Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2021, 12:13 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by gooselee
Just some points of clarification:
- The landside train that goes from North/South Terminals (and domestic baggage claim) to the Rental Car Center is called the "SkyTrain." The "Plane Train" is the underground one that runs airside between concourses.
- Unless arriving on a precleared flight with no checked bags, you can't use the Plane Train to exit out of the domestic terminal where the SkyTrain is located. Int'l flights and int'l arriving baggage dump out of the International Terminal (connected to Concourse F) and you can't go back airside without a connecting flight (nd re-checking bags). International Terminal to rental car center is serviced only by a shuttle van.
Yea, I generally don't check bags, and AC uses YYZ pre-clearance before flying into ATL.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
This. It's a looooong hallway and pretty much always deserted.

If I ever had to sleep at ATL (which would be quite the event since i live <20 mins away) I might actually choose this hallway over the Plane Train rainforest tunnel between A and B.
The rainforest hall is my favorite. I wish they’d just extend that the length of the airport.
exwannabe, beachmouse and Zorak like this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 12:57 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I've got my first trip since the pandemic began coming up on Wednesday and three hours between flights. If I don't feel like paying for SkyClub access, is E Concourse still pretty lightly used around lunch time? I'm looking for a quiet and socially distanced spot where I can curl up with an e-reader for a bit.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 1:13 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I've got my first trip since the pandemic began coming up on Wednesday and three hours between flights. If I don't feel like paying for SkyClub access, is E Concourse still pretty lightly used around lunch time? I'm looking for a quiet and socially distanced spot where I can curl up with an e-reader for a bit.
I have not flown since December, but during lunchtime E and F were very quiet with gate areas being empty. I recommend F instead of E due to it feeling more airy.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I have not flown since December, but during lunchtime E and F were very quiet with gate areas being empty. I recommend F instead of E due to it feeling more airy.
Thanks- probably pretty similar now.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
The very end of E before the escalators to the E<>F tunnel has always been deserted for me, both pre- and post-COVID. There's usually always an unused gate somewhere in E, as well.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 10:51 am

Programs: Delta PM
The very end of E before the escalators to the E<>F tunnel has always been deserted for me, both pre- and post-COVID. There's usually always an unused gate somewhere in E, as well.
Depending on the time of day, T can be pretty empty as well.
gooselee likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 5:21 pm

E was indeed its usual mid day sleepy self but around 1:00pm they started closing some gates by the giant ear of corn in order to set up covid quick test areas for the Rome and Amsterdam flights.
gooselee likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by beachmouse
E was indeed its usual mid day sleepy self but around 1:00pm they started closing some gates by the giant ear of corn in order to set up covid quick test areas for the Rome and Amsterdam flights.
I love that ear of corn for some reason! Anytime I'm in that "wing" of E I can't help but snap a photo of it.
flyerCO, beachmouse and Zorak like this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I love that ear of corn for some reason! Anytime I'm in that "wing" of E I can't help but snap a photo of it.
Sounds like the bear at DOH for me. Always take a photo. (It looks to me like it's been sentenced to electrocution)

AeRoSpaceman and gooselee like this.

Last edited by flyerCO; Mar 21, 2021 at 2:26 pm
Old Mar 20, 2021, 8:26 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I think it has Flying Kernel status
sethb and gooselee like this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Gotta get it up somehow, I guess.

Originally Posted by Zorak
I think it has Flying Kernel status
I think that's Flying Kernels status.
renila and Zorak like this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 1:00 pm

Programs: Delta
Re-invigorating the "Can I make my connection in X minutes" question

Hi folks,

Here is the dealio. For Memorial Day Weekend: Most recent flight schedule change with Delta afforded us the opportunity to connect into ATL and hop on a 767-400 to our final dest (completely domestic flight). But, to make that connection onto the 767-400, we have a 1 hour 13 minute layover in ATL.
If flight #1 is on time, are we cutting it too tight? We are sitting in First Class on both legs, so having First Class on Leg #1 will at least let us beat the less animated de-boarders off the plane.

Shiny faux penny for your thoughts.

Thank you!
Old Apr 4, 2021, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CaptainBiscoff
we have a 1 hour 13 minute layover in ATL. If flight #1 is on time, are we cutting it too tight?
Not cutting it too tight at all. If your 767 is flying out of E like mine was last month, you'll probably even have time to stop in the SkyClub for a drink and a bite. Given the lack of F service like PDBs, no reason to board early.
CaptainBiscoff likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 1:14 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by CaptainBiscoff
Here is the dealio. For Memorial Day Weekend: Most recent flight schedule change with Delta afforded us the opportunity to connect into ATL and hop on a 767-400 to our final dest (completely domestic flight). But, to make that connection onto the 767-400, we have a 1 hour 13 minute layover in ATL.
If flight #1 is on time, are we cutting it too tight? We are sitting in First Class on both legs, so having First Class on Leg #1 will at least let us beat the less animated de-boarders off the plane.
If flight #1 is on time then 1h13m is so much time that it's not remotely worth worrying about

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.