Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Long Layover at Atlanta (ATL): What to Do? Where to Eat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long Layover at Atlanta (ATL): What to Do? Where to Eat?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2012, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by charms81
Wirelessly posted (Galaxy S2: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; SGH-T989 Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Enough for a meal, tight if you want to savor a wine or two. After all it is a restaurant right there, so you can establish a cut off and adhere to it. If it gets late, you can always get up a leave. But 1 hour for a meal at OFS is enough.
Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply! I figured the servers would be used to people scooting off for flights, but nice to have the FT reassurance.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL GM
A 2 hr layover is plenty of time for OFS. I've never had my food take more than 15 minutes from the time I walk in the restaurant. One time, I saw that I had a gate change from E to T, cutting short the dessert I had just ordered. I asked the waitress to hurry it up and put it in a to-go container. I was all paid up and dessert in hand within 4 minutes. The staff is great about time constraints. Enjoy!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by chiefkays
A 2 hr layover is plenty of time for OFS. I've never had my food take more than 15 minutes from the time I walk in the restaurant. One time, I saw that I had a gate change from E to T, cutting short the dessert I had just ordered. I asked the waitress to hurry it up and put it in a to-go container. I was all paid up and dessert in hand within 4 minutes. The staff is great about time constraints. Enjoy!
My great experience with them as well.

Just let the server or host/hostess know that you have a flight and they will work to accommodate your time. I had wine served immediately and then my two choices were presented along with the check so I can make a speedy exit.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by tentseller
My great experience with them as well.

Just let the server or host/hostess know that you have a flight and they will work to accommodate your time. I had wine served immediately and then my two choices were presented along with the check so I can make a speedy exit.
Thanks everyone. We ended up hopping on an earlier flight into ATL, so had a longer layover and plenty of time to lounge around even after our meal.

One note for future reference - even if you have longer, it might help to tell your server that you do have a flight at X time, or even just say when you'd like to be done at the restaurant.

We went in and told them something like, "Oh, we've got plenty of time." Which ended up being code for we got served last while they tended to other tables first. I didn't particularly mind, since we really didn't have anywhere to be but the Sky Club and I did notice them get several folks in and out very, very quickly, but it did mean we had to wait a few minutes longer for everything to come out. For example, we asked for our check, and I noticed that the server ran back and forth to take care of several other requests for a few minutes, and only after another couple tables also were ready for their checks did he print ours while he was already at the register.

Again, not an issue, and I'm sure this helps the servers prioritize those who need to dine more quickly, but just an observation.

In other news, the food was excellent!
Old Dec 25, 2012, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1.1MM
Where to eat in Atlanta?

Hi there,

I am looking at a 5+ hour layover (4pm--10pm) in ATL tomorrow. Since we know the SC will not suffice for dinner, where should I eat? pre-/post-security is fine since I'll be *gasp* checking my bags and will have nothing but a small carry on.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 8:35 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

One Flew South would be your best bet — unless you are seeking a more casual dining experience...
Old Dec 25, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Not even really worth the 20-30 replies that are going to follow saying the same thing; it really is the only decent option in ATL. I find the new choices in F really disappointing.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Not even really worth the 20-30 replies that are going to follow saying the same thing
I think this is the one subject that pretty much everyone on this board will agree on.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I agree with the above having just eaten there twice in the past 2 and a half weeks. But be warned, they know they're the only decent restaurant in the airport and will charge you through the nose for it. Also they will automatically add an 18% gratuity to your bill. The service and food were both decent though.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by Orion316
Hi there,

I am looking at a 5+ hour layover (4pm--10pm) in ATL tomorrow. Since we know the SC will not suffice for dinner, where should I eat? pre-/post-security is fine since I'll be *gasp* checking my bags and will have nothing but a small carry on.
I would take Marta to Midtown (10th st) or Arts Center. Lots of good restaurants, depending on budget and taste. I like South City Kitchen and Lure on Crescent Ave (arts center) or for funky, Flying Biscuit at 10th and Juniper (midtown).
Old Dec 25, 2012, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Canarsie
One Flew South.
Not even really worth the 20-30 replies that are going to follow saying the same thing; it really is the only decent option in ATL. I find the new choices in F really disappointing.
+1 to both points...VERY disappointed with Term F choices.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 9:05 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
For quick/affordable/healthy....you can't beat Nature's Bistro in the E food court.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Smyrnaflyer
Hi there,

I would take Marta to Midtown (10th st) or Arts Center. Lots of good restaurants, depending on budget and taste. I like South City Kitchen and Lure on Crescent Ave (arts center) or for funky, Flying Biscuit at 10th and Juniper (midtown).
How long round trip? OP has a 5 hour layover, I have a 3 hour coming in from int'l (though I have global entry). I am assuming I shouldn't try this?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1.1MM
Thanks everyone! Didn't expect so many consistent replies so quickly!!
Old Dec 25, 2012, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Thanks everyone! Didn't expect so many consistent replies so quickly!!
For me, Chilis sampler, skyclub next to it, and Xpress Spa all in once place! Enjoy! (join thanksagain btw)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.