Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Significant points at which to start in this discussion:

Print Wikipost

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Have you considered if silver status is really worth it? How much will you be flying on Delta next year. You said that you had a (single?) long haul this year that netted you 21k miles. If next year you will only be taking a few flights, you might not get much from the benefits. Silver does not give lounge access on SkyTeam or international flights, however it will give you priority check in, extra free checked bag(s), and early boarding.

If your travel on DL or SkyTeam partners is usually in paid business class, then the only real benefit you'll get out of Silver status is the 25% extra miles. The perks or paid Business will trump silver perks.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM, UA 1P, Hyatt Passport Diamond, SPG Gold
I did a run recently going DCA-SLC-HNL-LAX-JFK-DCA, though I purposely bought on M fare for the bonus MQMs to make it 15k MQMs since I'm trying to requalify for DM for next year. Almost there.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:53 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by roknroll
Have you considered if silver status is really worth it? How much will you be flying on Delta next year. You said that you had a (single?) long haul this year that netted you 21k miles. If next year you will only be taking a few flights, you might not get much from the benefits. Silver does not give lounge access on SkyTeam or international flights, however it will give you priority check in, extra free checked bag(s), and early boarding.

If your travel on DL or SkyTeam partners is usually in paid business class, then the only real benefit you'll get out of Silver status is the 25% extra miles. The perks or paid Business will trump silver perks.
Thank you for your advise.
I have checked the perks of being Sliver lever/Elite on ST.
Not much benefits to be honest, that's why I don't wanna spend too much to get the status. But the miles bonus and baggage allowance sound tempting.

P.S. If i transfer Amex MR points to Delta, do i get MQMs as well? or just plain miles?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
AMEX MR to DL transfers are RDM only, no MQM (if they were MQM I would make myself triple Diamond!).
Old Nov 30, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by edisonli
Thank you for your advise.
I have checked the perks of being Sliver lever/Elite on ST.
Not much benefits to be honest, that's why I don't wanna spend too much to get the status. But the miles bonus and baggage allowance sound tempting.

P.S. If i transfer Amex MR points to Delta, do i get MQMs as well? or just plain miles?
Just plain miles for the AMEX transfer, it won't give MQM's. Being out of London, it will be more difficult to pick up a cheap 4k MQM's. You could probably do it for ~$200 in the US. Might be more economical to just pay the extra baggage fee if it will only be 1-2 flights
Old Nov 30, 2012, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Out of LON, it's going to be tough to beat the offer to purchase MQMs to get the 4,000 you need.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...mqms-back.html
dl.com: Give Yourself The Gift Of MQMs

You could purchase 5k via dl.com for $595.

A run to DXB from LON is roughly 7430 r/t. I found LCY-AMS-DXB-AMS-LHR for £353 (~$552) leaving 7 Dec and returning 9 Dec.

Also, as an FO, my sister is 3/3 for OpUps on ex-LHR (to JFK) flights this year...you just never know...
Old Nov 30, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
Red face

If you don't have lots of travel planned for next year, I would consider saving your money, and paying for baggage and economy Comfort as needed.

Rwoman's sister was lucky; as an FO, I still have yet to get either a domestic upgrade or an international opup.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: HH, DL
550 MQM from Requal Silver: Ideas

Any good ideas on getting the last 550 MQM? I know about the Credit card. Had my last two trips of the year canceled and too many recent USAir flights.

One colleague at work (DM) said he thought they would give it to me if I call. Any tips there?

Based at MCI
Old Nov 30, 2012, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A523 Safari/8536.25)

Doubt they will "give" them to you since they sell them. Perhaps buying would be a good option? If not, a quick and dirty MR?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 9:59 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
Buy 2500 MQMs from Delta for $395 or do a MR.

https://dn.delta.com/skymiles/purchasemqms/buy/landing
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:15 pm

Programs: HH, DL
I looked at buying but the 395 being less than the 150 for thee credit card thought the buying was out. I had read that Delta used to give MQMs for charity donations, any thought they may do that this year?

I also haven't seen any MR deals from MCI that were "low". Even to the hubs everything was 400+ that I found.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:27 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
MCI-ORD is about $200 round trip with 21 day advance purchase. That was the first city I checked. I am sure there are others.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Silver isn't worth much anyway these days, so i'd just not worry about it. Certainly not worth paying 400 dollars for.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All kinds of options out of MCI for next Saturday. MCI-SAN, MCI-PDX, MCI-PHX, MCI-LAS. All $270 or less. Geez, take your pick. Even GEG is cheap.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 2:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Rather than buying MQMs from DL, purchase a SC membership. It will make your travel more pleasant.

I would be extremely surprised if DL would "give" you FO for the asking when you don't have the required MQMs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.