Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2017, 11:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I was booked SFO-SLC-BWI with a comfortable connection.

Due to a schedule change, I'm now booked SFO-ATL-BWI with a 37 minute connection (screenshot attached so you know exactly when I'm flying).

There is a 2233-0029 ATL-BWI, but I really don't want that timing (and was one of the reasons I picked DL in the first place).

I have a critical engagement late afternoon on the 2nd (hence why I'm flying on the 1st).

I'm young, quick, paid F, and will only have carry-on, but I have never been to ATL.

Given that an overnight in ATL wouldn't be the end of the world (actually, I'd probably prefer that to the later ATL-BWI flight), I'm not too concerned about the situation, but I'm more curious about whether this seems reasonable.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:34 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Given that an overnight in ATL wouldn't be the end of the world (actually, I'd probably prefer that to the later ATL-BWI flight), I'm not too concerned about the situation, but I'm more curious about whether this seems reasonable.
It's reasonably do-able especially since you'll be at the front of the plane. Although, depending how much the schedule changed (did either your departure or arrival change by an hour or more?) you could call and suggest something that's more to your liking.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
It's reasonably do-able especially since you'll be at the front of the plane. Although, depending how much the schedule changed (did either your departure or arrival change by an hour or more?) you could call and suggest something that's more to your liking.
Original itinerary was 1300-2313. New one is 1132-2159.

So yes, more than an hour on both ends. But I prefer the new one

But if it becomes 1132-0029, then I lose that benefit.

There's an 1111-2136 via MSP (58 minutes) and an 1145-2205 via DTW (74 minutes) that would work.

It's a refundable fare (I paid extra for that), and there's also an AA option that has reasonable timings and is cheaper (though non-refundable), but I don't have AA lounge access, it gets in around 2300 (2200 beats 2300 for me), and it's not THAT much cheaper.

Actually just writing all this out makes me feel like I should push for DTW. If I'm going to have to leave ~1130 instead of 1300, it limits what I can do on Friday night (I need my beauty sleep), so I'd at least like to avoid any connection stress.

I guess I'll give them a call in the morning.

Thanks.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 6:26 am

Purchased tickets Thursday for NYC-PTY via ATL. Connection was tight at 40 minutes but now has dropped to 31 minutes and they're not even selling those tickets. Now the earliest is a 1:59 departure rather than 3:00 p.m.. is that even worth trying to run for it? I've connected through ATL a few times but don't know the layout that well. Yesterday google shows the nyc flight arriving at B29 and PTY taking off from E16. Looking on the map we would have to connect via the train. But it looks like both gates are fairly close to the train.
Any thoughts?
Would DL allow a reroute?

edit to add: After reading the wiki I see it's now under MCT...
I really really hate dealing with NYC traffic but flying out of SWF is way expensive. I found flights from SWF but it forces an overnight in DTW both ways. That would be fine with me as I've got friends I could stay with so wouldn't have to shell money out for a hotel. Would DL allow this? Just want to have my ducks in order before calling

Last edited by lovefly88; Jun 11, 2017 at 6:54 am
Old Jun 11, 2017, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lovefly88
Purchased tickets Thursday for NYC-PTY via ATL. Connection was tight at 40 minutes but now has dropped to 31 minutes and they're not even selling those tickets. Now the earliest is a 1:59 departure rather than 3:00 p.m.. is that even worth trying to run for it? I've connected through ATL a few times but don't know the layout that well. Yesterday google shows the nyc flight arriving at B29 and PTY taking off from E16. Looking on the map we would have to connect via the train. But it looks like both gates are fairly close to the train.
Any thoughts?

I really really hate dealing with NYC traffic but flying out of SWF is way expensive. I found flights from SWF but it forces an overnight in DTW both ways. That would be fine with me as I've got friends I could stay with so wouldn't have to shell money out for a hotel. Would DL allow this? Just want to have my ducks in order before calling
Basically anything close to what you have will be fine. They should be fine with SWF, or any NYC area airport.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
lovefly88, as far as running:

Even though ATL is fairly easy to get around, 31 minutes on a connection to a once a day international flight is really short.

I would only risk this tight a connection if you really did not mind much at all if you happen to miss-connect.

And not that they are worth much, but the forecasts are calling for t'storms Thur. (as opposed to the normal "chance of scattered t'storms" we will have for the next 2 months).
Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Original itinerary was 1300-2313. New one is 1132-2159.

So yes, more than an hour on both ends. But I prefer the new one

But if it becomes 1132-0029, then I lose that benefit.

There's an 1111-2136 via MSP (58 minutes) and an 1145-2205 via DTW (74 minutes) that would work.

It's a refundable fare (I paid extra for that), and there's also an AA option that has reasonable timings and is cheaper (though non-refundable), but I don't have AA lounge access, it gets in around 2300 (2200 beats 2300 for me), and it's not THAT much cheaper.

Actually just writing all this out makes me feel like I should push for DTW. If I'm going to have to leave ~1130 instead of 1300, it limits what I can do on Friday night (I need my beauty sleep), so I'd at least like to avoid any connection stress.

I guess I'll give them a call in the morning.

Thanks.
You're in confirmed FC so I'd ask for a new routing on SFO-JFK-BWI that would get you Delta One on the transcon segment.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by lovefly88
Any thoughts?

Because your ticket now has a connection time under MCT, you can ask for any reasonable change and DL will give it to you. Changing to SWF should not be a problem, just be prepared with the exact flight info to read off to the agent when you call. The one thing you absolutely should not do is keep your ticket as-is. If you try to check a bag, the computer might not let you due to the connection being under MCT. And if you misconnect, DL technically isn't obligated to help you, since you had an "illegal" ticket.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
You're in confirmed FC so I'd ask for a new routing on SFO-JFK-BWI that would get you Delta One on the transcon segment.
I'd have to take an 0820 flight to make the connection to BWI, and I really don't want to do that. That would require waking up by 0630, which is not how I want to start my Saturday

But I definitely looked into that. There just aren't enough SFO-JFK flights.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I'd have to take an 0820 flight to make the connection to BWI, and I really don't want to do that. That would require waking up by 0630, which is not how I want to start my Saturday

But I definitely looked into that. There just aren't enough SFO-JFK flights.
Not sure if typo or joking, but as someone who shops that exact routing a lot I think you meant the issue is the JFK<->BWI frequencies, and the way the connections work out it usually means being on one of the two early SFO-JFK flights (and I am also not typically a morning person, and D1 breakfast isn't a big difference over regular F breakfast) or arriving late into BWI. So while I'll still look for it if it makes sense, I'm more likely to choose the JFK routing going westbound.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Not sure if typo or joking, but as someone who shops that exact routing a lot I think you meant the issue is the JFK<->BWI frequencies, and the way the connections work out it usually means being on one of the two early SFO-JFK flights (and I am also not typically a morning person, and D1 breakfast isn't a big difference over regular F breakfast) or arriving late into BWI. So while I'll still look for it if it makes sense, I'm more likely to choose the JFK routing going westbound.
The last JFK-BWI is at 2130.

The SFO-JFK that leaves later than 0820 gets in to JFK at 2140.

There are only four SFO-JFK flights on DL on July 1, compared to 10 UA SFO-EWR.

I guess I'm more accustomed to hourly transcons.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:25 pm

The last JFK-BWI is at 2130.

The SFO-JFK that leaves later than 0820 gets in to JFK at 2140.

There are only four SFO-JFK flights on DL on July 1, compared to 10 UA SFO-EWR.

I guess I'm more accustomed to hourly transcons.
Ah, I think that's a Saturday thing. While not hourly, they do run more Sunday and during the week.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Basically anything close to what you have will be fine. They should be fine with SWF, or any NYC area airport.
They don't want to seem to budge. HUCA already once. Second guy after an hour and a half hold for call back says only NYC (LGA, JFK, EWR). I know that's incorrect and at the same time don't want anything negative put in my PNR.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Because your ticket now has a connection time under MCT, you can ask for any reasonable change and DL will give it to you. Changing to SWF should not be a problem, just be prepared with the exact flight info to read off to the agent when you call. The one thing you absolutely should not do is keep your ticket as-is. If you try to check a bag, the computer might not let you due to the connection being under MCT. And if you misconnect, DL technically isn't obligated to help you, since you had an "illegal" ticket.

I took your advice and tried to feed him the exact flights and connections. Doesn't seem to be working. But remaining hopeful.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:22 pm

Flying LGA-ATL-CUN on WN with a 1hr connection in ATL. Is that enough time? WN will check my luggage through to CUN, right? I never flew through ATL before. TIA!

Last edited by Rubinae; Jul 14, 2017 at 6:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.