Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2022, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by fudgeukraine
Funnily enough, I'm flying out Wed 30th and my routing is
  • EDI-AMS
  • 2h 45m
  • AMS-BOS
  • 2h 25m
  • BOS-MCO
All on the same ticket with KLM/Delta. So from what you're saying in BOS we'll have to pick up our bag and then re-check it (will this be in the main check-in, or is there like a transfer section in the luggage pick-up to just place it down again?)

Thanks
​​​​​​
At BOS, you'll arrive at terminal E and depart from terminal A due to that airport's unique setup. You can either take a well-signed 10 minute walk through a parking garage or take a shuttle bus around the airport to switch terminals. Either way, you'll then have to go through security at Terminal A.

Last edited by LoganFlyer; Mar 28, 2022 at 5:03 pm
Old Mar 28, 2022, 3:58 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, DL FO
Originally Posted by cubeman
I was FC from MCO-ATL-LAS

Gate Landed: T4 (ATL)
Gate Departure: F1 (ATL)
35 minute connection

No Delta porsche, Walked down to the train and then made my walk to F1 and upon arrival they were doing the "Everybody/Final boarding" and that was with just a brisk walk.

Has someone managed to go T1-F1? Longest possible connection walk no?
Not to make a connection, but one time when I got stranded overnight in ATL I walked all the way from F1 to T1 to pass the time. Took about 40 minutes IIRC.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 4:29 am

Hi,

Flying DUB-ATL-LAS in a couple of weeks. Since DUB does US Preclearance, does this mean we land in ATL like a domestic flight and we can head to the LAS departure gate without any security checks/passport control? Apologies if I'm not making sense, this is my first time flying ex-DUB.

Thanks.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
​​​​​​
At BOS, you'll arrive at terminal E and depart from terminal A due to that airport's unique setup. You can either take a well-signed 10 minute walk through a parking garage or take a shuttle bus around the airport to switch terminals. Either way, you'll then have to go through security at Terminal A.
DL now is having some domesticflights depart from E.

Originally Posted by Daventry
Hi,

Flying DUB-ATL-LAS in a couple of weeks. Since DUB does US Preclearance, does this mean we land in ATL like a domestic flight and we can head to the LAS departure gate without any security checks/passport control? Apologies if I'm not making sense, this is my first time flying ex-DUB.

Thanks.
Correct. Also Bags will transfer automatically since you'll have cleared US customs at DUB.
Daventry likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 8:07 am

Looking at some flights coming from CUN - ATL - MSP - YWG.

The only areas needed for customs is arriving in ATL from CUN. How much time should I ensure I have for that connection. I am not worried about the others.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
[At BOS,] DL now is having some domesticflights depart from E.
That's international flights only. All domestic flights are still flying out of terminal A.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bravada04
Looking at some flights coming from CUN - ATL - MSP - YWG.

The only areas needed for customs is arriving in ATL from CUN. How much time should I ensure I have for that connection. I am not worried about the others.
MCT international to domestic is 1h30. Two hours is probably fine, especially if you have Global Entry.
Old May 23, 2022, 5:02 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Looking for some guidance on behalf of my brother (who's a very infrequent flyer).

He's looking to fly from Europe to ORF in late July. (He's already got the ticket on DL, but there's been a sched change which breaks his plans, so I'm trying to help him find the best alternative to request).

I think his best option is CDG-ATL (on AF) and then ATL-ORF (on DL). Assuming we can convince DL to put him on the AF TATL, then my question is about the connection time in ATL. There appear to be ATL-ORF flights every ~90 minutes, so he's got some options. There is a connection to ORF right on the MCT (1:25) ... but I worry that's tight for an infrequent traveler, especially as he'll have to go through US immigration in ATL (he's Canadian, not US) ... and of course there are always the risk of thunderstorms in ATL in July.

The next connection to ORF would give him a total connection time of just over 3 hours ... which would then be a ridiculously long connection time for me (an experienced traveler) but I'm thinking that might be a safer alternative to book for an inexperienced traveler, who's never even been to ATL before (so he will have to be exploring the plane train for the first time, etc, etc).

My hunch is that this summer will be a busy travel summer, meaning that flights will be full ... so if he did miss the 1:25 connection, it might be several flights later before he could get a seat ... and so booking the longer connection from the outset might be the safest option. But then again, maybe I'm underestimating how efficient ATL can be ... and I hate to make him sit around for a long connection in ATL if it's not needed.

Any thoughts or input on all this would be much appreciated.
Old May 23, 2022, 5:22 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Booking right on the MCT puts him at decent odds for a three minute schedule change tweak that would get him rebooked onto a later flight anyways. I’d go with the three hour option at this point so he at least can pick his own seat when there are more choices available
AeRoSpaceman and canopus27 like this.
Old May 23, 2022, 5:34 pm

I would go for the 3 hour connection for the reasons you stated.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:16 pm

Location: Pacific Northwest (BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP)
Transfer in ATL from Domestic Arrival (1st PNR) to International Departure (2nd PNR)

Right now I have confirmed tickets on BA226 ATL-LHR on 17 Nov. BA226 departs at 9:45pm.

We were planning to fly from SEA-ATL on 17 Nov but the only direct flight arrives 6:49pm.

Right now, these will be 2 different PNRs, so bags will not be checked through.

So as it is right now, we have roughly 2+ hours to pick up bags at Alaska's baggage claim, then recheck them at BA's ticket counter and go back through security.

Trying to work out whether it is best to redo the BA PNR so that I include the Alaska flights. Can it be done in that amount of time?

I think it would be the wise choice to make it all a single PNR and have the bags transferred for us.

Would welcome your thoughts. Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by Wanderer; Jun 26, 2022 at 9:41 pm
Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:09 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
It’s do-able, but a pain in the neck. You’d be picking up bags from the domestic terminal and then taking a shuttle bus to international to check in. Alaska uses D gates, so it will take ~15-30 minutes to get to baggage claim once you get off the plane then another 15-30 minutes for the shuttle (it runs every 15 minutes and takes roughly 15 minutes).

In theory it would take you roughly 1-1.5 hrs to get off the plane, get your luggage, and get to the international terminal.

Any chance you could stick with carryon only?
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:56 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by emma dog
It’s do-able, but a pain in the neck.

Any chance you could stick with carryon only?
This.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:22 am

Location: Pacific Northwest (BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP)
emma dog -

Much appreciate info - we're headed to a 15 day cruise so not very likely carryon would suffice.

Looking now at either arriving a day early and staying in ATL Hilton, or alternately taking a much longer 2-flight option out of SEA that gets us to ATL a couple hours earlier.
emma dog likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:32 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Right now I have confirmed tickets on BA226 ATL-LHR on 17 Nov. BA226 departs at 9:45pm.

We were planning to fly from SEA-ATL on 17 Nov but the only direct flight arrives 6:49pm.

Right now, these will be 2 different PNRs, so bags will not be checked through.

So as it is right now, we have roughly 2+ hours to pick up bags at Alaska's baggage claim, then recheck them at BA's ticket counter and go back through security.

Trying to work out whether it is best to redo the BA PNR so that I include the Alaska flights. Can it be done in that amount of time?

I think it would be the wise choice to make it all a single PNR and have the bags transferred for us.

Would welcome your thoughts. Many thanks in advance.
This is the Delta forum so not the best place for information on an AS to BA transfer. I looked in the Alaska forum and found this thread that implies that AS will interline bags to BA on separate tickets. Alaska to American Through-Check (Interline) Bags on Separate Tickets? See posts starting at post 16. I couldn't find the information to back that up on the links provided though, so it's probably worth calling.

I'm not sure if you're wedded to OW, but SEA and ATL are both DL hubs and served by multiple flights per day. ​​​​​​​I see nonstops arriving at 1:50pm, 3:09pm, and 5:38pm on Nov 17. If AS won't check your bags through and you can't go carry-on only as emma dog suggested, I'd book one of those earlier Delta flights to give yourself more time to get to domestic baggage claim, on the shuttle, and checked in at the international terminal.
Wanderer and AeRoSpaceman like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.