Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Long Layover at Atlanta (ATL): What to Do? Where to Eat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long Layover at Atlanta (ATL): What to Do? Where to Eat?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2012, 9:45 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Smyrnaflyer
I would take Marta to Midtown (10th st) or Arts Center. Lots of good restaurants, depending on budget and taste. I like South City Kitchen and Lure on Crescent Ave (arts center) or for funky, Flying Biscuit at 10th and Juniper (midtown).
I would highly recommend Prime at Lenox Mall if one is to leave the airport to eat. The Buckhead MARTA station on the Red line and the Lenox MARTA station on the Gold line are just a few blocks from the mall on Peachtree Road.

I personally know it is a favorite amongst dozens of FlyerTalk members. The food, service and ambiance is consistently very good to excellent. The prices are not unreasonable, and it is a white tablecloth restaurant but you can wear jeans with no problem.

Highly recommended as well is that you get there between 4:15 and 6:00 in the evening, and select steaks are half price — well worth it. Neither I nor anyone else with whom I have dined there has ever been disappointed.

If you still have time to kill after your dining experience at Prime — which can easily be less than two hours, especially in the early afternoon during the time when you can get steaks at half price — you are already in Lenox Mall and can either window shop, watch people by the fountain on the floor below Prime, or actually do some shopping.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Where to eat in Atlanta?

Is OFS the kind of place you just shouldn't miss? It is it simply the best option in an otherwise food wasteland?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by hockeystl
For quick/affordable/healthy....you can't beat Nature's Bistro in the E food court.
Heartily agree!
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:53 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by HongKonger
How long round trip? OP has a 5 hour layover, I have a 3 hour coming in from int'l (though I have global entry). I am assuming I shouldn't try this?
The ride itself is approximately 20 minutes each way.
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I would highly recommend Prime at Lenox Mall if one is to leave the airport to eat. The Buckhead MARTA station on the Red line and the Lenox MARTA station on the Gold line are just a few blocks from the mall on Peachtree Road.
The ride itself is approximately 30 minutes each way.
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Is OFS the kind of place you just shouldn't miss? It is it simply the best option in an otherwise food wasteland?
You should try it at least once, but I would not say that you should not miss it.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 5:18 am

Programs: AA EXP/AAIRPASS 2MM, UA 1K, SPG PLT
Where to eat in Atlanta?

Not to beat a dead horse, but OFS is the only option at ATL worth talking about. I'd recommend to sit at the bar (hopefully Tiffanie or Jay are manning the post) and go for one of these two options: turkey and arugula sandwich (with bacon) or the "dirty south" (not on the menu but the best dish you've never heard of).
Old Dec 26, 2012, 5:47 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by travelsensei
Not to beat a dead horse, but OFS is the only option at ATL worth talking about. I'd recommend to sit at the bar (hopefully Tiffanie or Jay are manning the post) and go for one of these two options: turkey and arugula sandwich (with bacon) or the "dirty south" (not on the menu but the best dish you've never heard of).
OK, you peaked my interest...... What is the Dirty South?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 7:06 am

Programs: AA EXP/AAIRPASS 2MM, UA 1K, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
It's meatloaf, bacon, egg and a few other goodies I can't remember, served on Texas Toast. It's plated in a dish since it's impossible to eat as a sandwich. I have to admit that on paper it probably doesn't sound great, but I can assure you it's outstanding.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 7:13 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
It's meatloaf, bacon, egg and a few other goodies I can't remember, served on Texas Toast. It's plated in a dish since it's impossible to eat as a sandwich. I have to admit that on paper it probably doesn't sound great, but I can assure you it's outstanding.
Sounds interesting.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
You had me at meatloaf.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: AS, DL GM, AA, HH Plat, IHG
Does it come with a discount coupon for the postprandial angioplasty?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: DL KM (charter)
Although it is not as good as the original next to Georgia Tech, you can always head over to F to experience The Varsity.

"Whattaya have?"
Old Dec 26, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Platinum
While OFS is a fine choice I'd note that they will get you in and out quickly unless you tell them to slow the service down. You might find yourself with most of you layover still to kill if you're not careful.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
OFS is second or third top airport airside restaurants in the US and was on the world wide top 25 list.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
As noted above, you should be able to make it to Midtown and back on Marta and have a nice meal. Nan (Thai) and Park 75 (in the Four Seasons) are expensive but you will have a fantastic meal at either.

Prime at Lenox is also excellent, as someone recommended above, but you'll go even farther north on the train to get there.

If you're nervous about how long the Marta train ride might take, or if you find yourself with a shorter layover in Atlanta on a future trip, you should try the Feed Store in College Park. It's a short cab ride away from the airport and is the best food I can think of without going all the way to midtown.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 2:08 pm

Michon's Smoked Meats

For something more casual than OFS and closer than the restaurants in Midtown, I'm a fan of Michon's Smoked Meats. It specializes in barbecue and comfort food, but it's no hole-in-the-wall BBQ shack. Instead, it has more of a jazz/supper club ambiance. It's on Virginia Ave. less than 5 minutes from the airport. Try the smoked wings. I see some mixed reviews online, but I enjoyed it when I went back last month.

http://www.michons.com/

Tip: Arrange for your taxi driver to come back for you, or Michon's call a cab to take you back to the airport in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.