Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Significant points at which to start in this discussion:

Print Wikipost

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by bekachan
I can not fly as I just broke my ankle and had surgery.
Is it so bad you couldn't do a short MR? I'm not implying your surgery was not a big deal, but my senior citizen aunt flew from SAN to BOS to catch a cruise one week after knee replacement surgery.

What's your home airport? There are a lot of deals out there before the Christmas and New Year's rush. You could a wheelchair attendant to help you to the plane etc.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:08 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
For the $300 you would pay for MQM's I bet you could find 2 x 2 nights in a cheap Hyatt branded hotel (Hyatt Place for example). Then you can get 4 nights in a hotel for the same price.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
150 MQMs

All I need are 150 MQMs to reach Gold Medallion again next year. I've seen the promo where I can buy 2500 MQMs for $300, but that's pricey since I only need 150. Is there any promotion I've missed or any trick I could use to reach Gold? All tips appreciated.

My last flight of the year is on Dec. 23, and unfortunately my return is on Jan. 1st so it won't count towards my status.

Beginning with 48135 MQM, 6557 redeemable miles, and Gold status.
BTV–DET: 515 miles on DL in B. As a Gold, earned 773 MQM and 1288 redeemable miles.
DET–MEM: 632 miles on DL in B. As a Gold, earned 948 MQM and 1580 redeemable miles.
Miles flown: 1147 this trip, 1147 so far
MQM earned: 1721 this trip, 49856 total so far
Redeemable miles earned: 2868 this trip, 9425 total so far

Total miles actually flown: 1147
Total MQM: 49856
Total redeemable miles: 9425
Status now: Gold
Old Dec 13, 2011, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
I am not sure if the Hilton promo is still in effect but that is 250 MQMs for a 2 night stay.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Do you have a Skyclub membership?

If you are going to be travelling extensively in 2012 - buying a Skyclub membership will get you 1500 MQMs ...

offers for the codes HPMQM for 1500 MQM
Old Dec 13, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by celisej8
All I need are 150 MQMs to reach Gold Medallion again next year. I've seen the promo where I can buy 2500 MQMs for $300, but that's pricey since I only need 150. Is there any promotion I've missed or any trick I could use to reach Gold? All tips appreciated.

My last flight of the year is on Dec. 23, and unfortunately my return is on Jan. 1st so it won't count towards my status.
You answered your own question. If you need 150 MQM and you have a flight, any flight on December 23, you will earn a minimum of 500 MQM for that one flight. Because the flights credit to your SM account as individual segments, you will hit GM based on that flight without regard to the return on Jan 1.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 9:30 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by jsmith50
You answered your own question. If you need 150 MQM and you have a flight, any flight on December 23, you will earn a minimum of 500 MQM for that one flight. Because the flights credit to your SM account as individual segments, you will hit GM based on that flight without regard to the return on Jan 1.
^ to jsmith50's answer. If you were including the miles from the outbount leg(s) on the 23rd, then you could (if possible) SDC (for free bc u are currently gold) to flights with +150MQM
Old Dec 13, 2011, 9:30 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by jsmith50
I think the OP means that after that Dec 23 trip s/he will still need 150 MQM to hit GM.

SDC on Dec 23 would be the solution, but may be impossible to do two days before Christmas.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 9:38 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
If the Hilton promo is not still available, you can get MQM's as a signup bonus with one of the DL AmEx cards. Think the DL AmEx Plat card has more than enough bonus, costs less than the Hilton promo, comes with a companion certificate, may even be free the first year. Of course, any excess MQM's will get credit for next year with rollover.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
I think the OP means that after that Dec 23 trip s/he will still need 150 MQM to hit GM.

SDC on Dec 23 would be the solution, but may be impossible to do two days before Christmas.
If this is what the OP meant, I am horribly confused. Perhaps the easiest thing to do would be to re-route and extend one of the legs by 150 MQM. Would need more details as to where the OP is going than, what I think, are provided in the post.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:31 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Unless I'm mistaken, the additional MQM's if you buy them, will roll over to next year. I understand not wanting to pay $300 for 2,500 miles when you need only 150, but it's not like the extra 2,350 totally go to waste. If your flight pattern is the same next year as this year, you won't have this year-end issue.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Thank you!

Thanks to all for the great tips. And yes, I am still 150 MQMs short after the Dec. 23rd flight. I am going to call Delta because I had a flight cancellation in October because of a Delta flight delay and had to drive from Atlanta to Tampa instead of getting the MQMs because there was no connection at the hour I arrived, so perhaps they would credit me the missed MQMs because of the awful travel day.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 3:24 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Use the term "original routing credit" in your request.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL PE, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, UA Prem, PC Plat
Originally Posted by celisej8
I am going to call Delta because I had a flight cancellation in October because of a Delta flight delay and had to drive from Atlanta to Tampa instead of getting the MQMs because there was no connection at the hour I arrived, so perhaps they would credit me the missed MQMs because of the awful travel day.
Instead of calling, use the "Comment/Complaint" email form at the top of Delta.com, and request "original routing credit" for that trip. In my experience, if you write rather than call, there's a much better likelihood of your request getting to someone who: 1) knows what you're asking for; and 2) will grant your request.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 4:06 pm

Need 16k MQMs to get to diamond

Ok, I maxed out all MQM rewards on credit cards (AMEX Reserve) and don't have any flying planned for the rest of the year but I need only 16k MQMs to get to diamond status for next year.

Anyway to get that. Maybe a quick flight somewhere for a few hundred bucks but for would rather avoid that if I can.

Chris

Last edited by Canarsie; Dec 16, 2011 at 12:33 pm Reason: Removed request in violation of the Guidelines & Rules of FlyerTalk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.