Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:13 am

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
Will be flying TPA-ATL-FCO next month and see options for :44 layover or 2:15... 44min obviously meets the MCT but feels a bit tight. 2:15 feels excessive...

Any strong opinions or advice on which to choose? [FWIW I'm a rather fit, active person traveling solo, no mobility issues or heavy carryon]
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:16 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by elsenor
Will be flying TPA-ATL-FCO next month and see options for :44 layover or 2:15... 44min obviously meets the MCT but feels a bit tight. 2:15 feels excessive...

Any strong opinions or advice on which to choose? [FWIW I'm a rather fit, active person traveling solo, no mobility issues or heavy carryon]
Where are you sitting TPA-ATL? Front?
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by dcadwell
Where are you sitting TPA-ATL? Front?
Since it's a work trip, it would be in main (so mid to rear) unless I paid out of pocket to move up.

Last edited by elsenor; Jan 9, 2024 at 11:20 am Reason: doh the quote
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:23 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium

Is there a later ATL-FCO flight that same day (or some way to get there by connecting through AMS or CDG)? If so, 44 minutes is fine as you'll have a backup if you don't make it. If there is no same day backup, I would take the 2:15 connection to be safe.
elsenor and beachmouse like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Is there a later ATL-FCO flight that same day (or some way to get there by connecting through AMS or CDG)? If so, 44 minutes is fine as you'll have a backup if you don't make it. If there is no same day backup, I would take the 2:15 connection to be safe.
Yes just as you described, via AMS or CDG. But are hours later and would definitely put me much later than the others I'm meeting. I'll probably just err on the safer side and do the 2:15. A bit of wind or rain delay at TPA or ATL and I'd be cooked.
LoganFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:31 am

Yes just as you described, via AMS or CDG. But are hours later and would definitely put me much later than the others I'm meeting. I'll probably just err on the safer side and do the 2:15. A bit of wind or rain delay at TPA or ATL and I'd be cooked.
This is true. Anything like we had this morning and will have again on Friday could make things interesting.

I might be inclined to keep the 44-minute but totally understand erring on the side of caution here.
elsenor likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gopher99
I have loads of Delta vouchers that I needed to use up, so I had go via the US. Normally I fly via Paris or Amsterdam as I am Flying Blue.
Delta vouchers can be used for wholly AF/KL operated flight reservations. Just must call in.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dcadwell
This is true. Anything like we had this morning and will have again on Friday could make things interesting.

I might be inclined to keep the 44-minute but totally understand erring on the side of caution here.
I was lucky to get out of there yesterday morning, apparently before the tower was evacuated. I've now had weather issues in 3 of the 4 seasons in ATL. Maybe all 4. And always on connections. Unless completely unavoidable, it is 2 hours minimum for me.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I was lucky to get out of there yesterday morning, apparently before the tower was evacuated. I've now had weather issues in 3 of the 4 seasons in ATL. Maybe all 4. And always on connections. Unless completely unavoidable, it is 2 hours minimum for me.
Sorry to hear; I saw some of the delays yesterday and they were absolutely hideous. But then, so was the weather (particularly on the south side).

I'm hoping that the incoming stuff on Friday hits after I depart.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.