Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2022, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by YellowRoseTX
I've tried asking for an earlier flight. I'm main cabin and they want $136 to switch it.. A main cabin BHM to ATL if I purchased it outright is only $126, and both my current BHM-ATL flight and an earlier BHM-ATL flight are priced identical, so it kinda made me mad. My overall round trip flight is now $136 more than when I booked it -- and that's how they price it.
You're probably fine, but $136 for peace of mind on your first international trip sounds like a smart move. Stuff happens when traveling, and most of it costs you time. The most relaxed people are the ones who got there a little early.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
If you're on a 717, you're on DL mainline, not a commuter.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Your passport and any covid documents are formally checked before you get on your first flight in Birmingham. There's typically a second brief passport check before you get on your international flight. The purpose of that is to make sure no one dropped their passport in a toilet during a restroom break in between check-in and boarding. (Airlines face huge fines if they transport people to a foreign country without proper documents so they're careful about that)

No security or immigration on a domestic to international connection in Atlanta. All gates are in a common 'airside' area at the airport so you never hit a checkpoint for connectionsunless you're going from an international to domestic flight there.

Delta is pretty generous in terms of the time blocks it sets up for flight schedules. The good news is that your Birmingham-Atlanta flight is scheduled for 15-20 minutes more than it really needs. The bad news is that because of air space congestion over Atlanta, short flights into ATL are prone to getting 15-20 minute 'hold at origin' orders from Atlanta air traffic control because it's safer, better for the environment and cheaper for the airline to do it that way rather than burn fuel in a holding pattern over Georgia waiting for a landing slot.

So you probably would get into ATL just fine for your connection even with a slight delay.

However the 'what happens if it goes wrong?' is pretty high, IMO. A hotel in ATL you'd want to stay at can easily be more than $136 a night, you'd have to do some quick checking about whether you'd have to do another quick covid test at ATL in order to be admitted to Italy and also have to deal with trying to cancel and rebook any first night hotel before you got marked as a 'no show' and that can be annoying.

I've had a domestic to international misconnect at ATL despite a 2.5 hour planned connection there (a thunderstorm led to a ground stop and it was a mess and a half to get the system back to where it should be again) and after that experience I'd do the $136 flight change and call it reasonable insurance in making the connection and not missing precious time in Italy.
Just to be clear. Passport and COVID checks are done by airline. "Formally " makes sound like an immigration agent is going to check documents. As there no "exit" immigration in US, no immigration agents will be seen. The airline is just checking you have correct documents for entry, as a CYA measure. (They get huge fines if they don't, and you lack required documents)
Old Mar 5, 2022, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by mot29
YellowRose
Only 1x day ATL-FCO, if you miss the connection you would have to overnight in ATL.
extremely doubtful. in the event of a misconnect OP would most likely be rerouted through AMS/CDG.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
extremely doubtful. in the event of a misconnect OP would most likely be rerouted through AMS/CDG.
Though a CDG connection can be a less than ideal experience for an inexperienced international traveler
Old Mar 5, 2022, 7:41 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
One hour is plenty. And flights from BHM are only held if there’s severe weather. I really wouldn’t worry about it at all.

Connecting on a BHM-ATL-FCO trip is functionally no different than flying BHM-ATL-TPA. There are some folks who want super long connections just in case. Some want minimum connections. One hour is a reasonable time where you’ll walk off the plane, catch the train, and walk onto your next flight with maybe 10-15 minutes of sitting at the gate.
AeRoSpaceman and gooselee like this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by YellowRoseTX
This is my first time flying internationally. I have a Delta (but maybe really Envoy?) flight from Birmingham to Atlanta on a 717. Then exactly 1 hour to connect to my flight to Rome (assuming an on-time arrival.) It sounds like that should be sufficient, but I want to be sure I understand the process when I arrive at Atlanta. Do I simply have to get off one plane and go find the other plane? I see that I don't have to go thru security again. But I saw an article that mentioned going thru Passport Control and then going thru the baggage area to pass thru customs. Does any of that apply to me or is that only for arriving international flights? I understand Delta requires a Covid test and I think both airports and airlines may still require masks. But is there anything special Covid-related I will need to do at ATL ? Thanks for your feedback.
People are making you worry for no reason. 1 hour is plenty of time. Your connection will be no differnt than a domestic connection. Do leave a little extra time for check in in BHM they will check your passport and either your vaccination certificate or your negative test there.

Sometimes flights are delayed, but usualy they are not. If your flight is delayed more than 30 minutes you may miss your flight, but they will rebook you on another route that will get you to Rome the same day. Contrary to above comments transiting another European airport will not be a traumatic experience just follow the signs that apply to you and you will have no problem (there will be signs in English).
Old Mar 5, 2022, 5:07 pm

Connecting to Belize from SYR and/or JFK

Our traveling companions booked on Delta from Syracuse to Belize, and we booked JFK to Belize. Originally they had well over an hour to make the connection and we had almost 2 hours. But then Delta changed the flight schedules and the new flight info means:

Passengers from SYR: 40 minutes between flights (arriving 9:05, leaving 9:45)

Passengers from JFK: 81 minutes between flights (arrive at 8:24, leaving at 9:45).

my understanding is that the folks from SYR will just need to rebook as it’s just not realistic for a 40 minute connection to an international flight. Those of us flying from JFK should be okay as long as they don’t eff with the schedules anymore.

full disclosure: the last two times we’ve flown, we’ve missed connections due to airline schedule changes after we booked. So we’re anxious especially since there’s only one flight per day from ATL to BZE.

Last edited by racandee; Mar 5, 2022 at 5:13 pm
Old Mar 5, 2022, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by racandee
Our traveling companions booked on Delta from Syracuse to Belize, and we booked JFK to Belize. Originally they had well over an hour to make the connection and we had almost 2 hours. But then Delta changed the flight schedules and the new flight info means:

Passengers from SYR: 40 minutes between flights (arriving 9:05, leaving 9:45)

Passengers from JFK: 81 minutes between flights (arrive at 8:24, leaving at 9:45).

my understanding is that the folks from SYR will just need to rebook as it’s just not realistic for a 40 minute connection to an international flight. Those of us flying from JFK should be okay as long as they don’t eff with the schedules anymore.

full disclosure: the last two times we’ve flown, we’ve missed connections due to airline schedule changes after we booked. So we’re anxious especially since there’s only one flight per day from ATL to BZE.
While 40 minutes is tight for ATL, it is actually a legal connection for connecting from a domestic to international flight on Delta at ATL and meets the minimum connecting time (MCT). Since there are no earlier morning flights from SYR to ATL, they would have to fly to ATL the night before to go earlier (note that airlines do not pay for your hotel if you book an overnight connection).

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 5, 2022 at 5:53 pm
Old Mar 5, 2022, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
As mentioned here a number of times, connecting from a domestic flight to an international flight is basically no different than connecting between domestic flights (you don't go through immigrations and customs when exiting the US). While 40 minutes is tight for ATL, it is actually a legal connection for connecting from a domestic to international flight on Delta at ATL. While they might be willing to move your companions to an earlier flight, they are not required to do so. Further, since there are no earlier flights from SYR to ATL, they would have to fly to ATL the night before to go earlier (note that airlines do not pay for your hotel if you book an overnight connection).
the alternative would be to cancel their tix (they are fully refundable) and do an Expedia multi city booking wherein they’d stay with us in NYC overnight and then we’d all take the JFK flight together.

Understand that 40 minutes is a legal connection with Delta but legal times are aspirational rather than realistic (especially since Delta has a policy of not holding connecting flights—can say this from personal experience).

it was an 90 minute connection for them when they booked their tix-just fortunate that they paid for refundable since Delta pulled these shenanigans. (Delta did the same thing to us over the holidays and we missed our connecting by 10 minutes).
emma dog likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by racandee
the alternative would be to cancel their tix (they are fully refundable) and do an Expedia multi city booking wherein they’d stay with us in NYC overnight and then we’d all take the JFK flight together.

Understand that 40 minutes is a legal connection with Delta but legal times are aspirational rather than realistic (especially since Delta has a policy of not holding connecting flights—can say this from personal experience).

it was an 90 minute connection for them when they booked their tix-just fortunate that they paid for refundable since Delta pulled these shenanigans. (Delta did the same thing to us over the holidays and we missed our connecting by 10 minutes).
Note that overnight connections are permitted on international fares (except Canada) and it could be the same price as originally paid or DL may waive fare diff because of schedule change. So they could just fly from SYR to ATL the night before and meet you there for the ATL-BZE flight and avoid additional flight. Hotels are pretty cheap around ATL and we've booked overnight connections through there to Caribbean/Central America to provide a longer connection and avoid having to get up so early in the morning for flight to ATL.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 5, 2022 at 8:58 pm
Old Mar 6, 2022, 2:12 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
racandee , it seems like you have a good perspective on the situation and your options. 40 min is a little aspirational, meaning there’s a >50% chance they’d make it but it would be stressful. And as you point out, they’ll lose a day of vacation if they miss the once daily flight.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 6:43 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
I have a PHL-ATL-TUS flight coming up traveling on busy time with two grade school kids. Connection time is 55 minutes. As of now, it seems most flights from PHL arrive in Terminal D while TUS flights department terminal A. We are seated towards the back of the 757 arriving into ATL. Should I be asking flight attendants to see if we can get off the plane first or that is not needed?
Old Mar 6, 2022, 6:47 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Half the plane will have an hour or so connecting time and a lot of people behind you will have even less. Assuming a vaguely on time arrival it’s plenty of time for a pit stop and snacks between flights and the plane train makes getting between concourses easy.
opus2002 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 6:56 am

Programs: Delta Gold, United Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by opus2002
I have a PHL-ATL-TUS flight coming up traveling on busy time with two grade school kids. Connection time is 55 minutes. As of now, it seems most flights from PHL arrive in Terminal D while TUS flights department terminal A. We are seated towards the back of the 757 arriving into ATL. Should I be asking flight attendants to see if we can get off the plane first or that is not needed?
D is a regional jet concourse for DL - I doubt any PHL flights will arrive there.

Edit: I did board a 737 there once, but it's incredibly rare.
opus2002 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.