Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Long Layover at Atlanta (ATL): What to Do? Where to Eat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long Layover at Atlanta (ATL): What to Do? Where to Eat?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
I like the Sweetwater IPA. The 420 is fine if that's all you can get...but I prefer the hoppier beers.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: I don't travel anymore
Originally Posted by MissJ
I grabbed some food at Sweetwater not too long ago because I was running really late for my flight and not upgraded. That's a mistake I'll never make again. I very rarely eat at ATL since it's my home airport but if something ever happens and I need food in the airport again... oh no, not there. Got and burger to go and ate maybe 1/4 of it.

I do love OFS though. I've had dinner with friends and family on layovers and meetups before there.

So when will you be there?
I'll be there a week from tomorrow - August 1
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:29 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
When I arrived at ATL after a year-long tour in Bosnia (during the war there) on my way to Fort Benning, I went directly to the Krystal in Terminal A. I had been dreaming about Krystal burgers for months. I ate about 15 or so, and felt I was back in the States! It was a very welcome homecoming, not like when coming back from Viet Nam.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: I don't travel anymore
Originally Posted by relangford
When I arrived at ATL after a year-long tour in Bosnia (during the war there) on my way to Fort Benning, I went directly to the Krystal in Terminal A. I had been dreaming about Krystal burgers for months. I ate about 15 or so, and felt I was back in the States! It was a very welcome homecoming, not like when coming back from Viet Nam.
Haha Krystal = the South for me. I have to admit, I partake from time to time when I'm at ATL.

Now, if they just had a Waffle House...
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by tristar76

One place where Kettle's have more status than us...LMAO!
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:17 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Haha Krystal = the South for me. I have to admit, I partake from time to time when I'm at ATL.

They do have the brand new "Das Waffle Haus and Pub". That's the same, right?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: DL (ex-NW) Plat pining for self-serve WC's and real cheese
OFS

So I've read a lot of good things about One Flew South in this and other similar threads. How long a layover would one need to hit this place up for a meal while transiting through ATL? Thanks.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:10 am
Used to be hamajicky

Originally Posted by DCAflyer81
So I've read a lot of good things about One Flew South in this and other similar threads. How long a layover would one need to hit this place up for a meal while transiting through ATL? Thanks.
it all depends on what concourse you arrive in, and what concourse you are departing from. If you land in concourse A and depart from concourse A, it might could be done with a 90 minute layover--less if your travel time on the plane train is shorter. for instance, if you are in and out of E, an hour should do it.

OFS is good about getting people in and out, although a lot of tables are taken up by people with long layovers who are killing time.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL AA UA

The Varsity in F might be a good choice for you.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DCAflyer81
I usually plan a minimum of 40 minutes to be sitting and actually eating/drinking at the restaurant, but I don't like having to rush through a meal. About 15-25 minutes round trip from T/A/B to E, and maybe an additional 10 minutes of gate/restaurant to train walking time. Can comfortably be accomplished with a layover of 1h45m in my opinion, maybe 90m if rushed a bit. If you're in/out of E you could pretty easily do it with less than 90 minutes.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
If you are looking for something quick but really excellent, LowCountry in Concourse A is awesome. It's located in the food court in the middle of the concourse, but the food isn't your typical food court fare. The green beans are the best anywhere, the collard greens couldn't be any better, the pork entrees are really good, the roasted chicken is to die for, the mac and cheese is incredible, and I could go on and on... http://www.lowcountry-restaurants.com

Dare I say, at the risk of being flamed by the One Flew South fans, that this is now the best restaurant in ATL airport.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Now you can partake in 5 Guys Burgers as one just opened on concourse D.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by ADLFO
The Varsity in F might be a good choice for you.
Is there really a Varsity in F? I've never been to the original but always wanted to try it.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by elitefreak
Is there really a Varsity in F? I've never been to the original but always wanted to try it.
Yes, but warning: The Frosted Orange isn't made onsite. It's trucked in already in the cups.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Yes, but warning: The Frosted Orange isn't made onsite. It's trucked in already in the cups.
That makes it sound FAR less appealing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.