Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Significant points at which to start in this discussion:

Print Wikipost

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
Most weeks I have been getting emails for weekend get away fares, this week it was DTW-SAN and a few others for $299 roundtrip, with a ATL connection on both legs you could get about 4500 to 4600 right there.

Also, cheapish same turns to MCO, FLL, TPA, PBI can often be had this time of year where you could do 2 rountrips 4 flights flight on 1 saturday or mid week tuesday or wednesday flight.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:22 am

Programs: DL SPG IHG
Question So close, yet so far. What'd you do if you were me?

I'd like to make FO (for the first time--Yay!) in time for my last flight of the year on 12/7. I'll be boarding with 25,832 MQM's. But the day before, when it matters for status updates, I'll be a mere 155 MQM's short of promoting! :-(

I'll be coming home from a grueling multi-city biz trip and was really, really, really hoping to sit up front (and not have to pay baggage fees!) on the way home. Sadly, there are no upgrades using miles available for my itinerary, which means that the only way I'd have even a glimmer of hope would be to bump up to FO in time.

So, two questions:

--Do GA's see how many MQM's one has? Is there a chance that one might have pity on me and put me on the upgrade list?

--Or should I hold I tin cup and bat my eyelashes in front of the SkyClub, hoping that some kindly Amex Reserve cardmember has 155 extra MQM's in his or her pocket?

(I have 500 Hilton promotion MQM's coming to me, so all would be well if they hit my account by the 6th. But Delta says it would take "up to six weeks and it's only been two so far. So I'm guessing this won't help me...)

Thoughts? Advice?
:-/
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:26 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I'd buy 2500 MQMs today for $299.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-buy-mqms.html

Edited to add that the GAs will NOT put you on the upgrade list as a general member.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 3:18 am

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
As mentioned above,

1. if you really want your FO. Buy the MQMs

2. See if the Hilton hits your account. the have been pretty quick for me about 4 or 5 days.

3. Check EF to see if V inventory is even a possibility on your routes. I have three flights on that date as a PM and it looks like I'll be in back entire time.

4. Enjoy your last flight without status. Soon you'll be able to board with the other 80percent of the Pax

Good luck
Old Dec 1, 2011, 6:09 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Narratress
--Do GA's see how many MQM's one has? Is there a chance that one might have pity on me and put me on the upgrade list?
I was in a similar situation the day before Thanksgiving... I hit 25K in the middle of an itinerary. DL's Twitter CSR was able to make a note on my reservation, but the GA's in ATL were too dense to figure it out. All they can see is your last updated MQM level, and if your miles haven't posted yet, you're probably SOL.

Sucked, too, because there was an empty seat up front on the leg I would've been FO for - 10 seats open in FC, 9 people on the upgrade list. FA pulled someone from coach to fill the seat.

But patience, grasshopper... your time will come.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 6:27 am

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
Certainly not worth spending the money for some outside shot for an upgrade as an FO. We don't know your itinerary but some routes are even hard as a PM/DM. The only thing you would have for sure is saving the checked bag fee. Just hope the Hilton promo comes in in time or as mentioned above, just enjoy the bennies next year.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
get yourself a cane and an old man disguise. Fake a very bad injury when entering the plane. You just might find some very nice elite sitting in F willing to give up his/her seat for yours!
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:05 am

Just Shy

I need 3,012 MQM's for my next upgrade on Delta. I have plans to fly from NY to Orange County, CA for Christmas but I don't think thats enough for 3,012 miles.
Any advice?
Layovers/etc..
Higher Class fare?
Thought about opening the credit card...
Not sure what to do.
Thanks.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-buy-mqms.html

you can buy MQMs now but a NY - CA round trip flight will get you enough MQMs

Welcome to FT.

Last edited by DaChief; Dec 1, 2011 at 11:19 am
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:13 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Marriott Gold, Hilton, Hertz
Originally Posted by crw19
I need 3,012 MQM's for my next upgrade on Delta. I have plans to fly from NY to Orange County, CA for Christmas but I don't think thats enough for 3,012 miles.
Any advice?
Layovers/etc..
Higher Class fare?
Thought about opening the credit card...
Not sure what to do.
Thanks.
Is that round trip? Because if it is round trip you should be okay-according to this it is 2450 one way, round trip would be double. (assuming John Wayne to JFK) http://www.webflyer.com/travel/milea...onus_use_min=0 2450

You could add an additional stop say ATL and it would add miles if you are one way, or get an American Express card. Hilton offers a nice promo as well, although it might be too late to purchase it at this point.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
This is an easy one:

https://dn.delta.com/skymiles/purchasemqms/buy/landing
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:20 am

Thanks guys,
I wasn't sure that you could buy MQM's, thought you could only buy miles.
As for the roundtrip question, my return flight is after the new year so they won't count.
Thanks again.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
LGA-BNA-DTW-ATL-SNA is a valid routing and would yield 3788 miles o/w.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM
SEA is a valid connection JFK to SNA.....Doesnt' usually cost any more...
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL PE, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, UA Prem, PC Plat
There are a number of same-day MR options from NYC that will cost $150 or less, too. Any round-trip, added to your Orange County mileage, will put you over the hump.

Among the possibilities with lots of availability for a same-day turn: WAS, BWI, ORD ("shuttle" service), MYR. Others to look at include DTW, BOS, and SYR (if you can travel on the morning of 12/20, JFK-SYR-JFK can be done in less than 4 hours for $119).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.