Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mot29
The 1 h 10 m connection should be fine — unless the flight from LAX is delayed. I don’t think there is anything later to change to from ATL to LHR, even connecting.
There are options to route up to JFK and catch the 8am flight to LHR on VS.

OP,
If the flight to ATL is delayed, ask to be rerouted on a DL flight to JFK, and then the morning VS (815AM currently) departure. You'll only lose half a day instead of whole. Plus the morning flight IMO works better for timezone adjustment. You arrive in time for dinner and goto bed instead of morning and fighting to stay awake.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold
Hey guys,

I'm looking for transfer connection time.

I'm looking to make a Delta One connection in ATL with priority bags. I need to recollect my bags for customs and check them in domestically for a Delta economy flight at the transfer desk. Do you think 1 hour 17 minutes is enough time? I plan to be first ones off the plane, plus I have global entry. I also have TSA precheck as well if I need it for my economy flight. The international flight arrives at 3:55pm ad my next flight is 5:12pm. Let me know what you think.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Are both flights on DL? Also are both on one or two tickets? Lastly where is inbound coming from?

DL pads their schedules and usually arrive a bit early. However knowing the above would give a better answer.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by trach500
Hey guys,

I'm looking to make a Delta One connection in ATL with priority bags. I need to recollect my bags for customs and check them in domestically for a Delta economy flight at the transfer desk. Do you think 1 hour 17 minutes is enough time? I plan to be first ones off the plane, plus I have global entry. I also have TSA precheck as well if I need it for my economy flight. The international flight arrives at 3:55pm ad my next flight is 5:12pm. Let me know what you think.
This is below minimum connect time for an international to domestic connection, so it must be two different tickets. No way would I try this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold
Hey guys,

This is theoretically doable, if everything goes well. It's almost certainly not advisable, though.

What airline is your domestic leg on? Is there a later flight you could catch? What are the consequences if you misconnect? Are you comfortable with the idea of buying another ticket if things go off the rails?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Hey guys,

Just a data point that my 10 TPAC intl arrival at ATL over the last 3 yrs there was no TSA-pre security open post-CBP immigration and customs
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:50 pm

Hello, hoping someone here can assist me. UK passport holder, travelling LHR -ATL on BA then ATL-SRQ on Delta, all on same day of 17th Dec 2017 and have a connection time of 2 hours 49 mins and returning same route reversed with 2 hours 35mins connection time on 8th January. I originally booked flights with 3.5 -4 hours connections to allow for immigration, customs, checked baggage, shuttle bus, separate tickets so no interlining of bags etc, but Delta have changed flights on me several times and the latest now gives the connection periods as above.

Will that be sufficient? On both routes I am taking the last flight of the day. I tried to alter flights on Delta website to give me longer, but despite their changes of more than 1 hour, when I try to change it says "Error-you are confirmed on your existing flights." I have Delta's UK number and will try to call, but altering flights will leave me with more than 6 hours at ATL, which is longer than I'd want.

Read lots of websites advising the current timings I have are just too tight for comfort. Any thoughts Flyertalkers?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:10 pm

The on-line tool doesn't work when it comes to changing flights affected by schedule changes. You have to call. You should be able to get the flights you want since you had a change of over an hour. As for the question of whether 2.5 hours is enough time to connect at ATL on separate tickets, I would say that it is, as long as both your inbounds are on time. But that's a big if. I might keep the flight to SRQ as it is (if you miss your flight, DL will probably put you on the next one as long as you're not on a basic economy fare) but change the flight back from SRQ to the earlier one as I'm guessing there isn't a good backup if you miss the ATL-LHR flight.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:59 am

Thank you Loganflyer. I have done exactly as you suggested and feel much more relaxed about my trip now. If I miss the outbound to SRQ (I'm travelling in first) then I can surely overnight in a hotel and travel next morning and live with that, but as you suspected, inbound ATL - LHR is the only flight of the day and is on a rewards redemption in first. If I miss that, it could get very expensive for me
LoganFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:14 am

Canada - ATL - Carribbean

Hi there... I booked my flights to Guadeloupe realizing I have 1:20 to transfer from my flight from Toronto to my flight with Air France. I know the top message says 45 mins minimum.... but I understand that I have to recheck my bag and go through security again, correct? Anyone have a suggestion or (more) realistic time frame? I will be landing in ATl around 8:55am and (hopefully!) leaving at 10:15... thanks!
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by tayaburzy
Hi there... I booked my flights to Guadeloupe realizing I have 1:20 to transfer from my flight from Toronto to my flight with Air France. I know the top message says 45 mins minimum.... but I understand that I have to recheck my bag and go through security again, correct? Anyone have a suggestion or (more) realistic time frame? I will be landing in ATl around 8:55am and (hopefully!) leaving at 10:15... thanks!
Hello, tayaburzy, and welcome to FlyerTalk! You'll have preclearance on your flight from Toronto, so the flight will land as a domestic flight. You will not have to clear security or recheck your bags.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by tayaburzy
As long as it's a single ticket, you will be just fine; as Majuki said, you will not have to reclaim your bag due to preclearance in Toronto, which is why the minimum connection time is shorter for flights from Canada. Have a great trip!
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:26 pm

What precisely counts as "domestic" destinations for ATL MCTs, besides of course US cities? For example, I bought a BOS-ATL-AUA ticket with a 37 minute connection on dl.com, which is shorter than the minimum domestic to international connection time; another example is that you can buy an HAV-ATL-YYZ ticket in spite of EF saying that DL has suppressed HAV connection times for any international connection, which usually means DL won't sell you that ticket. I'm guessing AUA, NAS, FPO, BDA, and Canada all count as domestic due to preclearance. Is that accurate or is there a exact list somewhere?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by auldlassie
Thank you Loganflyer. I have done exactly as you suggested and feel much more relaxed about my trip now. If I miss the outbound to SRQ (I'm travelling in first) then I can surely overnight in a hotel and travel next morning and live with that, but as you suspected, inbound ATL - LHR is the only flight of the day and is on a rewards redemption in first. If I miss that, it could get very expensive for me
One additional tip. Note that on your inbound, you will indeed need to follow signs and clear immigration/customs as if you are terminating in ATL, since your bags will not be treated as having a connection.

However, you do not need to deal with the shuttle bus back to the domestic terminal at ATL - the "terminals" at ATL are simply two opposite landside entrances to the very same airs ideal concourse/gate complex. Once you've cleared US customs/immigration, just go upstairs to the departures level and check in for your ATL-SRQ flight at any DL counter. Although you will be in the international terminal, they will happily check you in to the domestic flight and you can clear security and access all gates from that side.

This does NOT work in the opposite direction, however, since BA will not have check in counters in the domestic terminal. On your way back, you will indeed need to collect your bags on the domestic side, then take the landside shuttle around to the international terminal where you will find the BA check in counter.

If you manage to not check any bags on your return, you could actually stay airside for your entire connection.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:10 pm

Hello,

22 december i will be flying from DFW with dl802 to atl. There ill have 40minutes connection time to kl0622. Do you guys think i am able to make this connection?

Thanks
Melvin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.