Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Significant points at which to start in this discussion:

Print Wikipost

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Life Plat, HHonors DM
Just wanted to report that I received my 10,000 MQMs within a week of getting the card and charging on it. I got it on the 5th and the MQMs were added this morning. Now I have a short RT MR to ORD this Saturday to get my last MQMs to get Plat.

So, if you need 10,000 MQMs or less, getting the Reserve card might help, even with the short time left to qualify.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
SC membership, Hilton two-night stay, or buy them from DL. There was a Hertz MQM promo that may have ended.
Agree - since OP is a PM it would be discounted too and gets 1500 mqm IIRC? - or you can opt for 14 months instead of 12 but OP is of course after the mqms.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Agree - since OP is a PM it would be discounted too and gets 1500 mqm IIRC? - or you can opt for 14 months instead of 12 but OP is of course after the mqms.
OP needs to check, but I think it's 1500 MQMs (and lounges) for about $300.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seanj
I'm new to the flier program and just realized that I only have until the end of the month to rack up 25k miles and retain my silver status. Working out the math I'll have 22,479 MQMs at the end of this year. Are there any other ways to get MQMs that I should be aware of? Maybe I should book a 2521 mile flight that I never show up for (lol)?

I know they are expensive but I would just buy 5000 mqms from the DL website. You will rollover 2479 miles for next year and have silver status. It may not be the chepaest way and not as much fun as flying the miles but tehy almost instantaneously go in your account and is extremely convenient.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
I haven't been on FT in about 18 months and had not updated my status. I am no longer PM. I am GM and needing 50 MQM's to get to PM. I am very sorry I posted the question without updating my profile as these answers assumed I was PM going for DM.

Let me add that if I can't do it for $100 or less, I am not interested. Thank you for the replies so far.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bnaboy
I haven't been on FT in about 18 months and had not updated my status. I am no longer PM. I am GM and needing 50 MQM's to get to PM. I am very sorry I posted the question without updating my profile as these answers assumed I was PM going for DM.
SC membership is still discounted for Gold - just not as heavily. Or just buy 2500 mqms and be done with it. The excess 2450 rollover so not wasted.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Dec 12, 2012 at 2:46 pm Reason: spell
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: DL PM
hertz offer expired end of Nov. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...mqm-offer.html)

Either roll over the 24,500 or else purchase MQM from delta is probably your two best choices.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:34 am

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Delta Amex?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by EmptyKim
Delta Amex?
Probably a bit late in the year to count on that -- best bets for the OP is the Hilton promo, or buying miles, or SC promo including related discounts.

Bob H
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by MinnTee
Just wanted to report that I received my 10,000 MQMs within a week of getting the card and charging on it. I got it on the 5th and the MQMs were added this morning. Now I have a short RT MR to ORD this Saturday to get my last MQMs to get Plat.

So, if you need 10,000 MQMs or less, getting the Reserve card might help, even with the short time left to qualify.
That's great info. On what day did you apply for the card?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by bnaboy

Let me add that if I can't do it for $100 or less, I am not interested. Thank you for the replies so far.
If you look really hard, maybe you can find a Hilton two night weekend within your budget. But that offers expires really quickly if not already. edit: ends 12/15

HHonors.com/deltamqm

Love your signature, by the way. ^

David
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: Delta: Gold, Marriott: Silver
Hilton offer or a cheap MR are going to be your only options, and this late in the year finding anything for less than $100 is going to be hard. Going to SLC, ATL, or LGA on a same day turn would be easy to find for about $200, but those are probably your only options.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
Does anyone know how the 1500 promo MQM's for SC membership are posted? e.g. Will it post with payment of the SC fee or do I have to be careful to do it early enough before the end of the year so the MQM's can post?

Since I am short 3700 miles I thought I might buy the 2500 MQM's for $395 and buy a SC membership for $400. I know that it's $200 more than if I were to buy the 5k MQM's but at least this way I get a SC membership for half price. At least that's how I look at it, lol.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Frogbone
Does anyone know how the 1500 promo MQM's for SC membership are posted? e.g. Will it post with payment of the SC fee or do I have to be careful to do it early enough before the end of the year so the MQM's can post?
For me, they posted as soon as I paid. With the caveat that the new line entry showed up on the activity list, but it did seem to take a couple of hours to be added to my MQM total.

Be careful when you make this purchase. There will be multiple options presented as to buying 1 year SC, 3 year SC, etc. At the bottom of the options, will be the option to buy 1 year SC with 1500 MQMs, or 3 year SC with 1500 MQMs. Be sure you select the correct option.

David
Old Dec 12, 2012, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Add Content

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.