Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Significant points at which to start in this discussion:

Print Wikipost

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2011, 3:59 am

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Another vote for rollover. I have my flights planned to end up with 124,840 MQM's this year
Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by rileydogmi
I am PM short of DM by 270 miles - been flying other airlines so I can hold short. Rollover is the way to go IMO.
You should go stay 2 nights at a Hilton property for the 250 MQMs and be 20 short of DM!!!😃
Old Nov 5, 2011, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
If something goes wrong with my mileage runs, I would end the year at 124,995 MQMs.

Were that to happen, you can bet I would be buying a $59 one-way fare from Phoenix to San Diego (over SLC preferably ) to make sure I keep Diamond.

As someone who often buys lower fares, there have been several times this year that I would not have gotten the upgrade if I was a PM but did since I was a DM. The co-terminal SDC has also been a great perk to use.

Bottom line for me is, Diamond is much more valuable than Platinum.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mersk862
The co-terminal SDC has also been a great perk to use.

Bottom line for me is, Diamond is much more valuable than Platinum.
I thought PMs get that benefit too?
Old Nov 5, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Originally Posted by keloutwest
I wish!

It is a benefit unique to DM's

Maps
Old Nov 5, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Exec. Plat., HHonors Gold, Marriot Silver, Hertz Pres. Circle, Starwood Gold, etc.
Originally Posted by mapsgl
Originally Posted by keloutwest
I wish!

It is a benefit unique to DM's

Maps
If I'm not mistaken, it's an unpublished DM benefit.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 5:26 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Question:
What is co-terminal SDC?

Comment:
I was going to be about 2-3K short of DM and 5K short for AMEX MQM MileBoost, but I thought I'd take the rollover.
I have an upcoming flight to ATL and I was already upgrade to row 7. I kept looking to change rows fearing an equipment change. Flightstats showed no more availability. Today when I went to check-in, I noticed there was an equipment change so there were only 6 first class rows. I was automatically moved to another row in FC, presumably bumping someone else from a potential gate upgrade. So today, the system worked, so I think I'll buy some AMEX gift cards to get the MQM if I can't do a mileage run.
I think DM will be worth it.

Last edited by tikiboy; Nov 5, 2011 at 5:31 pm
Old Nov 5, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Last year, I got Diamond thrust upon me thanks to Delta's "double EQM" deal last year. I flew from a focus city to London in biz class last November. This year, I went nuts with domestic travel and had a blast!

I calculated that my upcoming flights still left me 1400 miles short. I dropped $290 rt for san-ATL-okc-ATL-san. Going to see a cousin in Oklahoma City. Yeah, Diamond is good enough to find those crazy excuses to fly.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: Centurion Card, Executive Platinum AAdvantage, Platinum Medallion, Platinum Starwood, Platinum Hyatt
short 2K miles for Diamond

I'm sorry for my ignorance but it seems that the experts suggest RollOver vs obtaining his Diamond status. Wouldn't higher status always be a better choice?
Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tikiboy
Question:
What is co-terminal SDC?
DMs can SDC to co-terminals which is an unpublished beni. E.g. you have a flight to JFK and you SDC to LGA or SFO/OAK etc. Basically the allowed co-terminals for routings will be allowed for SDC.
If you often fly to the WAS/SFO/NYC area it can be very valuable.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: Waffle House DM
Originally Posted by dcjake
I'm sorry for my ignorance but it seems that the experts suggest RollOver vs obtaining his Diamond status. Wouldn't higher status always be a better choice?
Not always. If you don't absolutely need the upgrades or use the Sky Club extensively, then Plat or Gold give you similar benefits, you are just a bit further down the pecking order to get at them. If you fly International a lot on paid Business class, you will get most of the benefits anyway even as a Plat.

Stopping short and rolling keeps you at a more consistent level for longer, shooting for DM when you aren't rolling any or many miles is more likely to drop you down a couple of tiers if your travel drops off.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
short 2K miles for Diamond

Get 1) Delta Reserve AMEX Card for your self
Get 1) Delta Platinum AMEX card for your self
Get 1 each for your suppose (or anyone else)

Spend 30 /60 K on the reserve cards... 15K MQM x 2
Spend 25/50 K on the Platinum cards...10K MQM x 2
15 +15 +15 +15 +10 +10 +10 +10 = 100K MQMs

The rest is easy travel..... Of source you have to churn the card and really use em....

I make diamond every year.... and don't forget that u get a free voucher for flight (ANY CLAS of rRESERVE) to cover the annual fees....

A simple process....

^
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:42 am

well ..did not account for the starwood hotel automatic deposit, and yesterday 2000 points came in from starwood, and I am a DM now.

I have a personal trip flying SEA-SLC-SAN but with me I have a family of 4. I know I wont get upgraded till I do the PNR spliting etc.

I rarely use any DM/PM facility as I normally travel once a qtr and that too intl on business class fare.

How do we know what is the availability in one flight ..is there some system.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by booziflyer
well ..did not account for the starwood hotel automatic deposit, and yesterday 2000 points came in from starwood, and I am a DM now.

I have a personal trip flying SEA-SLC-SAN but with me I have a family of 4. I know I wont get upgraded till I do the PNR spliting etc.

I rarely use any DM/PM facility as I normally travel once a qtr and that too intl on business class fare.

How do we know what is the availability in one flight ..is there some system.
Sorry, I am unaware of the starwood points you mentioned. Does Starwood provide MQMs somehow?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by tikiboy
Question:
What is co-terminal SDC?
... so I think I'll buy some AMEX gift cards to get the MQM if I can't do a mileage run.
How many AMEX gift cards can you buy and is there a fee for using them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.