Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Significant points at which to start in this discussion:

Print Wikipost

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
Originally Posted by sbjnyc
Did you miss a decimal point or did you really get a (non-tricked) fare for ~$140?
If he didn't miss a decimal, I want as many of those as I can get! You can put me in the cargo hold as long as I get the MQM.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL MM & FO, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lucycan
Got an email from Delta today saying I could transfer miles for $150 per 30k miles. My wife has roughly 100k miles but no status. I am a Platinum, at least for now. I am thinking of moving as many of hers over as possible. Thoughts?
Note that transfer of miles from another account do not qualify as MQM towards elite tier status. Same goes for purchased miles.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Got an email from Delta today saying I could transfer miles for $150 per 30k miles. My wife has roughly 100k miles but no status. I am a Platinum, at least for now. I am thinking of moving as many of hers over as possible. Thoughts?
Why? You'll pay $450 up front to avoid how many $150 change fees?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 4:18 pm

MIA-CDG-SIN-CDG-MIA. AF Premium Economy 33766 MQM with 50% A class bonus. Cost $2400. 7c per MQM and comfort too!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:22 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
Why? You'll pay $450 up front to avoid how many $150 change fees?
I agree. Diamonds and dirt have the same award availability. NW previously has 2 tiered award availability, but Delta doesn't.

I agree to pay the 3 fees if necessary. If not, you saved $450.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
If you have a specific use for them that would yield an advantage, then might be worth it. Otherwise, probably not. For example, it's fairly common for a Platinum to have access to a 25K award where a non-Medallion would have to pony up 32.5K or 40K. If you know you want a seat in this circumstance, you save some right there... especially if you're ticketing for multiple people. Similarly, if you know you have an award trip to book that is subject to change or would be nice to be able to change/improve, then throwing the $150 change fee out the window would be a nice benefit of the transaction.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:31 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Bikeguy
I agree. Diamonds and dirt have the same award availability. NW previously has 2 tiered award availability, but Delta doesn't.

I agree to pay the 3 fees if necessary. If not, you saved $450.
Delta does - and still does have different availability for coach award tickets.

Unless they've changed it since diamonds were added they actually have different buckets for DM, PM, GM, FO, and general availability for coach award tickets. Premium award tickets don't though.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 7:12 pm

need 264 MQM by the end of the year

This is my first post on here. I searched a bit for an answer but didn't find anything timely or relevant for my situation.

For the last 4 years, I've been FO (Silver Medallion), based on earnings on my Delta Skymiles Platinum AMEX plus a small number of roundtrips. It looks like in December, I'll finish out with 24,736 MQM.

FO doesn't really get much anymore, but I'd like to keep the status, if possible. Besides the obvious (taking another flight), are there any other ways of getting MQM? I have 45K HHonors points and could transfer some over, but I don't think those transfer as MQM.

Thanks!
Old Sep 9, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
They don't transfer to MQMs and the tranfer to RDMs is taxable. Why not fly someplace cheap for the weekend?
Old Sep 9, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
One flight will get you there with. 500 MQM minimum. Look for cheap flights
Old Sep 9, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
There is nothing I know of NOW. However, in the past, DL has offered a promo with Hilton where you could earn MQMs. It was based on stays and I don't remember the details since I did not do it.

Like a poster above me said, since you need so few MQMs, just fly somewhere for the cheapest price you can get and you'll be done with it. There is a section in another part of this forum that lists all sorts of inexpensive fares to various places.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 7:40 pm

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
Like everyone else said - take a cheap flight. Don't know where to go...

If you are in the US or Canada I like - www.google.com/flights/

- put in your starting location
- select your dates
- select Delta or skyteam on the airline dropdown
- select a top price

Then just look around on the map to see where you can go
Old Sep 9, 2012, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
Delta had a MQM purchase option at the end of last year, but IMHO the best way to get the miles is to fly. There is always a risk that DL will chose to not run any MQM promotions before the end of the year.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 8:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by Zomba
Delta had a MQM purchase option at the end of last year, but IMHO the best way to get the miles is to fly. There is always a risk that DL will chose to not run any MQM promotions before the end of the year.
It should be noted that Delta did that last year for the first and only time. Like you mentioned, it may not happen again this year. I don't recall the pricing structure either but a bet someone watching fares closely could do better by just making a run.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Zomba
IIRC DL also had an option of getting MQMs by donating to certain (mostly Atlanta) charities during the last two years.

However, it would be better not to count on this and instead find a cheap and fun weekend trip or something. Remember than any extra miles will roll over, so it could later be an advantage to pick something farther away for roughly the same price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.