Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Long Layover at Atlanta (ATL): What to Do? Where to Eat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long Layover at Atlanta (ATL): What to Do? Where to Eat?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:47 am

Some great suggestions here, thanks!

Looks like it will be have to be either One Flew South or Varsity, although the food court sounds pretty good too!
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by dcline414
I would definitely go for the Varsity... it's where President Obama eats when he's in town. I also recently learned that they charge the same prices at the airport as they do at their other non-airport locations, which is quite reasonable.

A couple of chili dogs and fries or onion rings will not disappoint, especially when washed down with a Varsity Orange (or frosted orange)!
Kudos to the Varsity for not gouging airport customers with inflated prices. It's a good (greasy, heart-attach inducing) guilty pleasure that everyone has to try at least once in his/her life.

The only disappointment will be coming from whoever you sit next to for the next 3 hours.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: DL DM/1M, AA Gold, Hilton LTD
Originally Posted by jeff30189
Kudos to the Varsity for not gouging airport customers with inflated prices.

It's a good (greasy, heart-attach inducing) guilty pleasure that everyone has to try at least once in his/her life.
ATL is good for that at all the fast food joints; Chick-Fil-A and Burger King seem to be less expensive than back home in South Florida. Hearing there's a Varsity gives me a reason to visit the International Terminal on a long layover...
Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I see recommendations for chili dogs, but the signature item is the "slaw dog" (hot dog+coleslaw)...Their fried pies are also very good...Onion rings are awesome...Frosted Orange is my favorite item...

If you do CFA ask for the Chick-Fil-A Sauce...great on anything...fries, nuggets, sandwiches...ANYTHING
Old Aug 4, 2012, 11:52 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Dinner options at ATL before late evening trans-Atlantic flight?

I'll be on a late flight form ATL (leaving 10.45pm) and would like to have dinner on the ground rather than on the plane. Flight leaves from the International concourse (most probably).

Is there a proper restaurant ("proper" meaning not a foodcourt self service or junk food, but a real restaurant with waiter service) in the airport or close to the airport, preferably with a view of the tarmac? Having a great steak with a view on the planes would be nice.

Thanks
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:51 am
Suspended

You could try "One Flew South" at terminal E. http://www.oneflewsouthatl.com/

Menu: http://www.oneflewsouthatl.com/menus/ofs_menu-food.pdf
Old Aug 5, 2012, 6:14 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Does anyone know when the Sbarro in Terminal B turned into a weird, fake Sbarro-but-in-name-only?
Old Aug 5, 2012, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
There's a restaurant in Terminal E in the center area (the food court's on the left, it's on the right). I haven't eaten there but the menu looks pretty good for airport food. Crab cakes and steaks and such, not too expensive. Good bar.

Several Chick-Fil-As, and at least one Atlanta Bread Company. Chili's in Terminal A.
With their stance on gay people I don't know if that's the best restaurant to support.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:32 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Just a note...

Considering the ATL food concessions were recently re-bid, many of the outlets mentioned in this thread are no longer in place. Thus the pitfalls of resurrecting a dormant thread. Keep this in mind if you scroll back to advice posted more than a few months ago.

AAEXP09, as much as I concur with your position, we've already had threads moved to OMNI due to the CFA debate. Let's try to keep this one from going there.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: DL DM PM
One Flew South is the only place to eat properly in Atlanta, with good food and service, and quiet atmosphere. I always skip the onboard meal in favor of this.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
One Flew South is the only place to eat properly in Atlanta, with good food and service, and quiet atmosphere. I always skip the onboard meal in favor of this.
So Panda Express, Q-Doba, Popeye's, TGI Fridays, Chili's, and others aren't proper restaurants? While not fine dining, they're all more than adequate for airport food. One Flew South is definitely good though, but I'd go broke fast if that was the only place in ATL that I ever ate!

Also, Sweetwater in B has local craft beer. Even if the food is generic and boring, craft beer always wins.

EDIT: I just saw the post above defining "proper". Using his definition, I agree with you, One Flew South is the only "proper" restaurant in ATL.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Yes, I was answering his post about proper dining.

p.s. OFS has Sweetwater beer too, so you can get your good food AND your craft beer in one sitting! Going broke is an issue, though.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
Yes, I was answering his post about proper dining.

p.s. OFS has Sweetwater beer too, so you can get your good food AND your craft beer in one sitting! Going broke is an issue, though.
Also an impressive wine list for an airport restaurant!
Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I like the On The Border in Concourse T, but then again I'm pretty easy to please, especially when it comes to cheap Mexican food.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:30 am

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, Hilton Diamond, ICH Platinum
Originally Posted by CMK10
I like the On The Border in Concourse T, but then again I'm pretty easy to please, especially when it comes to cheap Mexican food.
No go CMK10. I guess you have not eaten your good cheap Mexican food at ATL lately. OTB has been gone for a few months at least!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.