Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2022, 7:28 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
I was FC from MCO-ATL-LAS

Gate Landed: T4 (ATL)
Gate Departure: F1 (ATL)
35 minute connection

No Delta porsche, Walked down to the train and then made my walk to F1 and upon arrival they were doing the "Everybody/Final boarding" and that was with just a brisk walk.

Has someone managed to go T1-F1? Longest possible connection walk no?
Old Mar 28, 2022, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AMEX Platinum
Thanks for that, more reassuring! I think the worry is that I can't get a clear-cut answer anywhere if 1) Luggage needs rechecked (Think it'll get passed through) and 2) the security (few forums say no need; already cleared in MCO so just walk to the gate.

Thanks
Old Mar 28, 2022, 9:14 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by fudgeukraine
Thanks for that, more reassuring! I think the worry is that I can't get a clear-cut answer anywhere if 1) Luggage needs rechecked (Think it'll get passed through) and 2) the security (few forums say no need; already cleared in MCO so just walk to the gate.

Thanks
On the itinerary you described, your luggage will be checked through and there is no need to reclear security.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 9:17 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond

Thanks
Flying MCO-ATL-AMS on a single ticket, you will not need to re-check your luggage or re-clear security at ATL. There is also no outbound immigration checkpoint in the US. You should receive boarding passes for both flights at MCO, and the only real difference between connecting to AMS and connecting to a domestic flight is the passport check and slightly earlier gate closing time.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mattp1987
Flying MCO-ATL-AMS on a single ticket, you will not need to re-check your luggage or re-clear security at ATL. There is also no outbound immigration checkpoint in the US. You should receive boarding passes for both flights at MCO, and the only real difference between connecting to AMS and connecting to a domestic flight is the passport check and slightly earlier gate closing time.
There is an outbound immigration checkpoint of sorts but it happens entirely behind the scenes- the airline transmits a passenger and crew manifest that includes passport numbers electronically to CBP at some point between when the boarding door is closed and when the plane leaves US air space in lieu of an in-person outbound checkpoint.

This data is used to verify people who arrived on a non-US passport didn’t overstay their visa or visa waiver and is oddly customer-friendly by US federal government standards.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by mattp1987
Originally Posted by beachmouse
There is an outbound immigration checkpoint of sorts but it happens entirely behind the scenes- the airline transmits a passenger and crew manifest that includes passport numbers electronically to CBP at some point between when the boarding door is closed and when the plane leaves US air space in lieu of an in-person outbound checkpoint.

This data is used to verify people who arrived on a non-US passport didn’t overstay their visa or visa waiver and is oddly customer-friendly by US federal government standards.
Thanks both. Not sure if it matters but the actual routing is

MCO - ATL (Delta), ATL - AMS (KLM), AMS - EDI (KLM) so 1 further flight, but it does sound like it'll all go straight through to EDI and Security will be sorted out in MCO, so should be good.

I had a worry that on a trip a while back we had to pick up our bag and put it back on a luggage, but checking with my wife, it's because we went International > Domestic so must've been down to customs
Old Mar 28, 2022, 10:55 am

Thanks both. Not sure if it matters but the actual routing is

MCO - ATL (Delta), ATL - AMS (KLM), AMS - EDI (KLM) so 1 further flight, but it does sound like it'll all go straight through to EDI and Security will be sorted out in MCO, so should be good.

I had a worry that on a trip a while back we had to pick up our bag and put it back on a luggage, but checking with my wife, it's because we went International > Domestic so must've been down to customs
You will have to retrieve and re-check your luggage and go through security again at your first entry point into the US (e.g. if you're doing EDI-AMS-ATL-MCO, it would be in ATL)
Old Mar 28, 2022, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by UnevenGray
You will have to retrieve and re-check your luggage and go through security again at your first entry point into the US (e.g. if you're doing EDI-AMS-ATL-MCO, it would be in ATL)
Thanks for this, is this confirmed as others have said it'll be passed straight through. Is there any way to check and confirm? As ideally want to avoid it with such a tight connection
Old Mar 28, 2022, 11:25 am

Thanks for this, is this confirmed as others have said it'll be passed straight through. Is there any way to check and confirm? As ideally want to avoid it with such a tight connection
As long as it’s a single ticket, baggage is checked through to your final destination. Like many Americans, my home airport is a ‘spoke’ ( I’m up in the Florida panhandle) and I’ve never had to recheck a bag at a US hub on an international departure because I always do single ticket.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 11:28 am

As long as it’s a single ticket, baggage is checked through to your final destination. Like many Americans, my home airport is a ‘spoke’ ( I’m up in the Florida panhandle) and I’ve never had to recheck a bag at a US hub on an international departure because I always do single ticket.

Yeah bought direct via KLM.com and using KLM or Delta codeshare metal, all on 1 ticket.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 12:44 pm

You can check bags across separate tickets as well, Delta will absolutely do this across their own or partner tickets.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 1:16 pm

The direction matters here. MCO-ATL-AMS-EDI, you won't have to check your bag again or re-clear security. That's why they allow a shorter layover. EDI-AMS-ATL-MCO, you have to check your back and re-clear security. If you're flying this itinerary on the return, I'd bet your layover in ATL is at least 1 hour and 30 minutes
Old Mar 28, 2022, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by UnevenGray
The direction matters here. MCO-ATL-AMS-EDI, you won't have to check your bag again or re-clear security. That's why they allow a shorter layover. EDI-AMS-ATL-MCO, you have to check your back and re-clear security. If you're flying this itinerary on the return, I'd bet your layover in ATL is at least 1 hour and 30 minutes
Funnily enough, I'm flying out Wed 30th and my routing is
  • EDI-AMS
  • 2h 45m
  • AMS-BOS
  • 2h 25m
  • BOS-MCO
All on the same ticket with KLM/Delta. So from what you're saying in BOS we'll have to pick up our bag and then re-check it (will this be in the main check-in, or is there like a transfer section in the luggage pick-up to just place it down again?)

Thanks
Old Mar 28, 2022, 3:38 pm

• EDI-AMS
  • 2h 45m
  • AMS-BOS
  • 2h 25m
  • BOS-MCO
All on the same ticket with KLM/Delta. So from what you're saying in BOS we'll have to pick up our bag and then re-check it (will this be in the main check-in, or is there like a transfer section in the luggage pick-up to just place it down again?)

Thanks
Should just be a pick it up so you can present yourself and your bags when you enter the country and then drop it onward with your bag already tagged to your final destination.

And then because, oh joy, you had access to bags that may contain items not allowed in cabin (I’ve had large sharp kitchen knives in my checked bag on more than one occasion) you also get to go through a bonus TSA security screening after bag drop for your connecting flight.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
  • EDI-AMS
  • 2h 45m
  • AMS-BOS
  • 2h 25m
  • BOS-MCO

Thanks

Correct. In Boston, you'll go through border control, collect your bag from a carousel, deposit it somewhere nearby, and go through security with your hand luggage before heading to your next flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.