Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Good luck. I hope you're preparing by doing some sprinting and running every day, plus racing up and down stairs so that you can pass people on the long escalators to and from the plane train.
Old May 11, 2017, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Majuki
So it's on me if the door is closed when I get to the connecting flight even if I sprinted gate to gate?
Depends, did you buy it as a single ticket?
Old May 11, 2017, 7:08 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That's fine for you as a PM, plus you might be able to do SDC/SDS for free to give yourself more time on the day of departure. However, OP is a kettle with DL and that makes a big difference, plus OP isn't familiar with ATL.
You're not reading my post (as usual). I SDC to give myself LESS time.

ATL is not some convoluted maze, it's probably the easiest airport in the world of it's size to navigate.

I'd like to see statistics of how many people on 40 minute connections at ATL misconnect. I am guessing most people in this thread would massively overestimate the number.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by makrom
Depends, did you buy it as a single ticket?
Yes, it's a single ticket booked directly with Delta.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Yes, it's a single ticket booked directly with Delta.
Well, then I wouldn't expect them to hold the plane for you, but they will automatically rebook you on the next flight they can. Assuming there isn't a weather event or other larger cancellation event they can usually get you on the next flight to your destination.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:34 am

I think the OP made the right call by choosing an earlier flight to avoid the issue entirely. I tend to book longer connections when possible for lounge purposes, though similarly don't worry about short connections as long as there are enough later flights to carry me on my way. Without a lounge, though, a few hour delay could easily cost me more than the fare difference, given the price of whiskey gingers in airports =p
Old May 11, 2017, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
flight times (block) are very padded these days. it isn't uncommon for a flight that departs on time to block in 30 minutes early.

i routinely book 40 minute connections in SLC, MSP, and ATL and haven't missed one lately when the originating flight departs no greater than 15 minutes late.

where you can get into trouble at ATL is if you arrive on the far end of D or E and need to get to the far end of A or T.

unfortunately, where a typical domestic flight operates from on any given day isn't a good indication of where it will operate from the next day, IME.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I'm not too worried due to the schedule padding and Delta's good operations. I typically fly a combination of AA and AS, so I wouldn't recommend a 40-minute connection at DFW, which is the minimum connecting time there, for instance.

I just want to make sure that I'm protected or have some options to reroute in case the inbound flight is delayed. A few posts had indicated that the traveler would be on his own if the connection was within the MCT and arrived to the connection after doors had closed on the next flight.

If I go below the minimum connecting time due to a schedule change, I will call in to see about getting on an earlier flight out of Knoxville. It would be even better if the schedule change were in my favor, providing me with a longer layover.
Old May 15, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Another factor is whether the GA at your gate in ATL has a full flight and a standby list, and wants to pull the trigger early so that he or she can close the door as much as 10 minutes before departure.

This happened to me a couple of years ago on a BWI-ATL-SJC trip (the ATL-SJC leg was the only non-stop flight of the day between those two airports). The BWI flight arrived late; I think I set a personal record in getting from the gate in the B concourse to the gate in the A concourse in something like 8 minutes, and arrived before scheduled departure time, only to find that the GA had just shut the door and watched her retract the jetway from the plane. There were at least 15 others who got there at the same time I did who missed out also (the GIDS showed that the flight went out full). She cleared the standbys and NRSAs and closed the door.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I just want to make sure that I'm protected or have some options to reroute in case the inbound flight is delayed. A few posts had indicated that the traveler would be on his own if the connection was within the MCT and arrived to the connection after doors had closed on the next flight.

If I go below the minimum connecting time due to a schedule change, I will call in to see about getting on an earlier flight out of Knoxville. It would be even better if the schedule change were in my favor, providing me with a longer layover.
It really isn't one's choice to have a single-ticket connection below MCT, even if the short-timing resulted from a schedule change. The ticketing party has a responsibility to rebook you with a schedule change. Check-in systems are smart enough to refuse to let a passenger check bags. You not be able to get boarding passes. Count on being re-booked; do that at your initiative to something that works for you or suffer the risk of waiting for available flights on day of travel.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by sbr7d
I connected through ATL in April LHR-ATL-TRI. I have GE as well so I am TSPpre. There is NOT a TSApre line down in immigration. It sucks and I wish they had it down there. Good thing is with GE you will be ahead of all passengers from the plane you just left. It creates a mess if international planes arrived before you and clogged immigration up. Ultimately, you would be queuing in line behind those other planes after you have your chat with the immigration guy.

My process from leaving the plane to arrive at the lounge in E took around 35 minutes. I walked quick and only had a carry on though.
Sorry for the delay in replying. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Given that the DL flight to DFW is the last one of the day, I think we will play it safe and plan an overnight at the Hyatt Place and then head out the next morning to DAL. This way, we won't have to be stressed out if there are any delays on our BA flight.

Thanks again!
Old May 15, 2017, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DFW1972
Sorry for the delay in replying. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Given that the DL flight to DFW is the last one of the day, I think we will play it safe and plan an overnight at the Hyatt Place and then head out the next morning to DAL. This way, we won't have to be stressed out if there are any delays on our BA flight.

Thanks again!

I think this is wise based on my experience yesterday. We flew FCO - ATL - RDU. Got an "X" on my GE for the first time ever and they had one person processing the GE "X" folks so that took about 30 minutes.

From there the baggage took another 25 minutes (our stuff must've been in the last cargo bin on the plane) and then as noted above there is no TSA PreCheck so that was another 20-25 minutes. All told we landed at 4:53pm EST yesterday and didn't get all the way out until about 6:15pm despite GE and being among the first off the plane since were were sitting in C+ near 2L.

I've gone ahead and added the lack of TSA pre to the wiki for those visiting this thread in the future.

Last edited by Duke787; May 15, 2017 at 12:18 pm
Old May 22, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
Which option

I am flying ABQ-ATL-SAV. I chose a 55 minute connection vs. a 2'35" so I can get home at 7:06 p.m. vs. 8:45 p.m.. Any reason to change to the later flight? I am flying F if that matters. Thanks
Old May 22, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Pulley
I am flying ABQ-ATL-SAV. I chose a 55 minute connection vs. a 2'35" so I can get home at 7:06 p.m. vs. 8:45 p.m.. Any reason to change to the later flight? I am flying F if that matters. Thanks
Under normal circumstances, it's plenty of time, and there look to be multiple additional flight options for the ATL-SAV night route if the original connection gets weird. So 55 is perfectly fine in my book.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:39 pm

CDG-ATL-RDU

I have 3 hours. Just wondering where my flight might land and where I might pick up my domestic flight. Can I check a few days before. Is it really necessary to take the train? Is it too far to walk? This is all on Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.