Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Long Layover at Atlanta (ATL): What to Do? Where to Eat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long Layover at Atlanta (ATL): What to Do? Where to Eat?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2013, 1:33 am

Programs: Delta PM
I'm doing a quasi-MR to LIM and plan to spend my ~11-hr layover in ATL visiting the Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site. I'll be taking the MARTA from the airport to King Memorial station.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Had something like this on an HNL-ATL-CDG itinerary a few years back... took MARTA up to the stop for the Lenox Square Mall to get my laptop some TLC at the Apple Store and grab some Chick-fil-A (since it couldn't be gotten in Honolulu or Paris). Spent the rest of the time lounging.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 7:29 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Don't forget to make a stop at the Varsity. Be sure to stop by the bathroom long before you get back on the plane, other your neighbors might not be too happy with ya.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by mr_burdell
If you're looking for some good food, I recommend MARTA to the 10th St Midtown station and stop by Empire State South (1 block east). They're open for breakfast/lunch/dinner and it's at least as good as One Flew South.
Another vote for ESS, and OP could kill some time walking/browsing shops in Midtown if it's a nice day. Hugh Acheson, the restaurant's owner, is participating in Delta's "Cabin Pressure Cookoff" competition:

Delta Air Lines is partnering with FOOD & WINE to create an original culinary competition video series, called "The Cabin Pressure Cook Off," to find its newest chef. The winning chef will consult with Delta on menus for flights departing Atlanta. Full story: http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=2053

As others said, Aquarium/World of Coca-Cola/CNN studios are good for a few hours. For MARTA, I would get off at Peachtree Center and walk the last few blocks. Depending on the time/day of the week, it could take longer navigating the Five Points station to the East-West line & waiting for a connecting train to go one stop than it could take to walk.

http://itsmarta.com/ has pretty good information about what's around the various stops, walking directions to attractions, etc.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
Thanks for the replies thus far! This info has been more than helpful
Old Aug 27, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Keep in mind there's no luggage storage in the airport. I suggest either packing light or checking your bag through so you don't have to drag it all around the city!
Old Aug 27, 2013, 5:23 pm

You can go to the Delta Museum (or is it being renovated ??) If it is open,call head and give them your name and dates for security. You'll need to cab it or get a rental.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by United_727
You can go to the Delta Museum (or is it being renovated ??) If it is open,call head and give them your name and dates for security. You'll need to cab it or get a rental.
Hangar 2 (which contains the Spirit and is the better of the 2 IMO) is currently closed for renovations, and I'm not sure how much is open in Hangar 1 either. More info here: http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43..._130729_museum
Old Aug 27, 2013, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets
Hangar 2 (which contains the Spirit and is the better of the 2 IMO) is currently closed for renovations, and I'm not sure how much is open in Hangar 1 either. More info here: http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43..._130729_museum
I loved the Delta museum , looking forward to its re-opening
Old Aug 27, 2013, 7:10 pm

i spent about 6 hours there the other week due to a delayed flight..
walked from terminal A to terminal f... skipped the train....
walked around the international terminal... all my travel is from CMH -DTW/ATL/LGA -RIC and occasionally (once or twice a year) to the west coast for fun. i dont get quite as many opportunites to see larger planes (747/777/767330's/planes from other carriers) so i like to walk around and check to see what wideboy jets are around and take pics.
my dad is a huge plane enthusiast but rarely gets to travel so i always send him pics....
I sat in the skyclub for a little and did some work. But i think trying to hit all the skyclubs and have a drink or something at each one would def. pass some time.... and no train... have to walk the whole way... grab some food... and do some work...
i also like using a couple apps flightboard and flightradar24 just to see where planes are and what may be in the airport where im at... and of course reading flyertalk!
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by supergriff34
...... and of course reading flyertalk!
That's 6 hours on its own..
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I do not wish to appear a tight wad/tight fisted, but in ATL Saturday afternoon. Was going to eat at One Flew South. I know it will not be cheap - but what sort of price are we talking?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:22 pm
Used to be hamajicky

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I do not wish to appear a tight wad/tight fisted, but in ATL Saturday afternoon. Was going to eat at One Flew South. I know it will not be cheap - but what sort of price are we talking?
Menus with prices are online:
http://www.oneflewsouthatl.com/foodanddrink.html
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Chalky White
Thanks - I feel an idiot - I just googled it - but thanks for your help. ^

Prices do not seem too bad at all. The Antipasto appetizer looks really good.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Nov 14, 2013 at 3:34 pm
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Thanks - I feel an idiot - I just googled it - but thanks for your help. ^

Prices do not seem too bad at all. The Antipasto appetizer looks really good.
Like most places, the booze really drives the price up. If you stay away from it, and it's hard not to there since their mixologist is killer, then it's not horrifically expensive.

I won't eat anywhere else at ATL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.