Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Significant points at which to start in this discussion:

Print Wikipost

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2012, 5:31 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
550 MQM from Requal Silver: Ideas

DL WILL NOT give you status even if you are only 1 MQM short, nor will you roll any MQM over if you fall short of silver. There are lots of MRs as suggested in this thread. You wrote you were looking to fly to hubs but that is the wrong place to be looking. Flying to hubs is often more expensive. you can buy MQMs or a SC membership. Other suggestions in one of the other 300 threads on this topic.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 6:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Not a good MR, not a particularly good fare, but try running to one of DL's hubs. Will run you $200 RT and net a minimum of 1000 miles.

Biggest advantage of this over a real MR is you can do this in about 3 hours from MCI-MSP-MCI and still have the rest of your day.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: HH, DL
Thanks all
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: UA1k, DL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A523 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by HongKonger
DL WILL NOT give you status even if you are only 1 MQM short, nor will you roll any MQM over if you fall short of silver. There are lots of MRs as suggested in this thread. You wrote you were looking to fly to hubs but that is the wrong place to be looking. Flying to hubs is often more expensive. you can buy MQMs or a SC membership. Other suggestions in one of the other 300 threads on this topic.
Not entirely true. There are cases where DL may give an individual status, but it is extremely rare. That being said, in the OP's case, it's very doubtful.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Denolloyd
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A523 Safari/8536.25)

Not entirely true. There are cases where DL may give an individual status, but it is extremely rare. That being said, in the OP's case, it's very doubtful.
Everybody thinks they are going to be the one to win the lottery. It is extremely unlikely. There's no use even giving hope by mentioning the rare exception.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Everybody thinks they are going to be the one to win the lottery. It is extremely unlikely. There's no use even giving hope by mentioning the rare exception.
Thank you for saying that. Since rollover started, I have not seen one single post here of someone who was "given" unearned status because they were short MQMs. There is no use giving anyone false hope that that will happen. The ONLY way to be certain is to fly the miles, or take advantage of the other suggestions in this thread.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by waltinsocal
Thank you for saying that. Since rollover started, I have not seen one single post here of someone who was "given" unearned status because they were short MQMs. There is no use giving anyone false hope that that will happen. The ONLY way to be certain is to fly the miles, or take advantage of the other suggestions in this thread.
Yes and then they come on here and complain about it and make "very convincing arguments" as to why they should be granted the exception.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I could imagine DL perhaps being willing to consider an exception for someone doing 24,999 MQMs out of an airport like HSV all in FULL F fares, but for anything much less than this, absolutely no.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 7:16 pm
twk

Programs: DL DM, Million Miler
need 1650 MQMs for PM

Seeking FTers' advice ...

As of 12/31 (yes I'm flying redeye LAX-JFK on New Year's Eve), I will be 1650 miles short of re-qualifying as Platinum. I could:

a. spend a day sometime in the next three weeks flying LGA-DFW-LGA for $250 (best MR I can find right now)
b. buy 2500 MQMs for $395
c. join SkyClub for $300, get 1500 MQMs, and try to find another 150 somewhere
d. I thought upgrading to AX Delta Reserve from plain Delta AX would be an option, but I don't seem to be eligible for MQM bonus - probably because I did this before and then killed the Gold card a year after getting the bonus.

Any options I'm missing?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:11 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by rubesl
AMEX MR to DL transfers are RDM only, no MQM (if they were MQM I would make myself triple Diamond!).
In 2009-10, Amex 50k transfer bonus gave 75k DL RDMs and 25k DL MQMs!
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:22 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
a is best

Originally Posted by twk

As of 12/31 (yes I'm flying redeye LAX-JFK on New Year's Eve), I will be 1650 miles short of re-qualifying as Platinum. I could:

a. spend a day sometime in the next three weeks flying LGA-DFW-LGA for $250 (best MR I can find right now)
d. I thought upgrading to AX Delta Reserve from plain Delta AX would be an option, but I don't seem to be eligible for MQM bonus - probably because I did this before and then killed the Gold card a year after getting the bonus.

Any options I'm missing?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by twk

Any options I'm missing?
Settle for Gold with a 23,000+ rollover. This will make reaching gold or higher much easier for 2014.

That said, I'd buy the miles IF you plan do do a lot of international award travel. Last year I planned a Russian trip, changed twice and then had to cancel as my daughter was expecting twins while we were to be away.

What with two tickets and $150 each per change, I saved $900 with Platinum's free change/redeposit.

Beyond that my gold upgrades were always pretty good and gold gets Priority Plus (or whatever they call it) plus enough free bags for me.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by twk

Any options I'm missing?
Getting a Business Delta Reserve Amex should get you 10,000 MQMs and SkyClub access and 10,000 regular miles for $450.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
just get two

Originally Posted by flyerslc
Getting a Business Delta Reserve Amex should get you 10,000 MQMs and SkyClub access and 10,000 regular miles for $450.
Yep ( I got two on personal on biz ) !
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by flyerslc
Delta will not give everyone business cards. I had a tough time getting one as they kept wanting info on my employer not me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.