Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Significant points at which to start in this discussion:

Print Wikipost

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by malkitsingh
Problem is that I don't know whether I will fly another 6k miles this year or not... A lot of my flying is done earlier on in the year for some reason (travel budgets).
I would seriously consider not bothering. If you don't make it to Platinum you'll have 19000 miles roll over to next year so it's not like you will lose them. I guess the question is is PM worth the extra cost to you over GM? I haven't been convinced the PM bennies are worth that much more to me personally, but everyone values different perks differently.

If you're not going to be traveling as much next year, I would definitely just let the miles roll over to help you qualify GM again since GM is a huge step above FO.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Frequent Miler
There's a sign up offer for the Delta Platinum card that gives a 10k MQM bonus. If you already have a personal Delta card you can still get this bonus by applying for the business version of the card
Is this still current? I thought it expired a while ago. If current, do you have a link?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist;Bonvoy Lifetime Titan ; Hilton DIA (amex); AA Plat
would be interested in that link also.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by mudpuppy
I would seriously consider not bothering. If you don't make it to Platinum you'll have 19000 miles roll over to next year so it's not like you will lose them. I guess the question is is PM worth the extra cost to you over GM? I haven't been convinced the PM bennies are worth that much more to me personally, but everyone values different perks differently.

If you're not going to be traveling as much next year, I would definitely just let the miles roll over to help you qualify GM again since GM is a huge step above FO.
So far this year free redeposit of awards has saved $300! To me that is a valuable perk. Also, I take the 20,000 mile bonus offer and that is worth another $200 to $300.

That said, I agree that Gold is way better than FO and if predicted travel in 2013 will not get gold without the roll-over, I'd play it safe and skip Platinum.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
Is this still current? I thought it expired a while ago. If current, do you have a link?
Sorry, my mistake. It is down to 5k MQMs
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:30 am

PM?

I am currently a GM, and have earned 17k MQMs, including rollovers, this year. Do I only need another 8k to become PM this year, or do I revert back to FO next year if I get the 8k miles this year? Please advise. Thanks.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:33 am

I am currently a GM, and have earned 17k MQMs, including rollovers, this year. Do I only need another 8k to become PM this year, or do I revert back to FO next year if I get the 8k miles this year? Please advise. Thanks.
If you earn another 8k miles, you will revert to FO. Status for the next year is determined solely based on your mileage accrual for the current year.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Frequent Miler:18937738
Originally Posted by gooselee
Sorry, my mistake. It is down to 5k MQMs
Ah, no worries! I just booked a segment run to hit FO before some leisure trips anyway, so my MQM chase will mellow out until next year.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Keep in mind that if you do not reach 25,000 MQMs this year, you will not keep any rollover MQMs. They disappear if you don't get to a medallion level.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 6:57 pm

This year's status of GM was determined last year. You started at 0 + rollover. To reach PM this year (and next as well) you need 75,000 miles less the 17,000 you have. Unless you get 8,000 more next year you will be a "Kettle" and have no status.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:50 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles (SM, 1MM) Marriott Rewards (Lifetime Gold), HHonors (Lifetime Diamond)
Mileage run search

Ok so at this moment I think I'm going to come up about 10K MQM short of re-achieving gold by the end of the year.

Is there any magic way to search for the lowest-cost, longest mileage trip?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Have you checked the MR forum? Where are you based?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 2:01 pm
Suspended

SIN

Did home-ATL-NRT-SIN, return not long ago and got about 20K MQMs for .7 cents per mile.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Got an email from Delta today saying I could transfer miles for $150 per 30k miles. My wife has roughly 100k miles but no status. I am a Platinum, at least for now. I am thinking of moving as many of hers over as possible. Thoughts?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
Did home-ATL-NRT-SIN, return not long ago and got about 20K MQMs for .7 cents per mile.
Did you miss a decimal point or did you really get a (non-tricked) fare for ~$140?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.