon flights first (esp. the premium routes JFK-SFO, LAX, SEA, PDX, LAS, PHX, DEN), but I guess Delta found some reason to do the MD-88s and MD-90s as a higher priority: maybe because it's technically easier, or the 757s travel out of the CONUS a lot. I'm sure by next year when the whole domestic fleet (sans NW) has been installed, this will be moot.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
I agree the in-flight internet service should have been installed on the transcon flights first (esp. the premium routes JFK-SFO, LAX, SEA, PDX, LAS, PHX, DEN), but I guess Delta found some reason to do the MD-88s and MD-90s as a higher priority: maybe because it's technically easier, or the 757s travel out of the CONUS a lot. I'm sure by next year when the whole domestic fleet (sans NW) has been installed, this will be moot.
I think the theory was because the MDs have no of IFE so the internet could be used as a substitute.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:04 am

Programs: DL, HH
I read (here, on airliners.net, or the DL blog) that an MD-88/-90 can be done on an overnight maintenance stop but the installation on the other aircraft in the fleet require more time to complete the installation.

I'm glad it's on the MD-88s; it gives me something to do while holding to get into Newark.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:07 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
I am not 100% certain but believe that AA received the 1st STC from the FAA for their wifi MDXX which may have made it more attracticve for DL to do the MD first (cheaper to follow in their footsteps). Don't know who completed the 1st 757 STC. DL has done 1 737 and is waiting STC for that type any day now before starting on that type in earnest. They are doing 7 - 10 757 upgrades per week.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:32 am

Programs: DL DM&MM, PC PM, MR LTP, HH DM
Originally Posted by aclc
My short flights on the MD88/90 have Wi-Fi of which I don't have time to use (and justify the fee).
I agree, $10 for a 2 hour flight (with only 1 hr avail window) is hard to really hard for me to justify. And right now with me being pi**y about DL I'm not flying them enough to justify the $50 Monthly charge.

I'm a MM PM and I haven't been offered any kind of discount. But again, I'm mad at Delta over their attitude to PM's and I'm pushing my US miles (Chairman Member already). I'm considering the GOGO as a good reason to return to DL but not at those rates.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:18 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Originally Posted by browell
I agree, $10 for a 2 hour flight (with only 1 hr avail window) is hard to really hard for me to justify. And right now with me being pi**y about DL I'm not flying them enough to justify the $50 Monthly charge.

I'm a MM PM and I haven't been offered any kind of discount. ... I'm considering the GOGO as a good reason to return to DL but not at those rates.
Keep in mind that this service is provided for, and billed by Aircell/GoGo. So the chance that DL will offer a long term discount for MM/PM/GM/SkyClub is slim.

I am sure they receive a (small) portion of the revenue but any discount would likely wipe that out so they might target high revenue (tier 4???) elites with some kind of discount but anything else is unlikely. Once a competitor offers it free, then they will be motivated to negotiate something with Aircell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.