Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2023, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
Can anyone advise minimum connection time going from RDU-ATL-FCO? Delta has changed our schedule 4 times already. We have a 1 hr 7 min connection in ATL. Will we change terminals, and if so, how easy or difficult is that? I have not been in Atlanta for several years. And we originally did not book such a short layover. When booked it was 1 hr 50 min. We travel May 11. Should we expect any weather problems?

I spent an hour chatting with Delta, error messages and all. I found an earlier flight out of RDU. But the Delta agent said "oh you have no availability in Comfort Plus on the ATL-FCO flight", despite already holding seats and a reservation. I don't understand this part.
MCT at ATL for this itin is still 40 min as indicated at the top of this thread. 1 hr 7 min should be fine. All concourses are connected airside at ATL. There are no security or immigrations checks for domestic to international connections in US (they just check passport when boarding). If there is weather in the area, you might want to see if you can get on earlier an flight, but otherwise I wouldn't bother.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 1:40 pm

Programs: Hilton, Delta, Hyatt, MGM
Can anyone advise minimum connection time going from RDU-ATL-FCO? Delta has changed our schedule 4 times already. We have a 1 hr 7 min connection in ATL. Will we change terminals, and if so, how easy or difficult is that? I have not been in Atlanta for several years. And we originally did not book such a short layover. When booked it was 1 hr 50 min. We travel May 11. Should we expect any weather problems?

I spent an hour chatting with Delta, error messages and all. I found an earlier flight out of RDU. But the Delta agent said "oh you have no availability in Comfort Plus on the ATL-FCO flight", despite already holding seats and a reservation. I don't understand this part.
I'd feel comfortable overall with that layover. Even if you were to land at T and had to get to F, you'll be okay.

Delta rarely IDBs passengers, but either way, I'd recommend avoiding the chat feature if at all possible, as I've had agents that don't know what a schedule change is. The phone agents aren't perfect, but they're way better than the chat agents.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
MCT at ATL for this itin is still 40 min as indicated at the top of this thread. 1 hr 7 min should be fine. All concourses are connected airside at ATL. There are no security or immigrations checks for domestic to international connections in US (they just check passport when boarding). If there is weather in the area, you might want to see if you can get on earlier an flight, but otherwise I wouldn't bother.
Ok thank you. Will I be running or walking? I will check out airport maps to get an idea.

I’d still prefer an earlier flight but Delta chat customer service couldn’t put me on an earlier flight because they said ATL-FCO was the problem. I’ll call them this week.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by vegasbased
I'd feel comfortable overall with that layover. Even if you were to land at T and had to get to F, you'll be okay.

Delta rarely IDBs passengers, but either way, I'd recommend avoiding the chat feature if at all possible, as I've had agents that don't know what a schedule change is. The phone agents aren't perfect, but they're way better than the chat agents.
Thanks. Yes chat is less than worthless.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok thank you. Will I be running or walking? I will check out airport maps to get an idea.

I’d still prefer an earlier flight but Delta chat customer service couldn’t put me on an earlier flight because they said ATL-FCO was the problem. I’ll call them this week.
There should be no need to run. You should be able to get between any two gates at ATL within 20 minutes with a brisk walking pace. If you are late arriving, you could potentially flag down a cart. There are later evening flights to AMS and CDG. So even if you miss ATL-FCO flight they can still likely get you to FCO with same arrival date via AF/KL connections. If you are on earlier DL214 ATL-FCO flight, there is also a later DL66 ATL-FCO flight.
AeRoSpaceman and vegasbased like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 11, 2023 at 2:05 pm
Old Apr 11, 2023, 2:26 pm

Programs: Hilton, Delta, Hyatt, MGM

As xliioper said, you can flag down a cart if needed, but if you're going from T, A, or B to E Gates, the Plane Train is going to be the fastest way, but from C or D to E Gates, it's probably best to walk to your gate. If you're going to F, then the train is going to be best regardless of your arriving concourse, as it is a bit of a hike to walk through E to get there IMO.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 3:16 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I will say that the issues from summer thunderstorm season are very real at ATL and from now to about October, I’d prefer a 2+ hour connection for a last or only flight of the day scenario because I’ve been burned by that before.

But otherwise it’s a very easy airport to connect at despite its size. The Plane Train runs very frequently until about 9:00pm or so.
GagaPilot likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL DM

More than likely a 1 hr 7 min connection in ATL will be fine, but leaves almost no room for error (such as a late inbound aircraft, etc). If you see an earlier RDU-ATL that you like, CALL DL (never, ever attempt the chat feature, the agents are useless) and tell them you have had a schedule change and would prefer that flight instead. Have the flight number of what you want ready when you call.

If you keep the 1 hr 7 min connection, have "backup plans" ready to go in case of a delay, such as a later ATL-FCO flight if you aren't on the last one, or routings via CDG or AMS instead. If you have to employ one of your backups, call DL to get protected or rebooked on the applicable flight as soon as you see a delay. My experience is that having backup plans are extremely important, and be upfront and firm (but polite) when you have to call in, and tell them what you want. Don't let an agent try and find you something, many don't know what they are doing and when IROPs hit, time is of the essence before the rebooking options get snatched up.

Not trying to discourage you or anything, just saying be prepared. I dealt with a trans-Atlantic IROP a few weeks ago and having backup plans ready to go saved the day.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 1:28 am

Programs: I've gone underground!

You won’t need to run. You’ll almost certainly go multiple terminals (eg B->E), but each terminal stop adds only ~2 minutes to the plane train ride.

Unless the train is super crowded, or it’s late at night and they’re doing construction, there isn’t a time where walking from one terminal to another is faster.

>1 hr is totally fine unless there’s weather.

Last edited by emma dog; Apr 12, 2023 at 1:33 am
Old May 13, 2023, 8:23 am

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum
Hi,i bought a ticket CDG CUN CUN ATL CDG from AF, I am a little bit worry on the CUN ATL CDG I have a 1H30 connection in ATL i wont be worry if i was alone or with my wife but we are with our 4yo daughter?
Guess it wont be easy one but should be ok?
Old May 13, 2023, 8:59 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by Sybela
Hi,i bought a ticket CDG CUN CUN ATL CDG from AF, I am a little bit worry on the CUN ATL CDG I have a 1H30 connection in ATL i wont be worry if i was alone or with my wife but we are with our 4yo daughter?
That's just above the minimum connecting time of 1:25. I wouldn't be particularly comfortable with this, but depending on your specific flights, it may not be a problem since the last ATL-CDG flight departs at 11:30 PM.
Old May 13, 2023, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Sybela
Are you on DL or AF for ATL-CDG? If DL, you won't need to collect bags at ATL, you'll still clear immigration. However bags will transfer since ATL has ITI for bags. (Both flights must be operated by DL to qualify) Just make sure at checkin at CUN they attach the purple ITI tag to your bags.

If on AF metal, in addition to immigration, you have to collect bags, bring through customs and drop on bag recheck belt. This will take extra time.

If on AF, AF always departs from F. DL could be E or F.

Also inbound from CUN you will likely land at E. Passenger arriving into E are directed to use E immigration if connecting, or go over to F if ATL is final. (All flights arriving into F use F regardless, so following info is only if arrive in E)
  • If flying DL to CDG it really doesn't matter which you use, as Your bags will transfer automatically. (Although I recommend E as it is usually quicker to get through security and has Precheck)
  • If flying onward with AF, your bags will be sent to E (as you're connecting in ATL) for you to pickup and bring through customs, and drop at baggage recheck, thus you need to use E.
Old May 13, 2023, 2:09 pm

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Are you on DL or AF for ATL-CDG? If DL, you won't need to collect bags at ATL, you'll still clear immigration. However bags will transfer since ATL has ITI for bags. (Both flights must be operated by DL to qualify) Just make sure at checkin at CUN they attach the purple ITI tag to your bags.

If on AF metal, in addition to immigration, you have to collect bags, bring through customs and drop on bag recheck belt. This will take extra time.

If on AF, AF always departs from F. DL could be E or F.

Also inbound from CUN you will likely land at E. Passenger arriving into E are directed to use E immigration if connecting, or go over to F if ATL is final. (All flights arriving into F use F regardless, so following info is only if arrive in E)
  • If flying DL to CDG it really doesn't matter which you use, as Your bags will transfer automatically. (Although I recommend E as it is usually quicker to get through security and has Precheck)
  • If flying onward with AF, your bags will be sent to E (as you're connecting in ATL) for you to pickup and bring through customs, and drop at baggage recheck, thus you need to use E.
thanks for the very helpfull answer !
I am on AF for the ATL CDG
Old Jul 19, 2023, 1:18 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Trying to book SEA-ATL-EWR. For some reason the routing is not showing up on DL website, Google Flights, ITA Matrix, etc.

SEA-ATL 1:47pm-9:43pm
(1 hour 4 minute layover)
ATL-EWR 10:47pm-1:00am+1

If I book separately, it should be all good, right? Considering the MCT is 40 minutes for D-D. I will be checking bags.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Crossinator
Trying to book SEA-ATL-EWR. For some reason the routing is not showing up on DL website, Google Flights, ITA Matrix, etc.

SEA-ATL 1:47pm-9:43pm
(1 hour 4 minute layover)
ATL-EWR 10:47pm-1:00am+1

If I book separately, it should be all good, right? Considering the MCT is 40 minutes for D-D. I will be checking bags.
Not a very frequent flyer, or familiar with ATL specifically, but I’d hesitate to book a tight connection separately, since AIUI that reduces their responsibility in the case of delays or other misconnects. I wonder if there’s a way to force it through the website, maybe with a multi-city search? Or I might try calling them and seeing if an agent can book those specific flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.